BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

My 2001 got a new oem clutch about 6K miles ago. Recently, I've noticed a funny feeling when depressing the clutch pedal slowly. It almost feels like it is getting very briefly stuck...it feels like there is a knotch in the spring or something. Has anyone else experienced this??? Is the clutch just breaking in??? I have not noticed any slipping...

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
bbfl said:
Hi everyone,

My 2001 got a new oem clutch about 6K miles ago. Recently, I've noticed a funny feeling when depressing the clutch pedal slowly. It almost feels like it is getting very briefly stuck...it feels like there is a knotch in the spring or something. Has anyone else experienced this??? Is the clutch just breaking in??? I have not noticed any slipping...

Thanks in advance!
Go to RSMillar's personal 540i site to find thorough explanations about wear, sticking & related pedal feel symptoms. Do searches.....

Same exact setup used on 540i.

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,977 Posts
Lscman said:
Go to RSMillar's personal 540i site to find thorough explanations about wear, sticking & related pedal feel symptoms. Do searches.....

Same exact setup used on 540i.
Do you have the link, please?

David

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,977 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Don't mean to beat a dead horse, but doesn't seem like this was ever fully answered. I had my clutch installed a while back and seem to suffer from the sticking feeling on the clutch pedal when it's cold and it seems to hang up about half way through it's travel. I can feel it on the up and down swing. Seems like the slave cylinder might be the culprit...any possibility it could just be air in the lines or something like that?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
I had a new clutch put in under warranty and it started doing something similar. As you let the clutch out when the car is cold its not consistant with the grabbing. Only happens about the first two engagements then its fine.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I found an old thread that mentioned some of the pressure plates were at fault and causing this. It was actually a TSB from BMW. But, since mine was just replaced I have a hard time believing this is still the case. Seems like this resurfaces from time to time, but no one has a concrete answer...or maybe they do??????

Derck

·
Registered
207 Posts
Had the same problem. BMW SF kept replacing the clutch under warranty (now on my 3rd clutch). The last time, they finally changed the clutch release lever too. Seems fine now, but then again, it's only been about 7 months with the new clutch. I'm crossing my fingers...
:(

·
Registered
7,549 Posts
This is a common problem with both the M5 and the 540i. I bought a new 2002 540i, and they replaced the clutch at 3k miles since it was creaking and popping in the middle of the travel as described above. I bought my M5 four years ago with 12k miles on it, and the original clutch never had the issue. I repalced the clutch on the M5 at 27k miles, and a few times since (now at 44k) it has "snapped" in the middle of the travel. The issue seems to come and go...I've not noticed it in a long time.

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
there is a shaft on the transmisson that the throw out bearing rides on i would change that. it seems that the throw out bearing likes to bind.

·
Registered
203 Posts
New note...

When the clutch pedal is doing its thing I can feel it in the shifter. It's like someone hits the shifter when the clutch pedal pops. However if it isn't acting up I don't feel any pop in the shifter when moving the clutch in and out...

Derck

·
Registered
203 Posts

This is a pic of the guide bushing pulled out of the linked webpage from above. Does the throw out bearing ride on this part? Seems if mine looks anything like this, it could definitely be the culprit...

·
Registered
203 Posts
Clean guide sleeve (7).
Caution!
Do not grease guide sleeve.
If guide sleeve is greased, the release lever can stick on the guide
sleeve.

This is a quote from the installation of this part. I think we may have a winner. Guess I might have to pull out the tranny and see if this was greased and see if it needs replacement or not. I'd be willing to bet most shops would grease this part when putting everything back together...

·
Registered
1,198 Posts

This is a pic of the guide bushing pulled out of the linked webpage from above. Does the throw out bearing ride on this part? Seems if mine looks anything like this, it could definitely be the culprit...
This is the type of thing I'm feeling. Like something that slides up and down that shaft is binding. I think we may have a winner. I'm going to send this post to my mechanic and ask him.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts