BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I searched and found a great post about replacing the gas flap actuator, but no one seemed to address the bowden cable coming out and how to get it back in the guide hole.

I was recently trying to replace my gas cap actuator and the bowden cable that runs from the actuator to the locking mechanism area in the fuel door, and the bowden cable must have came out of the little hole that guides the lock into the hole (haha). I can not seem to get it back in and after an hour of trying I just gave up. I can listen and feel, and it seems when i try to snake it through it gets really close, but i just cant ever seem to get it through the guide hole. Anybody have any suggestions for threading it back through?

And on another gas flap related issue, it seems like I never have a secure seal on my gas cap. I recently replaced my gas cap a month ago, and the first time i used it it had a great firm seal. The next time i went to fill up, it was not nearly as tight, and if I had to put my money on it, I would bet thats the reason my SES light is on. It seems like my old gas cap has a slightly better seal, but I feel like I am replacing my gas cap every few months? And known issues? Any possible remedys?

·
In Memoriam
4,624 Posts
I can only guess ... The filler pipe is soft aluminum ... and, it can be bent easily by gas pump nozzles (it happened on my 320i), if you aren't careful.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Are you talking about the locking thing?

If you're talking about the fuel door locking mechanism and the cable that runs from the actuator to the fuel door itself, I can help. I had to replace mine (actuator died) and i broke the stupid cable taking the actuator out. I ordered both the new cable and actuator and was struggling with how you're supposed to get the cable into the little hole by the fuel door.

If you look in the fuel door, there is a little rubber grommet that the end of the cable goes into. Grab the rubber grommet at the base and turn 1/4 to 1/2 turn and then pull it out. Use some electric tape to tape a 10-12" piece of wire to the end of the cable that terminates in the fuel door. Then feed the cable back from the fuel door towards the trunk. The extra wire you taped on allows you enough room to hook the cable to the actuator and bolt that back in. You then gently pull the wire back thru the fuel door until the end of the cable comes thru. Remove the wire and tape and pop the grommet back on.

Hope that helps.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts