BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So today while I was washing the M, I thought I'd take the rear lights out and clean out the crap that collects behind them.

While cleaning I noticed the below : A gap between my rear bumper and the bootlid area big enough to get the end of my little finger in (pause for onslaught of crude jokes...)

I'm guessing this isn't normal for BMW build standards so I'm presuming the bumper's been off at some point and put back lower than it should be?

It's worth noting that at the rear wheel arches the gap looks normal, and drops from there.

Is this an easy 'loosen bolts and lift bumper' fix?

·
Registered
690 Posts
They probably "left it hanging" during assembly. Just undo mentioned nuts and pull the bumper up a little. Gap should be 5-6mm all around.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Okay thanks for the help everyone! I'll have a look hopefully today and post a 'fixed' picture!

·
Registered
381 Posts
8 years and still no "fixed" picture. LOL. I have the same exact problem. Hoping that adjusting the height where the struts mount to the car is the fix.

·
Registered
381 Posts
YES! the 6 (3 per side) bumper strut bolts fixed it. Mine was at the absolute bottom setting, which was awful. Now it's perfect!

·
Registered
235 Posts
Got mine back after rust repair of the 2 small holes hidden by the bumper and the paint shop bolted it back too low, simple fix to loosen the nuts in the boot and adjust it to fit evenly.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 - 12 of 12 Posts