BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hopefully soon I’m going to tackle replacing the “transmission cover” of my g280 in my M5. This is the rear most section of the transmission with the transmission mounting tabs. One of my mounting tabs is broken, and when I bought the car it came with a brand new replacement transmission cover. Usually it’s more economical to weld it, but I already have the part. My question; are there any special tools I will need to tackle the job? I’ve got a homemade deep and skinny 30mm socket for the output flange, and all of the associated parts like new seals and plugs. It seems like getrag doesn’t readily supply the info needed to tear one of these apart.

·
Registered
429 Posts
you can't pull off the rear cover without pulling off the whole front cover. Special tools required: puller for front cover, puller for rear cover and a very bespoke puller for re-installing the front cover (more correctly, for pulling the input shaft through the input bearing). It's very time-consuming, though not a very difficult job if you have the right pullers.

If your transmission is working well, not making noises, not leaking etc. I'd be leaving it alone and welding the flange.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The transmission doesn’t grind into gears. And it’s at 130k miles. I do have drivetrain noise from about 40mph to 70mph, more prominent on accel than when on decel. It’s leaking from the selector seal and the output seal. It probably should just be pulled and gone through, I don’t want to cut any corners with this “restoration” I’m doing. I think I’ll pull the trans and see if any shops near me are up for the task. Worst come to worst I’ll weld the flange and stick it back in. Either way the trans should come out and get resealed and the clutch inspected.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I’m curious why the front cover needs to come off to get the rear cover off. Are there bits that need to come off that are only accessible from the inside of that sandwich plate?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Back in 2000, I was an apprentice in a BMW workshop, I remember we tried to do exactly the same thing. Pull off a back cover from a G280, to replace it due to a broken mounting tab. After we struggled to figure out why it can't be done, mind you, information wasn't readily available in my country back then, we gave up the plan and sent the whole gearbox to a welding shop. Got it back, nicely welded, changed the fluid, and popped it back into the car. Everything was honky dory for couple of years on, until the owner blew the engine, and retrofitted the car with m50b25. What a waste. 🙈

·
Registered
429 Posts
I’m curious why the front cover needs to come off to get the rear cover off. Are there bits that need to come off that are only accessible from the inside of that sandwich plate?
As you correctly said, you need to release stuff from the front side of the intermediate housing. Namely the selector shaft. It needs to be withdrawn rearwards, but is pinned to a fork deep in the bowels of the gearbox.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts