BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I noticed my oil filter mounts were busted a few weeks ago. I went on pelican parts to find the part 11421407441. The part cost $20.75 for a rubber mount. I noticed the power steering reservoir has similar mounts 64121365602 which is $6.25. So I ordered the power steering mounts. Perfect fit.:biggrinbounce: See pics.:thumbsup:

Attachments

·
Registered
410 Posts
wow...what a blatant ripoff...good find!!!

·
Super Moderator
4,825 Posts
Thanks for posting this. I've thought about this every time I inspect my mounts after oil changes. The two types look different, but hopefully you can keep us in the loop as to whether they last differently.

·
In Memoriam
4,624 Posts
Mine are definitely different ... They may be OK, but they are not the same part. Maybe a previous owner did the same thing you did.

(The rubber on mine is round, not hexagonal.)

·
10,444 Posts
Mine are definitely different ... They may be OK, but they are not the same part. Maybe a previous owner did the same thing you did.

(The rubber on mine is round, not hexagonal.)
i don't think the OP is implying they are the same, but functionally they do the same thing. Perhaps the "proper" round oil filter mounts are stronger, since they have to deal with more forces/torque of the occasional oil filter change. But that said, they still seem to fail every 50k miles or so.

·
In Memoriam
4,624 Posts
i don't think the OP is implying they are the same, but functionally they do the same thing. Perhaps the "proper" round oil filter mounts are stronger, since they have to deal with more forces/torque of the occasional oil filter change. But that said, they still seem to fail every 50k miles or so.
You're right. I went back and reread. He said "similar."

The round ones may be stronger, but you can use a "strap wrench" to hold the housing when torquing the cover, to reduce tearing.

·
Registered
5,353 Posts
I could swear I paid less than $15 (via mail order dealer) for the pair of mine that I replaced. Maybe they sent me the "wrong" ones, but I don't think so.

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
i'd have to dig into my papers but when i got my replacement filter housing mounts from the dealer, i might have paid 5 ea...

prolly less

·
Registered
57 Posts
Loose bracket

Has anyone had an issue with the bracket coming loose from the strut tower? My mount bolts for the oil filter and PS reservoir are not loose, but the bracket they attach to is not securely mounted to the strut tower.

·
Registered
265 Posts
FML! I replaced mine last night along with my front cupholders and rear swaybar brackets. I ended up having to file a groove in the top of the broken mount so that i could remove it with a screw driver. Those hexagonal mounts look much easier for future removal. Oh well.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I noticed my oil filter mounts were busted a few weeks ago. I went on pelican parts to find the part 11421407441. The part cost $20.75 for a rubber mount. I noticed the power steering reservoir has similar mounts 64121365602 which is $6.25. So I ordered the power steering mounts. Perfect fit.:biggrinbounce: See pics.👍

Thanks for the tip Blaque. Just got mine out of storage (had the oil changed when I stored it) and noticed both oil mounts were broken. Local dealer wanted $75 for the oil mounts and still wanted $50 for these mounts (plus tax).

Was able to order the power steering mounts from BMW San Francisco off Amazon for $26 w/free shipping. Thanks for saving me some bucks!

·
Registered
445 Posts
You can get an equivalent part (or better) from your local agricultural machinery supplier for a dollar or two each, that machinery uses loads of these kind of mounts..... worth remembering for next time.

·
Registered
3,863 Posts
There are at least two threads that provide suitable replacements for both the power steering fluid reservoir and oil filter housing that cost a few dollars each. I know I've posted in at least two.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Aren’t those too thick? The M5 uses a thinner mount for the oil filter than standard e39’s, about 1/4” thick. This is what I ordered and they fit perfectly. If you use a thicker mount, the little leg at the bottom of the oil filter housing won’t seat properly in the hole.

If they do end up being the proper ones, please let everyone know, I’ll buy several sets at that price. As a reference, here is the pic that BlaqueM5 posted showing the new mounts (this is what I ordered).

·
Registered
100 Posts
Aren’t those too thick? The M5 uses a thinner mount for the oil filter than standard e39’s, about 1/4” thick. This is what I ordered and they fit perfectly. If you use a thicker mount, the little leg at the bottom of the oil filter housing won’t seat properly in the hole.

[/URL]

If they do end up being the proper ones, please let everyone know, I’ll buy several sets at that price. As a reference, here is the pic that BlaqueM5 posted showing the new mounts (this is what I ordered).

View attachment 930854
Interesting. Would you be so kind as to measure the diameter, height and stud length/thread of the OE mount? Might be able to order a generic solution for less.
Example:

·
Registered
801 Posts
Interesting. Would you be so kind as to measure the diameter, height and stud length/thread of the OE mount? Might be able to order a generic solution for less.
Example:
You’ll find a link to the McMaster-Carr equivalent in this thread-
https://www.m5board.com/threads/oil-filter-housing-mounts.496402/

Member here sells another option as well-
https://www.m5board.com/threads/upgraded-oil-filter-housing-mounts.498394/

·
Registered
6 Posts
Example:
KrautHammer, don’t have the original mounts, they were literally falling apart and I already threw them away. Like I said, just make sure the little leg/post on the bottom of the oil filter housing goes in the hole and seats securely. I’m afraid the thicker mounts will prevent that.

I can give you the specs of the mounts I bought in a couple days. I store my M5 at a warehouse.

·
Registered
3,863 Posts

The last one here has McMaster-Carr part numbers for the ones I use.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
About this Discussion
20 Replies
15 Participants
TheMagician
BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums
M5Board is the best forum community for information on the BMW M5 E60 (V-10), E39 (V-8), E34 (straight 6), E28, F90 and F10. Discuss performance, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing