BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi guys,

Just wanted to share a video today from the machine shop. Not all the engines that spin bearings or pop piston ring lands leave the cylinder walls in a reusable condition. I've never been a fan of sleeving, so I lean towards boring and prepping the Alusil walls again properly.

Here's a video of the boring process. I won't get into much great detail as it's been a long road working out the process, but a neat video of an S85 block getting taken advantage of:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/d0Y5Q6sOg9nb6WHD2

Due to the intricacy of the boring process, it makes more sense to farm this out to my local machine shop, R&L Engines in Dover, NH. This is the same shop Turner Motorsports has sent a few blocks to in the past, but R&L has never been willing to do the Alusil prep in full. Boring is done just shy of the final diameter and then the block comes back to my shop for honing and Alusil prep.

Not to say there are inherent problems with sleeving, but I've never been a fan of it. There are challenges with thermal expansion / contraction and the process of installation is critical to ensure thermal conductivity so heat can be removed from the cylinder walls. From a heat transfer rate perspective, aluminum / Alusil has a significantly higher thermal conductivity, so my preference is to maintain it and prep the walls the same way it was done from the factory.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Jim,

Just speaking for myself it's comforting to know there is competency relatively close to my neck of the woods that can perform this process in the case it's desired or needed. Curious as to why R&L does not complete the whole process since thy are so close. Not withstanding, the final complete process is still in excellent hands. Thanks!

·
Registered
5,802 Posts
Nice Jim!

·
Registered
170 Posts
Hi guys,

Just wanted to share a video today from the machine shop. Not all the engines that spin bearings or pop piston ring lands leave the cylinder walls in a reusable condition. I've never been a fan of sleeving, so I lean towards boring and prepping the Alusil walls again properly.

Here's a video of the boring process. I won't get into much great detail as it's been a long road working out the process, but a neat video of an S85 block getting taken advantage of:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/d0Y5Q6sOg9nb6WHD2

Due to the intricacy of the boring process, it makes more sense to farm this out to my local machine shop, R&L Engines in Dover, NH. This is the same shop Turner Motorsports has sent a few blocks to in the past, but R&L has never been willing to do the Alusil prep in full. Boring is done just shy of the final diameter and then the block comes back to my shop for honing and Alusil prep.

Not to say there are inherent problems with sleeving, but I've never been a fan of it. There are challenges with thermal expansion / contraction and the process of installation is critical to ensure thermal conductivity so heat can be removed from the cylinder walls. From a heat transfer rate perspective, aluminum / Alusil has a significantly higher thermal conductivity, so my preference is to maintain it and prep the walls the same way it was done from the factory.
The links not working

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
651 Posts
Saw it on Instagram. Always liked watching machine shops work! Good work and good luck.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts