BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering what people wish bmw offered for an option.

Mine would be turbo/super charger
integrated pc and tv in the nav screen.
g force meter, should be easy, they use g force meters for dsc don't they?

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
1.) Manual transmission.. should be easy, even a 7 speed.
2.) Full MP3 support, with CD text.
3.) Hard Disk storage system to store MP3s.
4.) USB/Firewire/etc connections to transfer music/video from memory stick or pc to in car storage.
5.) Better phone integration, with the ability to customize how calls are handled, down to individual phone numbers, based on caller-id information.
6.) Optional exhaust/brake/wheel/tire configurations.
7.) Individual program with more support in the US.
8.) Additional color options, both interior and exterior.

Did I mention a manual?

·
Registered
766 Posts
1. Remove the linkages between interior color choice and amount of leather and type of seat and perforated. Makes it harder/more expensive to get the car the way you want it.

2. Have a P200/valet/family member mode that you can lock.

3. Larger fuel capacity that doesn't screw up the balance

4. Ask me again when I've had the car for 6 months.

·
Registered
248 Posts
vndkshn said:
1.) Manual transmission.. should be easy, even a 7 speed.
2.) Full MP3 support, with CD text.
3.) Hard Disk storage system to store MP3s.
4.) USB/Firewire/etc connections to transfer music/video from memory stick or pc to in car storage.
5.) Better phone integration, with the ability to customize how calls are handled, down to individual phone numbers, based on caller-id information.
6.) Optional exhaust/brake/wheel/tire configurations.
7.) Individual program with more support in the US.
8.) Additional color options, both interior and exterior.

Did I mention a manual?
My BMW dealer tells me that the manual will be 7 speed.
How about:
1) a setting for a softer ride (like for NYC roads)
2) NO P400/P500 mode... Just 507HP mode (or 400hp, 450hp, I don't care)
3) Push button start with comfort access (no need for keys, just a card in the wallet)
4) spare do-nut/tire in the trunk
5) Better fuel economy

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Jessem said:
1. Remove the linkages between interior color choice and amount of leather and type of seat and perforated. Makes it harder/more expensive to get the car the way you want it.

2. Have a P200/valet/family member mode that you can lock.

3. Larger fuel capacity that doesn't screw up the balance

4. Ask me again when I've had the car for 6 months.
P200/valet is a good idea, the lock could just be the key, the valet key locks it down to 200. Should also add in that it can only have the slowest shift program on the smg, and also lock dsc on. To give the owner full flexbility it should just be a menu in the nav screen. With the details of each key programmed for the car.
:crying:

·
Registered
162 Posts
Better Brakes
Trunk release button
New surround for Gear Stick/EDC/Shift pattern/Power Button Area in a nice material ie not that awful silver plastic crap.
Battery/Volt Meter (Like 911)
Idrive controller that can be pushed into a recess so you don'y have to look at the **** plastic thing.
Somewhere inside cabin to hold sunglasses - Range Rover has a little fold out container in the Headliner above the rear view mirror -
Cup Holders that adjust

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
some nice lists, some of which are not a very big deal, I wonder what the odds are that a rep from bmw will see this thread.

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
M5_2010 said:
My BMW dealer tells me that the manual will be 7 speed.
How about:
1) a setting for a softer ride (like for NYC roads)
2) NO P400/P500 mode... Just 507HP mode (or 400hp, 450hp, I don't care)
3) Push button start with comfort access (no need for keys, just a card in the wallet)
4) spare do-nut/tire in the trunk
5) Better fuel economy
Funny, my B5 has:

1) smoother ride
2) 530bhp at all times
3) Comfort access
4) space-saver spare
5) 30-40% better fuel economy than the M5

If it only had a manual 'box, sounds like that's what you'd need...

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
hythe said:
Funny, my B5 has:

I cannot imagine it at 30-40%, there are a few problems with comparing, first, what numbers are you comparing to get 30-40%?

2nd, if you are comparing observed numbers from your B5 to EPA M5 numbers or something, the EPA will almost always be lower.

The SMG tranny from what numbers I have seen is quite efficient. 11-12% loss. I could be wrong, but I always though automatics were less efficient than manuals, autos were around 15-20% loss from my recolection. Maybe in your automatic 5th and 6th are over driven?

As far as other observed mpg numbers by epa, car and driver, and other mags. I am somewhat suspicious, that they are not driving the BMW correctly to acheive maximum mpg. They might accelerate to quickly and waste gas in the bmw when they do their road tests, or not quickly enough. Especially enthusiast magazines, which tend to really drive the cars in their tests.

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
techiehost said:
I cannot imagine it at 30-40%, there are a few problems with comparing, first, what numbers are you comparing to get 30-40%?

2nd, if you are comparing observed numbers from your B5 to EPA M5 numbers or something, the EPA will almost always be lower.

The SMG tranny from what numbers I have seen is quite efficient. 11-12% loss. I could be wrong, but I always though automatics were less efficient than manuals, autos were around 15-20% loss from my recolection. Maybe in your automatic 5th and 6th are over driven?

As far as other observed mpg numbers by epa, car and driver, and other mags. I am somewhat suspicious, that they are not driving the BMW correctly to acheive maximum mpg. They might accelerate to quickly and waste gas in the bmw when they do their road tests, or not quickly enough. Especially enthusiast magazines, which tend to really drive the cars in their tests.
Well, I haven't picked up my car yet (mid-October can't come soon enough) but I hear reliable reports that the B5 gets mid-20s mpg when cruising, rather than the high teens to 20 mpg of the M5. The huge torque and less high-revving nature of the engine are the key here, as well as the unusually efficient supercharger.

Official EU figures for the M5 are (in litres/100km):

Urban - 22.7
Extra-Urban - 10.2
Combined - 14.8

Equivalent figures for the B5 are:

Urban - 18.6
Extra-Urban - 8.7
Combined - 12.3

So maybe it's not quite 30%, but for a combination of fast open road driving and urban work, I'd expect the B5 to be at least 20% more efficient. As for driving the M5 in a manner which gets optimum gas mileage - if that's what you're really going to do, why on earth did you waste your money on an M5???

For comparison, the figures for the new 550i are:

Urban - 16.4
Extra-Urban - 8.0
Combined - 11.1

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
hythe said:
As for driving the M5 in a manner which gets optimum gas mileage - if that's what you're really going to do, why on earth did you waste your money on an M5???
I am just saying, an outrageous example would be the EPA constantly flooring the car during the test because it is so enjoyable to do so. And then when they drive say a honda insight, they would not get much enjoyment by flooring it, do those things even hit 60? 0-60 in about two and half days. Anyways, thats my point. Not everyone drives wrecklessly 24/7 while in a BMW like I do. Some might just floor it a few times a month, and then drive conservatively the rest of the time.

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
My guess is most of the people who are receiving the first few batches of M5s are likely to be the kind of folks who'll get atrocious fuel economy, thanks to their spirited driving styles...

Don't know about the EPA, but I believe the EU stats are done on a rolling road, using a standard cycle for all cars.

Given my high-speed cruising habits, I'm actually hoping that the B5 isn't TOO much worse than the current 26mpg average I'm getting in my 530i. Low 20s is my bet...

Anyway, this thread wasn't meant to be about gas mileage, even though I guess everyone's now worried about gas prices/availability in the US!

My main wish is the factory availability of a rear seat DVD solution for the E61 - the planned Individual option was cancelled and if you have the sunroof (standard on the UK-spec B5) you can't fit the roof mounted unit.

Next on the wish-list for the B5 would be an M-differential or something similar.

If I had an M5, I'd be wanting more torque, a bigger fuel tank and better fuel economy. iPod link too, of course - if they can manage it on a 1-series, why not on the M5? User-defineable HUD setup would be very cool, and could include optional display of some of the non-standard gauges, too. And of course, last but by no means least, some decent brakes - that goes for the Alpina, too.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
just curious how many would like the option of seeing the g-forces on hud or in the dash. Considering they already have g force meters that input realtime date into the dsc system, it would not be to much to include. They are extremly accurate to, you would be able to measure 0-60 0-100, and other times, 1/4 mile. and even horsepower to the wheels. Also braking 100-0, etc, and handling, lateral gs. I would think anyone with an M would want to know how the car is performing, especially those that like to do little tweaks or big mods, ranging from nice tires for handling, or supercharging. This system would be able to show the difference. They sell such units individually that mount on like a radar detector.

·
Registered
680 Posts
m5-black said:
Idrive controller that can be pushed into a recess so you don'y have to look at the **** plastic thing.
You just have to buy the RR phantom to get that! It comes out from the centre armrest I think. See, problem solved!! :D :D

·
Registered
248 Posts
hythe said:
Funny, my B5 has:

1) smoother ride
2) 530bhp at all times
3) Comfort access
4) space-saver spare

Nice..... you make a good point. The B5 is good idea. It is very different than the M5 due to engineering....no?

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
M5_2010 said:
Nice..... you make a good point. The B5 is good idea. It is very different than the M5 due to engineering....no?
In simple terms, it's a 545i with a supercharger - in reality, it's a complete re-engineering job, of course.

A very clever supercharger it is, too...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts