BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I was driving a "bit" fast around town in a residential area and all of a sudden I look in my rear view and see a motorcycle officer with lights blazing! I pull over.

The officer asked me where I was going, did I know how fast I was going, was I in a hurry, etc. I told him I had to go to work. Etc, etc...<O:p</O:p

He takes my license & registration comes back and says "I'll give you a break. You were doing 70 in a 25 but I'll write on the ticket that you were doing 45 in a 35 so you can go to traffic school" At this point he can see I look a bit defeated so he proceeds to tell me to not let this ruin my day and that I have a "SHARP M5"<O:p</O:p

Take a look at the signature of the citation! I thought it was a coincidence but his name is NOT Sharp!<O:p</O:p

It's been about 3 weeks and there is not a record of the ticket with the city. I am crossing my fingers...<O:p</O:p
<O:p</O:p<O:p</O:p

Attachments

·
Moderator Emeritus
5,150 Posts
Isn't that a summons and not a ticket? :confused:

But the Sharp M5 is funny tho...

·
Registered
12,393 Posts
tfung said:
Isn't that a summons and not a ticket? .
Same deal in CA. Summons to appear, you 'appear' and go from there. Most times the 'appearance' is waived and you can deal with it via mail- up until you try to fight it in court.

Officer Sharp M5 has no badge number either....

·
Registered
160 Posts
That IS pretty wild. I notice that he mentioned that he paced you at 50...I wonder if that would mess up your traffic school option.

Last year I had a radiator hose go on my car and I was trying to get it into the neighborhood before the indicator went into the red. Well, I was the last person at the light and pushed it instead of waiting at the light and definitely overheating. A cop saw me and pulled me over. He wasn't listening to anything I had to say and I was hotter than my block. When I looked at the ticket later that day, this crude dude had written the wrong month on the ticket...June 25th when it was only May 25th!! How could I have received a ticket for an infraction on a date that hadn't happened yet? The City Attorney agreed and threw it out. :2:

Whew!

Good luck and let us know how it works out!

·
Registered
5,226 Posts
Have to love that sense of humor. Good thing your M5 was in good condition! Just another reason to keep them clean and waxed!

Mark

·
Registered
881 Posts
If there is no valid signature, and no officer's badge number on the ticket, I don't believe that the ticket will be held to be valid. Hopefully not, since 20 mph over the limit will normally invoke the dreaded 'reckless driving' clause.
Hopefully one of the lawyers on the site can give you further insight.
Bish

·
Registered
612 Posts
static said:
So I was driving a "bit" fast around town in a residential area...

He takes my license & registration comes back and says "I'll give you a break. You were doing 70 in a 25 but I'll write on the ticket that you were doing 45 in a 35 <O:p</O:p<O:p</O:p
Were you really doing 70 in a Residential area?!!! :eek: :eek: :eek:
You are more than lucky if that was the case (even if "only" doing 65!)

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Wow, you really are lucky. Really cool cop. He must be a bimmer fan.

I have a somewhat similar story: I had just bought my M3 and I heard a hail storm was coming, so I raced to a parking garage and I guess that I rolled through a stop sign right before I got to this parking garage. I went in and went all the way to the bottom even though there was plenty of space because there is no parking in the garage 2-5 AM and I was planning on leaving the car overnight. Anyways, I can only imagine the officer thought I was trying to evade him, but when I explained my story he and his partner continued to check out the car and compliment it. Got off with a warning.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Stickman said:
Were you really doing 70 in a Residential area?!!! :eek: :eek: :eek:
You are more than lucky if that was the case (even if "only" doing 65!)
I just came off a major street and it's a nice 40-50 degree turn into the residential area so I was doing about 60-70 at the moment. I also think he was pacing me on the larger street. Either way I got off lucky!!!

·
Registered
354 Posts
Must've been an LAPD instead of CHP, city cops are nicer whereas CHP officers are just out there to generate revenue. Officers in LA actually got things to do and crimes to solve. Lucky break, nice officer. Did you offer him a ride?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
kiwi M & M said:
Must've been an LAPD instead of CHP, city cops are nicer whereas CHP officers are just out there to generate revenue. Officers in LA actually got things to do and crimes to solve. Lucky break, nice officer. Did you offer him a ride?
Yeah, he was a Beverly Hills Cop. I happen to work right next door to their fueling station. He even said he was giving me break because we are "neighbors"

I should of asked him to race! He had one of those new BMW police bikes...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts