BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
927 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would someone be kind enough to explain how to program the garage door opener? Where is it in the owner's manual? Thanks in advance

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
1) turn ignition on to the second position

2) Hold down the two outside buttons on the universal transmitter until the indicator light begins to flash (20-30 seconds). Then release the buttons. This initializes the memory and erases any previous settings on all three channels.

3) hold the end of your hand-held transmitter against the front surface of the univ transmitter so you can still see the indicator light.

4) using both hands, push the hand-held transmitter button and the desired button (the one you want this transmitter programmed on?) Continue pressing both buttons through step 5.

5) hold down both buttons until you see the indicator light on the BMW univ transmitter flash, first slowly and then rapidly. It indicates that you have successfully programmed the universal transmitter to learn the new frequency signal. Release both buttons once the rapid flashing begins.

To program another button, REPEAT STEPS 3 through 5 ONLY!! .

Hope this helps?...

------------------
Andy

2000 Imola M5 / Black Nappa - Titanium Trim

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
If you program one now and weeks later want to add one, what do you do. Clear all and reset or just follow procedures #3 through #5. I just tried adding a second remote to the universal remote and finally resulted in clearing and installing both remotes. Am I right? If so I think that should be improved so you can add remotes at will without erasing and reloading them all over again.

Twice now that was the only way it worked for me. Any thoughts on this?

------------------
Jim
07/00 M5 Titanium over Red

·
Registered
533 Posts

·
Registered
5,353 Posts
Don't forget. If you have a garage door opener with "rolling codes" (continuously variable codes that change according to a built-in algorithm), you need to perform an additional step before your M5 remote (yes, it's std. and built in to the roof near the sunroof switch) will work. You need to locate the "learn" button on your garage door opener (the part with the motor!). After programming your car remote first, press the learn button on the garage door opener and then w/in like 10 secs., press the opener on the car twice. The first one logs in your remote and synchs it to the opener, the second should actually operate the door. It could take a couple of tries. Some openers don't give you much time to climb down the ladder, jump in the car and push the button (the key has to be turned to position II), as they all seem to assume you have a hand held remote, which of course you can operate while still standing on the ladder. Better yet, get a helper to push the remote in the car. A nice thing about the remote buttons on the M5 is that they're lighted. On some other cars that have this feature, they're not, which makes it a bit of a fumble when opening the door at night.

·
Registered
417 Posts
If you make your garage opener learn what the universal trasmitter is transmitting, what happens to the regular remote? My other car does not have a built-in opener and if this process messes up the the functionality of the regular remote then I can't do it. It'll probably be fine but I just want to make sure before I reprogram my opener.

Thanks,
-Shawn

·
Registered
844 Posts
And it works great. I have it progammed for my garage door opened and both my front and back security gates at home. I never have to look for the remotes again; until I change the battery and have to re-program I guess.

------------------

·
Registered
137 Posts
this is one option that is not available in the UK, I wanted this option but was told although it's in the manual I could not have it

Gary

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Well Gary, maybe you need to ask your brother's on this side of the pond if someone will pick one up for you and ship it?
I'm sure we can work something out in trade!

------------------
Mark
2000 Dinan M5
2001 X5 4.4 Sport

Mark's M5 Page
X5 Page
[email protected]

·
Registered
90 Posts
got to tell you guys - this is the best board on any subject that i've ever seen. this thread should be a prototype for how to use the internet.

·
Registered
927 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks to all for your help. Yes, this is one incredible board with very helpful members.

Blue Max: My car is LeMans Blue with Caramel interior and I live in GA.

Thanks again!!!

·
Registered
323 Posts
Are there any garage door opener brands that this will not work with??? My MBenz wouldn't recognize my old, beat up garage door opener!!!!

·
Registered
5,353 Posts
Don't know which ones won't work. But hey, you're springing for an $80k car. What's a few more $ for a new garage door opener?

·
Registered
187 Posts
Originally posted by Need4Spd:
...Some openers don't give you much time to climb down the ladder, jump in the car and push the button (the key has to be turned to position II), as they all seem to assume you have a hand held remote, which of course you can operate while still standing on the ladder. Better yet, get a helper to push the remote in the car....
OK, so when I was programming mine nobody was around to help out. I looked around the garage for something to help me press either the M5 door opener button or the GD opener "learn" button. Eureka! I wedged a golf club (I believe it was a "3-metal") between the leather seat and the roof and used the club's handle to press the button. Man, how pitiful can you get...!

·
Registered
5,353 Posts
Good one! It'd never work for me, since I play tennis, not golf, and the racquet's too short!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts