BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Future Chicago meeting thoughts

Hi all,

Just thought I would post an idea about future meets for the Chicagoland area.

Proposed dates:
May 17. 2008
July 12, 2008
September 13, 2008

1.) This would give folks enough time to know when the major meets happen and give an opportunity to plan ahead as best as possible.
2.) Based on posts from previous meets Saturday is hard for some folks, but the thinking is the proposed dates would give enough time to hopefully break free from any known conflicts.
3.) There was interest in trying to get a group track day. I think that this schedule is spread out enough to allow for the group track days to occur in between. Or this could be one of the track days.
4.) I think these dates are far enough from holidays that most folks will be around.
5.) Any thoughts on more frequent meets than the schedule above?

Rain dates:
The easiest rain date, might be the Sunday following the Saturday of the proposed dates above. The following Saturday is also a possibility.

NOTE: We were looking at Bob Chins for our first meet of the year. Bob Chins should be our next meet location. Maybe I am still thinking about a Mai Tai. cherrsagai

Location choices:
1.) Bob Chins – This was proposed for our first meet of 2008. Still looks like a good choice. There is a very big parking lot. Saturday lunches don’t look too busy at all. Located on Milwaukee avenue (Route 21).
2.) RAM brewery – Looking at historical meetings, this is the popular choice. There is a large parking lot. Located right off of I-90 near Woodfield Mall.
3.) Volo Museum – This was an interesting place that we met last year. There is a large parking lot. There are even some specialized areas where some nice group shots could be taken. Located up North off of Route 12.
4.) Glenview Mall – Nice large place with multiple levels in case the weather gets bad. It is adjacent to a shopping mall. Locate in Glenview IL.
5.) Other – Any other places or ideas that could cater to a large group of cars? Just thinking that a variety of places might be good to not wear out the welcome at one location, if that makes sense.
- Looking at a few other forums, Dave and Buster seems like a
possibility. Anyone familiar with this location?
- Any locations in Indiana? How about the Indiana Dunes?
- Any locations just inside Michigan?
- Any locations South or West of Chicago?
- Any other locations?

Food:
A couple things in consideration here are ensuring that there is a variety of food for all palette types. It would also be nice to consider that a few families with children present.

1.) Bob Chins – This was proposed for our first meet of 2008. They can handle large groups. There are plenty of menu items available not related to seafood.
2.) RAM brewery – Looking at historical meetings, this is the popular choice. There are plenty of food choices. Looks like they can handle large groups.
3.) Volo Museum – This was an interesting place that we met last year. They cater to large groups if given advanced notice with an onsite cafeteria.
4.) Glenview Mall – Nice large place. Advanced notice would be good so that they could situate a large group together. Good variety of food. It is adjacent to a shopping mall for other activities.
5.) Other – Any other places or ideas that could cater to large groups?

Proposed times:
12 p.m. seems a bit better than 11 a.m. just to allow folks who have to travel a bit to arrive. However, if anyone wants to meet earlier at the chosen location, that shouldn’t be an issue.

Cruises: :M5launch:
Personally, I haven’t had the opportunity to participate in a nice meet cruise yet. During the Volo meet, the cruise from Volo to Buffalo Wild Wings was very cool. There was a lot of rubber necking going on with folks counting how many cars were in line.

Does anyone know if there is a nice drive along Fox River?
Any nice drives in Chicago that won’t succumb to traffic issues?

Open for discussion.

·
Registered
6,963 Posts
Cruises: :M5launch:
Personally, I haven’t had the opportunity to participate in a nice meet cruise yet.
:confused: You didn't find the midnight cruise to Grand Rapids nice???? ;)

Thanks Kenny! These dates look good. Think there would be enough critical mass for a monthly gathering?

Dave

Reactions: LSM

·
Registered
375 Posts
Great Kenny, thanks!

I think we could open it up to a few more boards as well to attract a larger crowd if necessary. It doesn't have to be a strictly M5 thing.

A drive through Kettle Moraine South in WI would be awesome (http://www.dnr.state.wi.us/ORG/land/parks/specific/kms/). I do that a few times a year anyway. Quite scenic, a few twisties, some long straights, etc.

Talk to you soon.

E

·
Registered
195 Posts
Great ideas Kenny

I would definitely be most interested in a track day of some sort...although I'm not too familiar with how they work...

Another good idea might be - all get together...then cruise out to Byron or Great lakes for a little drag racing....The meets are definitely great....but I'm with you - I really look forward to cruisin with some other M cars....and comparing which mods do what on the highway :)...

As fas as chicago goes....can't think of any good place that traffic won't absolutely kill......would have to be pretty late at night...for decent cruising.

Jeff

·
Registered
15 Posts
If anybody is interested in tracking their car, I'm going out to Gingerman Raceway in South Haven MI with CGI Motorsports on may 12. They are very reasonably priced and provide instruction and plenty of track time (7 20min sessions). Unfortunately all of their track days are on mondays but well worth it. I would say that more than half of the cars that show up are stock or lightly modified. It's not too late to register for the may 12 session. Check them out at cgimotorsports.com.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
:confused: You didn't find the midnight cruise to Grand Rapids nice???? ;)

Thanks Kenny! These dates look good. Think there would be enough critical mass for a monthly gathering?

Dave
Dave,

ouichOoooff!!!! How could I have forgotten about that trip. Must have been a mental blocking thing going on. :hihi:

Well, regarding a monthly meet schedule, I thought that there might be some interest for other activities besides meets so I left it open. We can certainly try to meet every month. Guess I didn't want it to get old.

Actually, I see another thread in the Midwest forum where the E34 Ms are sorting out a get together on June 14 (falls right in between this schedule).

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If anybody is interested in tracking their car, I'm going out to Gingerman Raceway in South Haven MI with CGI Motorsports on may 12. They are very reasonably priced and provide instruction and plenty of track time (7 20min sessions). Unfortunately all of their track days are on mondays but well worth it. I would say that more than half of the cars that show up are stock or lightly modified. It's not too late to register for the may 12 session. Check them out at cgimotorsports.com.
Hi MAKM5. Thanks for the heads up! :M5thumbs:

Unfortunately I can't make it on a Monday. I have been to Gingerman before and it is a pretty good track. My view is a bit biased as this is the only track I have been on though. :hihihi:

·
Registered
187 Posts
Well,

I found out that the Euroteknik guys are planning an outing on May 18. Here is the thread. Sounds like it would be fun.

:M5launch:

http://www.byrondragway.com/Gallery.html

**Sarcasm Begins**
This seems like the perfect place to bring a large number of finely crafted german cars. My 997 won't do a "Wheel Stand" **Sarcasm Ends**

In all seriousness I went to an event here once, it was awful. I had my old S2 M5 and it went quickest in our group. The locals were borderline on hostile towards us, the PA anouncer gave us serious amounts of s**t everytime we ran.

Just my 2 cents

·
Registered
195 Posts
REally? I've only been there once or twice...never had any problems...

I only suggested it because have the fun is cruising out there....plenty of open highway....

I'm always open to anything else....

·
Registered
187 Posts
REally? I've only been there once or twice...never had any problems...

I only suggested it because have the fun is cruising out there....plenty of open highway....

I'm always open to anything else....
Open highway would be fun! the drive through Kettle Moraine is pretty good. and proabable just as far as Byron.

One bad experince I had, it might be a good place normally.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Hi All,

Now I can take the family and meet other M5 as the same time. Life is great when you can share your passion with the one you love (wife and 3 girls)!!!!:biggrinbounce:

Kevin

·
Registered
6,963 Posts
So where we at with the May 17th gig... Only two and a half weeks away!!

Dave

·
Registered
148 Posts
http://www.byrondragway.com/Gallery.html

**Sarcasm Begins**
This seems like the perfect place to bring a large number of finely crafted german cars. My 997 won't do a "Wheel Stand" **Sarcasm Ends**

In all seriousness I went to an event here once, it was awful. I had my old S2 M5 and it went quickest in our group. The locals were borderline on hostile towards us, the PA anouncer gave us serious amounts of s**t everytime we ran.

Just my 2 cents
Sorry to hear. We did a similar event back in sept. It worked out very well for us. I coordinated everything through BJ, the track owner. He gave us our own staging lane. I am working on the same set-up again.

Everyone was super friendly when we were there in sept.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Sorry to hear. We did a similar event back in sept. It worked out very well for us. I coordinated everything through BJ, the track owner. He gave us our own staging lane. I am working on the same set-up again.

Everyone was super friendly when we were there in sept.
I'd give it another try

·
Registered
148 Posts
If anyone is planning on attending on sunday.

Meet at Starbucks on Randall Rd:
North on Randall Rd off of I-90
Meet time: 8am and leave at 8:15. It would take about an hour to get there, so we would be there at 9:15/9:30

Caravan rules: Parking lights on. Stay in between the lead car and the last car (me)

I-90 West - Last toll by Chrysler Plant in Belvidere -
Exit onto Hwy. 20 Freeport - 4th exit is Hwy. 2 Dixon - 11 miles to
Byron - First stop light turn left - Cross bridge - End of bridge there
is a 4-way stop sign - Turn right - Go straight ahead 1 mile and
Byron Dragway is on your left hand side.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The next meet that is coming soon is the one setup by Kris for the E34 folks. This would be pretty interesting to see.

I also see quite an interest in going carting at Chicago Indoor Racing. That would be fun. The next meet date that was planned through this thread is July 12. We could make the July 12 meet at CIR. I think I saw about 4 folks interested so far. If there is interest on this date, another thread could be started to start a count.

·
Registered
34 Posts
The next meet that is coming soon is the one setup by Kris for the E34 folks. This would be pretty interesting to see.

I also see quite an interest in going carting at Chicago Indoor Racing. That would be fun. The next meet date that was planned through this thread is July 12. We could make the July 12 meet at CIR. I think I saw about 4 folks interested so far. If there is interest on this date, another thread could be started to start a count.
i'm interested, but will be out of town that weekend...

1 - 20 of 40 Posts