BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

141 - 160 of 214 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #141
Hi Ted my UK car has S620A Voice Control and S632A preparation for BMW handy Motorola. The mobile phone did work once but has long been disconnected. Guess I’ll need to disconnect the voice control and order a lead?
Cheers.
Neil.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Neil,

That's correct! You'll want to order the "SES Blue 26 pin to BlueBus" adapter (there are three distinct offerings, depending on your car and how it was optioned).

You could always de-pin the requisite signal wires from that connector and use my "free" solution, but that's tedious work and a lot of people understandably don't want to fiddle with their harness.

Thanks!
-Ted

·
Registered
138 Posts
Neil,

That's correct! You'll want to order the "SES Blue 26 pin to BlueBus" adapter (there are three distinct offerings, depending on your car and how it was optioned).

You could always de-pin the requisite signal wires from that connector and use my "free" solution, but that's tedious work and a lot of people understandably don't want to fiddle with their harness.

Thanks!
-Ted
Cheers Ted.
I’ll await your email to order.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
50 Posts
Hi Ted,

The only options I have under multimedia are S672, S609, S640 & S645. I also picked up the OE Mic in preparation. Am I missing anything else for OE telephone-mode integration or can I just purchase your harness for pnp installation? My car is an 03 thanks!

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #144
Hi Ted,

The only options I have under multimedia are S672, S609, S640 & S645. I also picked up the OE Mic in preparation. Am I missing anything else for OE telephone-mode integration or can I just purchase your harness for pnp installation? My car is an 03 thanks!
Can you PM me the last seven of your VIN, please?

·
Registered
18 Posts
  • I have added an option to force the DSP to use the digital input when in CD Change mode, which equates to higher fidelity audio for those of you that have the Top HiFi Amplifier (DSP). You MUST have the coaxial cable (available from GROM or DigiKey) to use this feature, otherwise you're going to end up listening to silence.
Hi Ted - here and in your email of 2/27 you mention using a coax cable for superior audio quality with DSP. If I have a CD changer but don't intend to ever use it, does it have a coax cable I can scavenge for use with the BlueBus, or should I still buy a new cable?

Thanks,
Paul

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #151
Put me down for an order too (pre-order is gone, I assume).

How do I order? lol (wait til mar 30, I assume)

Thx
Hi!

Make sure you fill out the form on www.Bluebus.dev and you'll get an email when I'm ready to take your order :)

Hi Ted - here and in your email of 2/27 you mention using a coax cable for superior audio quality with DSP. If I have a CD changer but don't intend to ever use it, does it have a coax cable I can scavenge for use with the BlueBus, or should I still buy a new cable?

Thanks,
Paul
Paul,

It MIGHT have the coaxial cable if you have a 2000 or 2001 MY car. If it does, then PLEASE make use of it! It's exactly the same cable as I linked.

Thanks!
-Ted

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
OK, so to follow that, I have dso with no coax attached to changer. From what I'm reading CD quality is the best I'll get in this configuration. Is that correct?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #154
OK, so to follow that, I have dso with no coax attached to changer. From what I'm reading CD quality is the best I'll get in this configuration. Is that correct?
Hi!

So, it's not quite as black and white as "CD Quality" vs more or less.

Since you have the Analog DSP (six pin CD Changer connector), you will not get as good quality as you would if you used the digital (S/PDIF) DSP to CD Changer connector. Both methods provide really good audio quality, but the digital interface is simply better because there is less analog to digital and digital to analog conversion happening along the way.

Think of it this way for the analog: You take a DVD and copy it to a VHS, only to copy the VHS to a DVD again. There's gonna be some inherent quality loss there. The digital coaxial connection is like using the original DVD.

I have a DSP on my bench and I can tell you there is a DEFINITE quality increase when I switch the input to digital mid-song.

I hope this helps clarify things a little.

-Ted

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
Perfect explanation. Didn't realize the digital -> analog -> digital -> analog pathway... Makes perfect perfect sense. Like generation loss. Need to find a cable then.
Ty so much

·
Registered
18 Posts
It MIGHT have the coaxial cable if you have a 2000 or 2001 MY car. If it does, then PLEASE make use of it! It's exactly the same cable as I linked.
Great, thanks. I'll check. I assume your documentation will include some info on "preferable" vs. "alternate" cabling schemes? Seems like there are some variations here!

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #157
Great, thanks. I'll check. I assume your documentation will include some info on "preferable" vs. "alternate" cabling schemes? Seems like there are some variations here!
Yeah, I can include some blurbs about this, but to be completely honest, cabling in these cars is largely a ****show. Thankfully, most cars are "consistent" in terms of available connectors and which harness are fitted, but when revisions were made to these harnesses, the cars on the factory line were inconsistently equipped.

For example, Ryan @ E39Source has a 02/2000 build M5 with DSP, the C43 (round pin radio) and a six pin analog audio input from the factory. This makes no sense as all other cars with DSP and a C43 that I have seen came with the coax connector!

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #158
Hey guys,

BlueBus units were supposed to ship overnight to me today, but instead I got this update from the Fab house:

Ted,

The PCB's have been through the Pick N Place line and QC. We had some LED orientation issues which are being fixed and the QA manager was not happy with the board edges. The boards are being reworked and sanded. The boards will ship 3/6. I am sorry for the additional delay however, quality is something we do take seriously and while I know you want these as soon as possible, the additional delay will ensure higher quality.

Regards,

Jerry
I asked for pictures of a production board to verify that everything was correctly oriented (it is). Here are the pictures I got back:

-Ted

·
Registered
382 Posts
Excellent video explanation. I now see I have to extend my power/iBus cable from the CD changer to be able to put the BlueBus on top of the MKIV because I have that last mentioned bracket.
Of course I can cut of the connector and insert a piece of wire. But does somebody know the item no for the male and female connector I can use to make my own extension cable ?
Or if possible Ted, are you able to provide me with these connectors or extension cable for a few bucks in plus ?

Nice case by the way (y)

141 - 160 of 214 Posts