BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

81 - 100 of 139 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks for taking the time to put this thing together. Just completed my pre-order. I hope it works with my aging HTC M8.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Amazing progress. Still very interested.
However still got a few questions:
  • Will there be a kind of box where we can mount the board or do we have to create one ourselves by 3d printing ?
  • Is it feasible to install automated mirror folding when locking/unlocking your car ? If yes, then I can get rid of my x-Style module. I only use that for blinker and folding.
  • Can you connect > 1 mobile phone and if so, who will be the first active ?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #83
Amazing progress. Still very interested.
However still got a few questions:
  • Will there be a kind of box where we can mount the board or do we have to create one ourselves by 3d printing ?
  • Is it feasible to install automated mirror folding when locking/unlocking your car ? If yes, then I can get rid of my x-Style module. I only use that for blinker and folding.
  • Can you connect > 1 mobile phone and if so, who will be the first active ?
Thanks!

1. Yes, it comes in this case: https://myhub.autodesk360.com/ue2d3aa5e/g/shares/SH919a0QTf3c32634dcfa78ff028b77e9db1
2. Yes, this feature is upcoming. I plan to "auto fold" when you hold the lock button down, and then when you unlock the or open the door, they will automatically fold back out.
3. You can pair up to five devices, but only one can be actively connected at once. The unit scans for nearby Bluetooth devices when you flip the key to position one. The first one in the paired devices list to respond is the one it connects to, but you can change which one it is conected to through the UI.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Just to confirm, I have a TV module for rear view camera, this won't interfere with the connectors? I'd love to replace my grom which works OK, but like the OEM mic integration.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #85
Just to confirm, I have a TV module for rear view camera, this won't interfere with the connectors? I'd love to replace my grom which works OK, but like the OEM mic integration.
No, it won't interfere with your camera. I believe you're using the blue 18 pin connector that goes to the factory TV module for that.

This will use the same inputs as the GROM, along with either the SES connector, the DB25 (pre-LCI) or the 54 pin (LCI)

Thanks!
-Ted

·
Registered
378 Posts
Just pre-ordered 😃
Now I have to wait a couple of weeks.

Did I understood it correctly in the video that pre-ordering is til today evening ?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #87
Marcel,

Thank you! Units will begin shipping in mid-January, so a bit more than a couple weeks :(

Yeah, Ryan botched the date, so I'm keeping it open until tomorrow Sunday at 0000 UTC. I'll submit them for manufacture on Sunday :)

Thanks!
-Ted

·
Registered
378 Posts
Of course (y)

·
Super Moderator
4,843 Posts
Hi Ted. Thanks for this thread.
Do we need to buy a mic or is the factory one (2003 build) sufficient?
I haven't seen mention of a particular part to buy for upgrading/adding a mic. (new forum lacks "search in thread"!)
Have you tested this on any Google Pixel's? I have the older Pixel 2.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
This is amazing! Thanks for putting in the work for the BMW community, can't wait to get mine!

I have one question and I apologize if it's been answered already: when making phone calls over bluetooth in the car, can I use my phones microphone to pick up my voice while using the car's speakers to hear the other person I'm talking to or do I need to install a microphone in my car? I've got a 2001 M5

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #93
So excited!!! Pre-Order complete. Thanks again for putting the time in to create this!
Thank you!

Hi Ted. Thanks for this thread.
Do we need to buy a mic or is the factory one (2003 build) sufficient?
I haven't seen mention of a particular part to buy for upgrading/adding a mic. (new forum lacks "search in thread"!)
Have you tested this on any Google Pixel's? I have the older Pixel 2.
The factory microphone will be sufficient. Build year is no issue :)

I recommend P/N 84318380338 for the microphone, which is likely what you in there anyways! Haha

Yes, this has been tested with a Pixel 2, and my personal phone is a Pixel 3 :)

This is amazing! Thanks for putting in the work for the BMW community, can't wait to get mine!

I have one question and I apologize if it's been answered already: when making phone calls over bluetooth in the car, can I use my phones microphone to pick up my voice while using the car's speakers to hear the other person I'm talking to or do I need to install a microphone in my car? I've got a 2001 M5
Thank you! Unfortunately, you can't use the phone microphone if you wish to output the call over your car speakers :(

You would need the vehicle microphone.

Thanks!
-Ted

·
Registered
114 Posts
Does this Bluetooth solution work for cars without the Nav and/or dsp?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Would it be possible to add a function in the future that defaults the NAV screen to off at startup? I don't use mine much during the day and prefer driving with it off at night.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #97
Would it be possible to add a function in the future that defaults the NAV screen to off at startup? I don't use mine much during the day and prefer driving with it off at night.
This might be possible! Let me poke around and get back to you.

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
One of my gripes with the GROM unit was the fact that I can not use NAV while BT is in use. The menu goes away before I can select the NAV on the screen. What I didnt see in the video is that you can use your BT then click thru to bring up the factory NAV screen. Im assuming it still works and can be in use while BT is operating? Im one of probably a few that still use the factory NAV vs the phone.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #99
One of my gripes with the GROM unit was the fact that I can not use NAV while BT is in use. The menu goes away before I can select the NAV on the screen. What I didnt see in the video is that you can use your BT then click thru to bring up the factory NAV screen. Im assuming it still works and can be in use while BT is operating? Im one of probably a few that still use the factory NAV vs the phone.
I can certainly post a video of it in action, but yeah, nav works seamlessly with the BlueBus. There are messages that the radio sends to the navigation unit to let it know that it's no longer going to display the radio overlay. GROM must not have accounted for these, so every time they write to the screen, the nav dutifully displays the text.

I use the OBC screen often while listening to music over BT.

Thanks!
-Ted

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
Awesome, thanks for the detailed response! Placed myself on the waiting/notification list.

81 - 100 of 139 Posts