BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

741 - 760 of 764 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Jeff.

I don’t remember it popping-up anytime I’ve plugged it into my MacBook.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
196 Posts
Gabe,
Trust me, this has me puzzled as I have watched the videos for doing the firmware upgrade. I have not removed the BlueBus since I first installed it. I have been doing this without turning the car on so that nothing has any power and when I connect the BlueBus to the laptop it lights up the green LED which is why I feel like it must be connected properly and the cable is making a good connection, but I am wondering if maybe it is just making a solid enough connection that it will power the BlueBus but not enough for the data pins to be connecting.

I am feeling like that relative that knows nothing about computers that calls me for help :(

I do also have a Surface Pro that I could try using to see if that does anything different. Any reason why that wouldn't work or anyone had luck using a newer Surface Pro?

One more question, when I plug the BlueBus into the laptop (Mac or Windows) should it act like any normal devices that you plug into the USB ports and give you some type of message that you have connected new hardware? I have not had that happen on any machine that I have connected yet....

Jeff
Hey Jeff,

Yep.. I also hate technology... interestingly enough.
Surface Pro seems to be a good choice as it most likely will have Windows 10 right? Install the FTDI VCP driver on the link I mentioned earlier and retry with that.
I'm not sure if plugging in BlueBus will show any messages when connected on Windows 10. Because I didn't get any messages on my laptop.

Try this.
1. Install FTDI driver and restart the device.
2. Open Device Manager on your Surface Pro.
3. While keeping your eyes on the device manager, connect your bluebus to your laptop.
4. If it connects correctly, you will see the device manager refresh. Else, you most likely won't see any changes.
At least this way, you will be able to see if the BlueBus is working correctly.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I see Green LED as long as it's connected to the 3 pin power. Regardless of connecting the mini usb or not.
If the car has ignition on, the BlueBus won't talk to the USB port I think, but only with the car.

Cheers,
Gabe

·
Registered
196 Posts
@jlusby Just tested a few things myself after deleting the FTDI driver.
The BlueBus could not be identified without the driver. But even after reinstalling the FTDI driver, unless you reboot your laptop, bluebus will remain unconnected.

I'm 95% positive that your bluebus will work with the steps I have written above

Cheers,
Gabe

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #744
@jlusby -- Were you able to get this going? You live about 45 minutes from me, so if you wanted to make the trip you could drop it in my mailbox and I can sort it out for you within 5 minutes.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I see Green LED as long as it's connected to the 3 pin power. Regardless of connecting the mini usb or not.
If the car has ignition on, the BlueBus won't talk to the USB port I think, but only with the car.
The BlueBus is capable of operating with / without the car connected. There's never an instance where plugging it into USB won't allow you to communicate with the unit.

However, things can get out of whack when you plug the unit into USB before turning the key in the ignition. If there's no bus activity for 60 seconds, the BlueBus tries to power down, which requires shutting down comms with the car. Since power is coming over USB, the unit can't shut off and you end up in limbo where the unit is trying to shut off but it can't, and thus can't talk to the car either.

Thanks!
-Ted

·
Registered
189 Posts
@jlusby -- Were you able to get this going? You live about 45 minutes from me, so if you wanted to make the trip you could drop it in my mailbox and I can sort it out for you within 5 minutes.

Thanks!
-Ted
Ted - unfortunately using the Surface Pro didn't make a difference and the "Ports" never show up in Device Manager even after loading the drivers and rebooting. I will shoot you a PM.

Jeff

·
Registered
472 Posts
Maybe a dumb question but is it possible to connect an iPod adapter to the BlueBus like you can with an Intravee?

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #747
Maybe a dumb question but is it possible to connect an iPod adapter to the BlueBus like you can with an Intravee?
It's not possible. But if that's what you want, the BlueBus doesn't do anything that the Intravee cannot in terms of extra features, so that would be the better choice.

-Ted

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Hey Ted. Is there a way to change the Bluebus' name as it appears on my phone? For instance, could I change it from "bluebus" to Bluebus M5?"

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #751
Hey Ted. Is there a way to change the Bluebus' name as it appears on my phone? For instance, could I change it from "bluebus" to Bluebus M5?"
Howdy!

Yes, follow this guide: tedsalmon/BlueBus

After that, you can use the bt name command to set the name. Please note that you are limited to ONE word. So you could do BlueBusM5 or BlueBus_M5. This will change in the future.

Thanks!
-Ted

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Hi Ted!

Been awhile since I checked in on this thread. By any chance, do you have the ability to display multiple readings on the bluebus home screen in addition to the coolant temp? I freaking LOVE LOVE LOVE that i can see my coolant temp digital readout all the time real time while driving and not have to look at the buffered gauge. Would LOVE to see the oil temp too at the same time if possible, perhaps running voltage as well. If they cannot be displayed together, is there any way to change what shows in that small display? Could I swap it from coolant temp to oil temp?

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Also - I am continuously blown away by the crystal clear sound quality of the bluebus when I stream amazon music. It's insane, zero feedback whatsoever, just crystal clear. I use the digi-key coax cable.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #754
Hi Ted!

Been awhile since I checked in on this thread. By any chance, do you have the ability to display multiple readings on the bluebus home screen in addition to the coolant temp? I freaking LOVE LOVE LOVE that i can see my coolant temp digital readout all the time real time while driving and not have to look at the buffered gauge. Would LOVE to see the oil temp too at the same time if possible, perhaps running voltage as well. If they cannot be displayed together, is there any way to change what shows in that small display? Could I swap it from coolant temp to oil temp?
Howdy!

Unfortunately, oil temperature is only available on non-M variants of the E39, the E38 and E53. This is because the oil temperature sensor was wired to the IKE (Cluster) on M cars so the temperature could be monitored by the gauge in real time. On the non-M variants, the CCM (Check control module, which is a part of the LCM (light control module)) has the oil temp sensor wired to it, so it's possible to pull the value from the LCM over the I-Bus. Unfortunately, the IKE does not respond to diagnostic requests over the I-Bus, only the D-Bus, which the IKE will not forward data for onto the I-Bus (unlike the K-Bus, which is bridged to the I-Bus).

Voltage can be read off the LCM. I'm curious as to why you'd want to monitor this in real time, though? I can definitely add it to the "About" menu, and even warn you if your battery voltage is consistently falling (indicating possible imminent failure).

Also - I am continuously blown away by the crystal clear sound quality of the bluebus when I stream amazon music. It's insane, zero feedback whatsoever, just crystal clear. I use the digi-key coax cable.
I wish I could take credit for this, but it's the beauty of having an all digital audio interface down to the DAC and Amplifiers that drive each speaker. I'm really glad I was able to figure out how to force the DSP to use the digital interface even on an "analog" CD Changer car.

Thanks!
-Ted

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
I guess I really wouldn't be too concerned about seeing realtime voltage always, this was a more prominent thing for me when I was trying to diagnose my bad alternator (which was just about brand new), and a pain to go into the hidden OBD menu each time I was driving to get the voltage to display.

Oil temp for the loss :(

·
Registered
8 Posts
How can you display the coolant temperature on a 16:9 with BM24 and MK4? The option is enabled in BlueBus, but unfortunately nothing is displayed.

Oil temperature would be great, but even the Intravee can not do that on normal E39s.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Hi Ted, I installed firmware 1.1.17 a couple of days ago and am having issues. In particular, the screen is locked on MENU with most items grayed out, completely unresponsive. Bluetooth audio and phone calls still work though. What's the best course of action?

Thanks!

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #760
How can you display the coolant temperature on a 16:9 with BM24 and MK4? The option is enabled in BlueBus, but unfortunately nothing is displayed.

Oil temperature would be great, but even the Intravee can not do that on normal E39s.
You need to code your Navi for "NG" radio support. In particular, WIDESCREEN_MONI needs to be set to wert 1. See more: Error with television, caller ID and coolant temp · Issue #53 · tedsalmon/BlueBus

Hi Ted, I installed firmware 1.1.17 a couple of days ago and am having issues. In particular, the screen is locked on MENU with most items grayed out, completely unresponsive. Bluetooth audio and phone calls still work though. What's the best course of action?

Thanks!
This is likely unrelated to update. You should pull Fuse 56 to reset the Navi. Sometimes the Navigation Computer can't keep up with the BlueBus screen write commands and locks up. It's a rare issue.

Thanks!
-Ted

741 - 760 of 764 Posts