BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
559 Posts
You’re perfectly describing symptoms of CO poisoning, so it really doesn’t matter if you measure it or not.

BoV has absolutely nothing to do with CO. There are a NOx, CO and the other gases in the crankcase though. This isn’t the source of your issue.

AC recir doesn’t help, you have too high of a concentration of CO within the car and more can still come in, but now you’re limiting the amount of fresh air that can come in. That’s why I said it better to open the window.

If you want to measure these gases, you need a quality device that’s calibrated. I just did a quick search on fleabay. There are some used ones that are cheap and you can resell it later too. Draeger X-am 2000 O2 CO H2S LEL Calibrated Warranty | eBay

I remember the one we had was over 5k we had to sign them outbut that was like 15 yrs ago. Stick it by the tail pipe at idle, you’ll probably get a PPM in the xxx with no cats. Inside it should be like 5 max, I can’t recall the spec. It really should be zero inside. You can also measure all around the car to see the readings too.

·
Registered
164 Posts
My car is fbo including evolve long tubes no cats and RPI gts exhaust. Daily driver with this set up for over 6 years. If the windows are up and the air is recirculating or turned off there isn’t a fume issue. At a stop with windows down or sunroof popped up or something you smell it. The long tubes really woke the v10 up.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Thanks all

I've got a spare set of stock OEM headers with cats I will put back in if the shop can't find any other reason.

I'd plan to do a V band set up so that I van switch between OE cats or HFC.

Ideally I'd prefer to throw in some HFC to clean up the fumes I can smell on my clothes after fully decatting... but also the HFC would serve to keep my BHP 'up there'. Though the main concern is the carbon monoxide poisoning... why anybody else doesn't have this issue is beyond me and shows me that it is my car specific.

If I have to go back to stock cats I will as health is 1st and I'd understand if everyone decatting had this issue but it doesn't seem so.

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk

21 - 23 of 23 Posts