BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
About a month ago the techs at my BMW dealer noted that there was a slight leak in my 2002 M5's valve cover gaskets. The gaskets were replaced as was the oil filler cap due to the fact that since I purchased the car I would notice a slight oil leak from the cap onto the engine block. This work was done at roughy 55,000 miles. My monthly oil consumption was roughly 0.5 to 1 full quart of 5w-30 (driving 1,000-2,000 miles per month).

During the last several weekly checks of the oil level in the engine, I have noted that after replacement of valve cover gaskets and replacement of oil filler cap no slight leaking from oil filler cap and oil consumption has been reduced significantly. Specifically, the rate of oil consumption appears to have been reduced by 50 to 80 percent.

Just food for thought on the whole M5 oil consumption issue.

/Rich

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
I'm glad it worked out for you, I've replaced my oil cap 3 times and oil STILL leaks out of it. I don't know what the problem is.

·
Registered
5 Posts
i didn't have them do the job. I'll pay myself to do it...and from other comments, its more likely that the rubber grommets under the cover bolts are the problem. Much easier to replace the few failed ones, one at a time. Just need to be careful not to strip or snap the bolts going back on

·
Registered
232 Posts
i didn't have them do the job. I'll pay myself to do it...and from other comments, its more likely that the rubber grommets under the cover bolts are the problem. Much easier to replace the few failed ones, one at a time. Just need to be careful not to strip or snap the bolts going back on
My car is doing the same thing with a leaky VCG and oil filler cap. My consumption is like that of OP's up there, so once I get my refund check I'm gonna take a portion to overhall the M with maintenance and replace those items. They don't appear to be very difficult to get to, and as long as your have your patience and are careful of what you're doing, it'll be easy.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Mine seemed to drink oil when I got it, would be a bit damp by oil cap.
Cut a ring same shape as rubber seal of cap out of gasket paper, put it under rubber, nice and tight and no leak or consumption.
Surprising how what looks like a slight weep can lose you litres of oil.

·
Registered
732 Posts
what did you get charged to replace the valve cover gaskets

annapolis md bmw quoted me $1500 !
HAHA, After I did my Valve Cover gaskets and spark plugs I called BMW out of curiosity as to how much they would charge...I about crapped my pants when they said about $1800!!! I am SO glad I am a DIYer!

I am thinking I had the same issue with oil consumption, I have not had to add oil for a few months now.

·
Registered
732 Posts
how tough was it to get to your plugs?
how many miles on the car when u changed them?
how did they look?

I did not find it hard, though I have been working on BMW's for about 10 years, and I can easily swap and engine and transmission without hesitation, so my idea of easy and yours may differ.

102392 miles, I would have to check my records to see if they were ever replaced, but if they were, they were replaced by BMW because they had the symbol on the plugs.

The plugs looked dirty but not that bad.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts