BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've noticed other board members mentioning the Gas Guzzler Tax. I know it's costing me 3K here in California. Is this a federal tax or state controlled tax? The fact that a Hummer doesn't have to pay the tax because it's considered a "truck" really pisses me off. How many Hummers in SoCal have ever left the asphalt!

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
AbruzziBoy said:
I've noticed other board members mentioning the Gas Guzzler Tax. I know it's costing me 3K here in California. Is this a federal tax or state controlled tax? The fact that a Hummer doesn't have to pay the tax because it's considered a "truck" really pisses me off. How many Hummers in SoCal have ever left the asphalt!
Federal law on cars only.

·
Registered
64 Posts
and you can thank the governator for that !!!

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
martybm5 said:
and you can thank the governator for that !!!
We've had the guzzler tax way before Arnold took office...

I do think it's crap that the H's don't have to pay it. If they can have a "normal" (non commercial) plate, they should have to pay GG tax.

Trucks with commercial plates have to pay additional taxes by weight in CA, right? I remember having to weigh a truck a long time ago to determine how much tax I would have to pay...

:cheers:

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
M-Fünf said:
I do think it's crap that the H's don't have to pay it. If they can have a "normal" (non commercial) plate, they should have to pay GG tax.
Rather no one should have to pay it. It's another dumb idea. Remember the luxury tax fiasco that just about killed the US Yacht industry and ultimately had to be repealed?

Tom

·
Registered
64 Posts
M-Fünf said:
We've had the guzzler tax way before Arnold took office...

Trucks with commercial plates have to pay additional taxes by weight in CA, right? I remember having to weigh a truck a long time ago to determine how much tax I would have to pay...

:cheers:
Arnold is actually the reason the hummer's dont have to pay it and are considered a 'truck' for 'commercial use'. He lobbied (sp?) congress for this in order to get the hummer brought to market.

·
Registered
829 Posts
Over here (The Netherlands) the Hummer is also concidered a truck by law. It's not because some rich bastard wanted it but because of it's weight, the number of seats and the payload it can carry.

All those combined put it in the truck category instead of car. I'm guessing in the US this is also the reason, but you guyz might be right, Arnie could've had a hand in this.

Because it is a truck you have to get a special licence which isn't easy and cheap to get, thise licence puts you in the so called "profesional chauffeur" category.

You also get a discount on gasoline and purchase taxes, which is absurd in my opinion. What can you do about it? Making an exception in the law for a Hummer is undone, specialy since there are very few of them here in NL. On the downside however, because of the weight and the load it puts on the roads to road tax is much much higher then any other car.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
martybm5 said:
Arnold is actually the reason the hummer's dont have to pay it and are considered a 'truck' for 'commercial use'. He lobbied (sp?) congress for this in order to get the hummer brought to market.
So that is the reason all of the bigger SUVs (not sure about the little ones) get away with not paying the tax? I don't think so.. they are all based on truck platforms (again, at least the larger ones are) and that is what gets them past the law, it had NOTHING to do with Arnold.

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
vndkshn said:
So that is the reason all of the bigger SUVs (not sure about the little ones) get away with not paying the tax? I don't think so.. they are all based on truck platforms (again, at least the larger ones are) and that is what gets them past the law, it had NOTHING to do with Arnold.
It was long before Arnold. This has been around since at least the 1980s.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
But the "conspiracy theorists" just can't believe that maybe not everything is caused by the current administrators... it gets old... I love it when someone spouts off facts like this without research to back it up.

I think that BMW should be ashamed of the mileage the M5 is getting.....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts