BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm so angry at the dealer today. I get a call to clear an issue with the grad tint, you can't have it with HUD, so why the option ever existed I'll never know.

Then during the conversation he says yes you're No 2 in the list, YOU WHAT, I put my deposit down 3 years ago and have the switch receipt to prove the date and they tell me that they have put my car as number 2 in their allocation. There were no orders before mine and never has anyone said anything other than you're No 1 position and they screw it up during the ordering.

Currently the car is at position 1100 or something with an expected delivery of September. With the dealer car expected April still, I should of been looking somewhere between those dates for delivery.

Does anyone think I would have any legal standing, as I was timing my changes to reduce the hit on me through loss on the M3 cab I'll partex, to help recoup the additional loss to me? I have physical proof of the order and deposit date?

Well sorry to vent but I think you can all guess how miffed I am. I know if this issue is not resolved I'll never spend a penny at that dealership again even if it means traveling to get my car serviced, and so much for the close to 200000UKP I'd spent there over the last 3 years.

Sacha :crying:

·
Registered
49,477 Posts
Have a no 1 guaranteed in written. If I were you I would just buy a German M5 a month after release, but with LHD.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Gustav said:
Have a no 1 guaranteed in written. If I were you I would just buy a German M5 a month after release, but with LHD.
Thats a good option, will also give me more reason to drive in Europe.

·
Registered
13,638 Posts
I suspect the dealer has reserved car no.1 for a close friend/relative or is going to try and flog it for a big premium - either way there's not a lot you can do realistically. I'd try and pin them down and get them to confirm your current status in writing.

It's annoying but September is not THAT far off ??????

The last thing you want to do is annoy them and end up losing your slot.

·
Registered
49,477 Posts
My preception is that German dealers are pros (some of them). For example Kelleners Sport can have it delimited at the same time ;)

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ashok Arora said:
I suspect the dealer has reserved car no.1 for a close friend/relative or is going to try and flog it for a big premium - either way there's not a lot you can do realistically. I'd try and pin them down and get them to confirm your current status in writing.

It's annoying but September is not THAT far off ??????

The last thing you want to do is annoy them and end up losing your slot.
Very true, I''m going to see them face to face tomorow and we'll see what teh y say. I have the official BMW order form with the date and everythin on so we will see what happens tomorrow.

The point about the partex is I timed it to sell a cab before summer not at the end. So September might not be far away but its the wrong end of summer and will cost me when I partex.

Forgot to say they were told their allocation for the year is 4, so it looks like the figures are going the way we guessed from the expected 450 a year.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
I think you will find that the demos will be May, the No 1 customer on the list is likely to get it early August. The 3rd batch will not be available until November and that will be the total for 2005!!.

·
Moderator Emeritus
10,698 Posts
Maybe you can appeal to them on a fairness basis, since you arranged your affairs in reliance on their promise and if they cannot get you that #1 spot, maybe they can get you into some kind of loaner car for a few weeks or even months- or some other kind of arrangement. I suggest you sit down and really talk with them and try to get them to work with you. Btw- Im not saying you havent tried already.

I don't know English law so I don't know from a legal standpoint. But, to state the obvious: what's fair is fair. IMHO something like this is best resolved between the parties and not with lawyers.

·
Registered
180 Posts
HomerUK,

I had a very similar experience to you early this month. My dealer emailed me to say they have now received their allocation of 10 for the year and I wasn't even on that top ten list. I said WHAT. Although I did not have an official letter saying I was number x I had a verbal conversation confirming my deal when I brought my M3 Conv from them back in Feb 04. Before I went to confront my dealer in person I spoke to my brother in law who's a litigation solicitor and he confirmed a verbal agreement is a legal binding agreement.

So during my xmas vacation I went armed with my brother in law (I didn't tell them he was my brother) and they went out of their way to apologize and re-confirm that I will be the first customer to take delivery.

I also had a M3 Convertible as part of the equation, however I sold it only last weekend and my substitute before the M5 has just arrived in the country and waiting a few modifications.

In your case you have a piece of paper. If I were you I would confront them and threaten them with legal action.

My two pence on this type of scenario is that dealers are very aware that allocations are low, demand is high and that "some" customers are twisting the hands of some un-professional sales executives to steal legitimate customer orders. I didn't stand for it and neither should you.

Regards.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Need to have it written down on the contract. I got the dealer to write downmy position number. Try talking to his superior. I also think lawyers are a mess in this type of dealings, which in the end, you will still get the car as no.2.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Thanks everyone for the feed back.

I will let you know what happens after I see them face to face tomorrow.

I thought I had a good relationship with the dealership and have had nothing but great service from them in the past. I think this is also why I felt it as such a personal slap in face., if they were faceless people I had not dealt with it might not of been such a shock.

John H
I will try and confirm the dates for UK deliveries whilst I'm there. But he did say that on the system my allocation, second customer so their 3rd M5, is showing an expected delivery of September.

MEnthusiast
I hope they will view my custom as valuable and we can work somethign out. I guess covering some of the additional depreciation would give me a convertable for sumer and be a half way ground.

Ghufran
Thanks for sharing that and I might be looking for the services of your brother
in law if things turn out bad. But fingers crossed it will be resolved without issue.

M6 Forever
I got the order printed out, it was for an E39 M5 as they didn't even know that the new 5 was the E60 back when I ordered it. In the notes on the order it details that this order is for the next gen M5, attached to this is the receipt for the switch payment for the deposit. So I can't get much more official than that.

Stealthm5
Glass half full:)
The cab for summer would be nice, but so would one of the first M5's.

Once again thanks for the comments. It was just one of those red flag and bull moments when I heard.

Sacha...

·
Moderator Emeritus
10,698 Posts
Sacha,
I think your opening comment in the post above is the exact right thing to tell the manager of the dealership. In the end, everything comes down to relationships. And I don't have a problem with your informing them that they are putting in the direction of legal action- is that what they want with a valued customer? No. Youre asking them for the chance to spend money and when you do you will be so happy that you ask your friends and family to spend money there- thats what they should want.

·
Registered
271 Posts
M6 Forever said:
Need to have it written down on the contract. I got the dealer to write downmy position number. Try talking to his superior. I also think lawyers are a mess in this type of dealings, which in the end, you will still get the car as no.2.
I think I might know part of the problem. When you order a car from a dealer. obviously you can into the dealer order system and if you ordered three years ago (as I did) you would expect - and be told - you are number one in the queue. However, factory production slots cannot be ordered until BMW AG open the official order system - this has only just happened for UK M5's. Until this point, your order is only as good as your dealer - it is not validated by the factory. So despite you having an official BMW order formfrom the dealer, this will not give you a guaranteed position in the production queue - this only happens when BMW AG open the factory order system for a particular car.

·
Registered
5,170 Posts
Which dealer Sacha?

Very annoying and good luck today,

all the best
adam

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well. After over two and a half years thinking and being told you are the number one slot, the slap in the face yesterday to hear that I'm number two, an expected 3 months later, left me thinking and feeling the worst. I'm glad to say today I feel loved by the dealership again.

It turns out that there was an oreder placed in April 02 and mine was June 02. Issues with salesmen leaving and new ones starting ment that when I placed my order the new staff thought and led me to belive I was number one, only when the actual orders were placed on the system and the dates from the paperwork confirmed was the first order highlighted.

So after a chat over coffee and the situation explained in depth, I'm happy that I was mistaken in thinking I had the first slot and it's not queue jumping or other back handed dealings. Everyone was their usual polite professional self and could unerstand why I was miffed and it wasn't just the extra 3 months delay. I also chatted with the used car team and they said that the M3 cab will not have an issue with the September change, it seems they sell more cabs after summer as people think they are getting a bargain.

So cangratulations to the gentleman who placed his order 2 months before me, see you at the launch party.

OK new info on the UK M5 delivery times, taken off the BMW AG system.
Dealer demo expected delivery April 05, first customer car expected delivery June 05. My car's build slot first week of August, expected delivery 13 September 05, had to check that it wasn't Friday the 13th.
Status 1100 is showing for the order, I've been told this is the last stage before production and is only usually applied 1-2 months before moving to status 1200 production started. So who knows it might be sooner:)

4 cars have been confirmed for the dealership this year, think the demo is included in that figure but will check next time I speak to someone. Colour samples on metal, the little ones usually on a display, now exist for all the M colours, IMO far better comaprison than the little ones in the booklet.

A previous thread brought up the subject of the options costing more on the M5 than standard 5's. There is a price hike on options, not sure if it effects car prices, due for week 9. Because the M5 wouldn't be sold untill after this rise the M5 info was created with the updated costs. So if you are ordering a highly specced normal 5, get the options confirmed now before the price change.

So once again thanks for all the support and comments :M5thumbs:
Sacha...

Adam
The dealership is Rydale in Cardiff.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts