BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everybody, I recently want to trade my current 09 Jaguar XF to a M6. And I've been seeing u guys' post for a week.
Now I have an option that is a 07 Monaco blue Metallica with 31118 miles on it. With Eisenmann exhaust, 21 inch AC type IV wheels.
It offers for $49880. Is this a good deal ? Or I have a lot of room to negotiate? It's offered by a dealer in Seattle and I am living in Seattle
area. Also, I have notice that some of members here are from Seattle as well. Hope you guys can give me some advices.

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
Nice , the color is good also close to mine ;) and the mileage is good too for a 07 M6 , if you can negotiate the price with the dealer i say go for it , you will love it :) good luck .
Abdullah

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
Hello everybody, I recently want to trade my current 09 Jaguar XF to a M6. And I've been seeing u guys' post for a week.
Now I have an option that is a 07 Monaco blue Metallica with 31118 miles on it. With Eisenmann exhaust, 21 inch AC type IV wheels.
It offers for $49880. Is this a good deal ? Or I have a lot of room to negotiate? It's offered by a dealer in Seattle and I am living in Seattle
area. Also, I have notice that some of members here are from Seattle as well. Hope you guys can give me some advices.
The vehicle and its mods sound great! IMO, ALWAYS negotiate. A few other questions: Is the vehicle at a dealer or with an individual? If with a dealer is it a BMW Dealer and is the vehicle certified? What about books and records? is it a one or multiple owner vehicle?

IMO, all of these factors are important in determining value.
Good luck and I hope this helps. :cheers:

·
8,369 Posts
Hi there Dee.

I am here in Everett, WA so close enough to Seattle.

My input: The M6 is the best car I have ever owned.
No other car puts a bigger smile on my face every time I drive it.

However, as I am sure you are aware - BMW are very expensive cars to maintain and they are not the most reliable.
That's why when I buy an M car - I go for low mileage and a CPO, that way I'm protected up to 100K miles.

This is my 4th BMW. I have owned 528i, 540i, M5, then now the M6.
As q8kamikaze and others can attest - these beasts can be a pain to maintain and maintenance aint cheap.
So just something to consider and think about possibly finding a CPO M6.

I think the asking price is a little on the high side. So if you really want it - make sure you negotiate well.
Good luck to you!

Feel free to call me if you want to chat some more, just remind me when you call that you belong to the M6 board asking for input so I wont mistaken you for a solicitor : )

Dan 425-280-7399

·
Registered
132 Posts
Hmm--- interesting thread. Should be many more in the market --- so finding an M6 with warranty and service left as well as the extended maintenance is more critical IMHO than any mods. Suggest you make certain the one you are considering has extended maint and warranty package. Original owner had the option to purchase 2 more years and another 100k for about $3,500. If not -- even with low mileage, being an 07 puts it out of warranty and service. Again, IMO you'd be safer looking for a car with the extended maint and warranty, say an 08 with the add-on maint. And, again consider with the mods you mentioned --- exhaust and tires, more important to have the fob read at a stealership to see what the engine's been subjected to --- (launches, redline for every shift -- over-revs, etc) These are amazingly fun cars but they can be abused despite built in safeguards. And without a warranty I'd be very very picky about condition and history. My suggestion to you is to pay more for a car with the maint and warranty and enjoy trouble free or at least no cost maint for a few years. And finally, I recall that BMW does not offer CPO for the M cars.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The vehicle and its mods sound great! IMO, ALWAYS negotiate. A few other questions: Is the vehicle at a dealer or with an individual? If with a dealer is it a BMW Dealer and is the vehicle certified? What about books and records? is it a one or multiple owner vehicle?

IMO, all of these factors are important in determining value.
Good luck and I hope this helps. :cheers:
It is not a BMW dealer, it carries a lot of sports cars. And the car is not certified. But have a clean slate one-owner carfax record. The
30000 mile service is just done as well.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi there Dee.

I am here in Everett, WA so close enough to Seattle.

My input: The M6 is the best car I have ever owned.
No other car puts a bigger smile on my face every time I drive it.

However, as I am sure you are aware - BMW are very expensive cars to maintain and they are not the most reliable.
That's why when I buy an M car - I go for low mileage and a CPO, that way I'm protected up to 100K miles.

This is my 4th BMW. I have owned 528i, 540i, M5, then now the M6.
As q8kamikaze and others can attest - these beasts can be a pain to maintain and maintenance aint cheap.
So just something to consider and think about possibly finding a CPO M6.

I think the asking price is a little on the high side. So if you really want it - make sure you negotiate well.
Good luck to you!

Feel free to call me if you want to chat some more, just remind me when you call that you belong to the M6 board asking for input so I wont mistaken you for a solicitor : )

Dan 425-280-7399
Thanks alot dan, It is hard to find CPO M6 recently and I also have to trade my jaguar XF in as well. So it will be much easier to find
a local dealer. And I have another option, it is 08 gray stocked one with 14000miles one it at Tacoma. which offers for 59000, sure there is still some negotiation room . However I dont really like gray so much

·
Registered
132 Posts
A bit more --- we here are also on our 4th BMW --- and I agree with whatheheck, they are certainly not inexpensive. However, reliability is a factor mostly associated with bits other than the drivetrain, provided the engine and etc is maintained -- oil service being a fundamental. But consider this: just had brakes all-around on the CFO's 2001 740iL --- $400 a corner with new rotors and etc. (yes, this was necessary), a door locking system failure cost a grand last year, coil overs for the sparks another ---- well, you get the point.

My M6 --- has full extended service and warranty so --- no-cost maint. I also restricted mods to Dinan, they have an agreement with BMW that preserves the fact'y warranty, no one else does this. My M6 is the pleasure rocket not a daily so low miles, but the durability seems quite robust, no issues. Without warranty and service I can't imagine---recall that a member recently bought a pre-owned car and promptly had a VIOS system go kaflooey and spew little metal bits throughout, every oil pump and tank, top end both banks etc. --- had to be at least a $15k fix if it didn't get to the crank and rods, but he had warranty/service and BMW opted to rebuild no cost.

So the repeat --for you ----you should really try to find a car with remaining warranty and service. Old saw: "The bitterness of poor quality lingers long after the sweetness of a low price..." $49k for a modded M6 with no warranty might not be a good deal.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hmm--- interesting thread. Should be many more in the market --- so finding an M6 with warranty and service left as well as the extended maintenance is more critical IMHO than any mods. Suggest you make certain the one you are considering has extended maint and warranty package. Original owner had the option to purchase 2 more years and another 100k for about $3,500. If not -- even with low mileage, being an 07 puts it out of warranty and service. Again, IMO you'd be safer looking for a car with the extended maint and warranty, say an 08 with the add-on maint. And, again consider with the mods you mentioned --- exhaust and tires, more important to have the fob read at a stealership to see what the engine's been subjected to --- (launches, redline for every shift -- over-revs, etc) These are amazingly fun cars but they can be abused despite built in safeguards. And without a warranty I'd be very very picky about condition and history. My suggestion to you is to pay more for a car with the maint and warranty and enjoy trouble free or at least no cost maint for a few years. And finally, I recall that BMW does not offer CPO for the M cars.
The dealer told me this car is still covered by warranty and I have no idea how long it will be worn off. Another question is how much could a warranty cost if I have to extend it? both for 1year option and 2 year option ?

·
Registered
132 Posts
Color? If the 08 grey has the extended warranty and service, is stock and 14k miles, the color grey will become extremely pleasant in the comfort of a warranty, lavish even -- you will learn to love grey, trust me. The $10k bump for a lower mileage 08 much better I'd say, than a clean carfax at a non-bmw sports car dealer. Remember the sports car dealer bought the M6 at auction --- when no BMW dealer wanted it? hmmmmmmm. Mods maybe? Often the sports car "independents" floor something like an M6 to pull traffic, but its not their main business. Without knowing who's selling the car, I'd still be suspicious that it's not at a BMW dealer. For the level of complexity of these beasts, go with the lower miles and the BMW dealership. But you HAVE to get the extended warranty at that price.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Easy answers
1. The new car warranty and service is 3 years and 50,000 niles --- whichever comes first. Clock starts to tick at the date of registered sale. So, an 08 i close to the end of the 3 year limit.

2. The bmw extended warranty costs 3495 or close to it -- adds 50,000 miles and 2 years. So an 08 would go to 2014.

3. I recall the extension is sold to the first owner as an accessory. G

Get really clear with the dealer on the warranty and service status

4. Ask for a printout of the FOB electronic records -- BOTH fobs. And have the service mgr go over it with you

Good luck

Grey is the color of the best surface combatants in the world --- never mind a bulletproof FA-18C -- see you're liking grey a bit more already

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Color? If the 08 grey has the extended warranty and service, is stock and 14k miles, the color grey will become extremely pleasant in the comfort of a warranty, lavish even -- you will learn to love grey, trust me. The $10k bump for a lower mileage 08 much better I'd say, than a clean carfax at a non-bmw sports car dealer. Remember the sports car dealer bought the M6 at auction --- when no BMW dealer wanted it? hmmmmmmm. Mods maybe? Often the sports car "independents" floor something like an M6 to pull traffic, but its not their main business. Without knowing who's selling the car, I'd still be suspicious that it's not at a BMW dealer. For the level of complexity of these beasts, go with the lower miles and the BMW dealership. But you HAVE to get the extended warranty at that price.
I have to call the dealer and double check the cars warranty whether extended or not, moreover, if the 07 got long enough extended warranty, what should be my choice? In addition, I am driving the car most for pleasure and short commuter, gonna pull about 6000miles per year.

·
Registered
132 Posts
08 will have no warranty or service after a 2011 anniv of the sale date (if it was sold in 08) If it was sold in 07 as an 08 model, then no warranty/service unless the first owner bought extended. If extended then it goes to 2 extra years.

07 out of warranty unless it has the BMW fact'y extended in which case add 2 years to the original 3 starting from date of retail sale. Again if sold as an 07 in late 06, then even less remaining if it ever had the extended.

Regardless, if the last two cars in the market --- go for lower miles and no mods. 08 grey

Strongly advise you do diligent homework and see everything in writing. BMW writing. If the sporty car stealer or the BMW store won't give you a clear reply , WALK. Well-kept, warranted M6's are not that rare -- yet.

·
Registered
132 Posts
btw...there is no 30k service per se. The maintenance intervals, oil service, etc are calculated by these beasts based upon use, hours or the calendar. The iDrive will have the current service intervals, oil life -- remaining life of systems such as brakes, etc. Sit in the car - ignition on and pull up the maintenance charts. And get the FOB readouts -- if they are not made available -- WALK.

Okay best I can offer.

Good luck --- love that grey-- matches Seattle skies, yes? (Sorry -- Malibu dig)

·
Registered
132 Posts
One more post -Dee:

google "bmw extended warranty information" and open the BMWusa page direct to this topic, should be 3rd down the list (BMW Ultimate Protection Program)-- then find and download the brochure (topic header: for more information, it will be about 3/4 down the page in the right block), it will be downloaded as BMW EVP (2pages) pdf--- presents a very robust range of warranty options explained. Print this and take it to the stealership.

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
Easy answers
1. The new car warranty and service is 3 years and 50,000 niles --- whichever comes first. Clock starts to tick at the date of registered sale. So, an 08 i close to the end of the 3 year limit.

2. The bmw extended warranty costs 3495 or close to it -- adds 50,000 miles and 2 years. So an 08 would go to 2014.

3. I recall the extension is sold to the first owner as an accessory. G

Get really clear with the dealer on the warranty and service status

4. Ask for a printout of the FOB electronic records -- BOTH fobs. And have the service mgr go over it with you

Good luck

Grey is the color of the best surface combatants in the world --- never mind a bulletproof FA-18C -- see you're liking grey a bit more already
Great information!
A couple of updated points:

New Car is 4 yrs and 50k, from date of service. Additionally, if the car was placed in service as a demo or used by a sales person for even one day, the warranty is extended by an additional 3 months and 5,000 miles.

I managed to negotiate the cost on the additional warranty to 3,100 so there is room in the list price of the service contract.

There is currently a 1 day M School AND $1,500 in the form of 3, $500 credits on your first 3 payments thereby lowering your cost by another $1,500. Take advantage! Here is the boilerplate from BMW NA:

* To qualify for the one day M Driving School offer at the BMW Performance Center in Greer, SC customer must enter into a retail sale contract between February 1, 2011 and May 2, 2011. Offer valid on 2007 and 2008 CPO M models using standard BMW FS rates, and cannot be combined with any other BMW FS Program. Approved customers must hold a valid driver's license, and will receive a voucher for one day M Driving School. The voucher is valid for one year from the retail process date of their purchase, and cannot be exchanged for cash value. The one day M driving School voucher is non-transferable, only the customer associated with the VIN is eligible. The customer is responsible for all transport to and from the BMW Performance Center, and for any and all transportation, accommodation, and meals associated with the program. **CPO special offers are valid only for qualified customers who finance a Certified Pre-Owned (CPO) BMW through BMW Financial Services (BMW FS) at a participating BMW center. Not all BMW centers participate. To qualify, you must enter into a retail installment sale contract between March 1, 2011 and May 2, 2011. The up to $1,500.00 payment credit is available on eligible 2007 M models, 2008 model year 3, 5, 6, 7, Series, X5 and Z4, and M models using standard BMW FS rates. BMW FS will reimburse up to $500.00 per month of the first three payments due, customer will be billed for payment in excess of $500.00 credit each month, and if payment is below $500.00 credit, there is no additional credit beyond the three months or $1,500.00, whichever is greater. Program not available to customers refinancing or leasing their current vehicle that is financed or leased through BMW FS. Financing starting at 0.9% APR is available on Certified Pre-Owned 2007 3 series, and 2008 model year 3, 5, 6, 7, X3, X5 and Z4 and 2008 MY 1 Series (M models excluded). The no cost maintenance offer is valid for up to 6 years or 100,000 miles from the original in-service date, whichever comes first on 2008 MY 3, 5, 6, 7, X5 and Z4 CPO models (M models excluded) using standard BMW FS rates. The three offers listed here cannot be combined in any way. Only certain contract lengths are eligible. These offers are subject to credit approval. See your participating BMW center for details about minimum and maximum lease and financing terms, and vehicle availability. Protection Plan, backed by BMW, provides coverage for 2 years or 50,000 miles (whichever comes first) from the date of the expiration of the 4-year/50,000-mile BMW New Vehicle Limited Warranty. For more information, call 1-800-334-4BMW. ©2011 BMW of North America, LLC. The BMW name, model names and logo are registered trademarks.

As stated by cjcarrad, print everything, study and become familiar with it, then take it to the $tealership. From my experience, they are clueless about their offers. Even the national office.

As many have stated, CPO is the safest way to go on a vehicle as complex as these are. Anything else is a MAJOR risk. If the dealers passed up on it at auction, the vehicle is probably seen as risky in some potentially expensive fashion and/or unable to be certified.

Great advice on the fobs! I only took the one I use. I will take the secondary to the $tealership as well.
And yes, Grey is the color of the best surface combatants in the world...Fair winds and following seas.

I hope that his helps. :cheers:

·
Registered
132 Posts
MKSixer:

WhoDat?

hope we got some guidance to our Seattle protege --- and yeah forgot the orig warranty was 4 years

·
8,369 Posts
Quick input.

Mine is a 2006 Model Year.
I purchased it from a California BMW dealership in March 2008 with only 7,000 miles, in pristine condition and it is a Certified Pre Owned by the same dealership. I was patient enough and found the right car for me.

Mine being a CPO- I am protected for another 2 years or 100K miles.

Mine has been 100% reliable since day. Except for 1 limp home mode 3 months after I owned the beast.
Turns out my beast needed a software update. Since then, it has been 100% reliable.
But you can do a search here - some members are not as fortunate and had to spend good money on repairs once warranty runs out.

If you are not sure about the color / it is not your favorite, and you are willing to wait for a low mileage CPO with your preferred color - I think you will be more satisfied in the long run.

But hey, its your money, I'm sure when the right car comes along no matter what color or mileage you will jump on it.

Good luck to you!

If you want to meet up - anytime it is not raining on a Saturday, there is a car show in Redmond from 8:30 - 10:30AM
Lots of fine cars. I go there about once a month.
Hope to see you there one day.

[email protected] | Weekly Exotic Car Event In Redmond, WA

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
MKSixer:

WhoDat?

hope we got some guidance to our Seattle protege --- and yeah forgot the orig warranty was 4 years
I hope so as well! I wish that I had known about this board prior to purchasing my beast! Hopefull the Saints will have a better year!

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Quick input.

Mine is a 2006 Model Year.
I purchased it from a California BMW dealership in March 2008 with only 7,000 miles, in pristine condition and it is a Certified Pre Owned by the same dealership. I was patient enough and found the right car for me.

Mine being a CPO- I am protected for another 2 years or 100K miles.

Mine has been 100% reliable since day. Except for 1 limp home mode 3 months after I owned the beast.
Turns out my beast needed a software update. Since then, it has been 100% reliable.
But you can do a search here - some members are not as fortunate and had to spend good money on repairs once warranty runs out.

If you are not sure about the color / it is not your favorite, and you are willing to wait for a low mileage CPO with your preferred color - I think you will be more satisfied in the long run.

But hey, its your money, I'm sure when the right car comes along no matter what color or mileage you will jump on it.

Good luck to you!

If you want to meet up - anytime it is not raining on a Saturday, there is a car show in Redmond from 8:30 - 10:30AM
Lots of fine cars. I go there about once a month.
Hope to see you there one day.

[email protected] | Weekly Exotic Car Event In Redmond, WA
Hey dan and everybody, just made the deal with dealer and took the beast home. It is fantastic. The dealer install me four new michillen tires and when I check the maintain records, everything is full and next service will be 6000 miles after. So I argued down a little bit price and took home. Will update pics later, have final exams this week.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts