BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Smokestack said:
Mmm-Five,

Are these thought to be any better than the floating discs on the 6-speeds?
Not sure - they are better than the earlier M5 brakes, but not sure if I'd swap my later brakes for them. They may stand up to track use better, though I've not had much of a problem with the standard ones. I'd have to test a set on my M5 to compare, but for the price they were on when I saw them I thought it might make a cheap option for someone who was looking to upgrade to the later brakes anyway.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Smokestack said:
Mmm-Five,

Are these thought to be any better than the floating discs on the 6-speeds?
Depends on how you drive your M5 :hihi:

I have these on my M5 - all I can say is they are a MASSIVE improvement over the standard non floating brakes - and absolutley vital on a track, but I dont really use their power on the road.

Having followed mmm-Five on a track day I would surmise that the floating brakes are so much better than the non floating ones that the Improvement would be much more marginal - and probably only really noticeable on a track - or very hard road use.

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Since I've started using proper sticky tyres, I've also noticed that the brakes are even better than when on road tyres. There is so much braking force that you think your head's going to fly off - especially braking from an indicated 135mph up Avon Rise (that's a good 15mph faster than I ever got on road tyres).

Suspension is still a bit soft as everyone at Combe was saying that thought I was going to lose it everytime I braked up Avon Rise as the car was bouncing everywhere - although all it was doing was keeping all 4 wheels in contact with the track. Hopefully my Touring rear ARB will help a little and maybe new bushes.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Mmm-Five said:
Since I've started using proper sticky tyres, I've also noticed that the brakes are even better than when on road tyres. There is so much braking force that you think your head's going to fly off - especially braking from an indicated 135mph up Avon Rise (that's a good 15mph faster than I ever got on road tyres).

Suspension is still a bit soft as everyone at Combe was saying that thought I was going to lose it everytime I braked up Avon Rise as the car was bouncing everywhere - although all it was doing was keeping all 4 wheels in contact with the track. Hopefully my Touring rear ARB will help a little and maybe new bushes.
Do you lock your suspension inot sport - or whatever it is you chaps with the nurburgring option can do?

I long since lost my adjustable dampers when the front shocks failed and for less rthan the price of two fron units grrrrrrr I went for dinan springs and bilstein gas shocks all round , including adjustable ARB's.

It is stiffer than standard on the road - but still a bit soft if you really go for it round a track

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Phlem5 said:
Mmm-5, what's 'property sticky tyres', are you using slicks?

cheers,
Phil.
Was using some Pirelli P-Zero C Dry tyres (got 7 part worns for £50).

However just got a good deal on some 225/640x17 Silverstone S585 rally tyres.

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
martinhp said:
Do you lock your suspension inot sport - or whatever it is you chaps with the nurburgring option can do?

I long since lost my adjustable dampers when the front shocks failed and for less rthan the price of two fron units grrrrrrr I went for dinan springs and bilstein gas shocks all round , including adjustable ARB's.

It is stiffer than standard on the road - but still a bit soft if you really go for it round a track
'S' mode normally all the time - however 'P' mode on wet trackdays for gooning. I don't know if it's just me, but 'S' mode also seems to tighten up the steering.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
are those things road legal? I know a caterham owner who swears by Yoko A008r's for track days. Excuse my spelling mistake with ty on the end of proper, I was on the phone to scottish Water when I posted.

Phil.

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Phlem5 said:
are those things road legal? I know a caterham owner who swears by Yoko A008r's for track days. Excuse my spelling mistake with ty on the end of proper, I was on the phone to scottish Water when I posted.

Phil.
No, not road legal, but not being used on the road anyway :biggrin:

Caterhams are probably a quarter of the weight of M5s so can get away with a soft tyre and still make them last 3 months :hihi:

A supersoft tyre will last me 20 minutes. The P-Zero C's lasted two events and I've still got 4 left that will be used again before I put the Silverstone's on.

You don't see many part worn, 17/18" A008r's though and they are about £200 each new. My Silverstones cost less than that for the 6 (but only because they guy selling them needed a larger size for his new car). Just need to keep finding bargains and I'll be fine.

·
Moderator Emeritus
4,273 Posts
martinhp said:
Depends on how you drive your M5 :hihi:

I have these on my M5 - all I can say is they are a MASSIVE improvement over the standard non floating brakes - and absolutley vital on a track, but I dont really use their power on the road.

Having followed mmm-Five on a track day I would surmise that the floating brakes are so much better than the non floating ones that the Improvement would be much more marginal - and probably only really noticeable on a track - or very hard road use.
Ive just fitted complete new discs pads & calipers at the rear with new floating discs & rebuilt 4 pot ///M calipers at the front end.

The brakes are now bedded in. They are a vast improvement over the old stuff but its difficult to compare directly as the old discs were shagged..
yes, I think thats the technical word that best describes them. :hihihi:

I have made several trips to the Nurburgring with the old setup but using intermediate pads & by & large, the old girl coped well...2 laps at a time... one warm up & a quick (for me) lap
3 laps back to back in mid summer would soon put that one in doubt though. The only problem has been replacement of one set of dust seals which disintegrated after the Nurburgring last yr.

Those AP brakes do not have dust seals on the pistons. The AP Racing CP5200 4 Pot range used to offer calipers with dust seals but the 6 pot items dont have them. If you strip them regularly & maintain them as you would a race caliper, then no problem..but

IMHO this is a major drawback for road use.... Seized piston & warped rotor anyone ?

Dust seals ...Dont you just love em.

Farrell

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
No doubt that set up on ebay has been getting a few hits today but I doubt the guy will get a bid if he's starting a £700, more so now with the seal situation, well observed. Farrell since you posted your 'pimped' thread I priced the big setup at the dealer's, disc's £112 each, and those big muver ATE calipers are £510 ish each, I can get them @ £88 / £445 FYI, but still thats a fair ammount of dough. There seems to be a few alternative's on offer @ ebay i.e. Porsche/Brembo calipers, I noticed a nice prodrive scooby set up as well, don't know if the disc's would fit e34 hubs?? but I reckon a brake upgrade could be had for less than £700.
What ever happened to the set infinicar withdrew from ebay.....and what about Burton's AP's????

Phil.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Phlem5 said:

Phil.
:haha:

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
My AP's are still on the car... I am keeping a low profile as I might of found a way to keep the M!!! I love the 6Pots!! they are awesome brakes!!! Proved well at Bedford and the Ring!!!!! never once did I feel that I wasn't going to make it!!

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
BURTON said:
My AP's are still on the car... I am keeping a low profile as I might of found a way to keep the M!!! I love the 6Pots!! they are awesome brakes!!! Proved well at Bedford and the Ring!!!!! never once did I feel that I wasn't going to make it!!
-----------

thats good news Burton, hope you get to keep it.

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
I am trying!! Don't want to let her go!!! Took ages to find this car also. Those who have seen her will know that she is a good example!!

·
Registered
868 Posts
Mmm-Five said:

Is this with the standard 'soot' BMW brake pads or are you using some exotic stuff?

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Standard charcoal pads - keep meaning to try some Ferodo DS2500, Pagids, or such but never get around to it. It's such a quick job the these brakes as well - especially now that I've got a 24v impact wrench :cool2:

You'll have to come to Combe or Donnington some time.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Donnington you say, I think If was to travel to any track down sowf that would be my prefered option, how much for a day there ?.

Phil.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts