BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

721 - 740 of 764 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Neil,

I assume you play digital radio through your phone? The BlueBus does nothing to manage the phone volume, and it only manages the vehicle audio when a call comes in. Could you possibly verify the issue goes away with a different phone?

Gabe,

Did you try to copy and paste? version says you're on firmware 1.1.17, right?

As for the device name, you cannot use spaces. This is a bug, but I haven't fixed it because hardly anyone runs into it 😬

-Ted
Interesting results. lol.
Trial #1 was typed
Trial #2~4 was copy and pasted by right click on putty

I

Not sure what the reason is, but I have had similar experiences before with Sierra Wireless modems.
But I think it's working now.

As for the device name. Eh. It's fine really. I just wanted to see if the device name plays a role in the phone detecting the bluetooth device as a car and not just a headset. (I really like the remember my parking spot like feature. lol)

Cheers,
Gabe

·
Registered
189 Posts
Jeff,

For most units, cVc is on by default. This last batch (serials 1192 - 1485) is missing the cVc license, so enabling it would break all telephony features. I did get the licenses earlier this week and I've worked up a GUI tool to install it and enable cVc, but I'm still testing it.

Thanks!
-Ted
Ted,
I now have the digital cable connected and as others have said, it definitely provides better sound than just using the analog connection from my CD changer. Hardest part was just getting the DVD out of the way to install the cable :)

I also just received and installed my microphone and everything is working, except I am being told that I just sound quiet. Would the cVc license not being installed cause that? I haven't done the install of the license and turned it on just because I need to grab one of the kids laptops to do that, but wanted to see if there was something else that I should be doing first.

And one other thing I was going to ask about is the Comfort setting that causes the car to unlock in either key position 1 or key position 0, is not working for me. I did set the blinker to 5 and that works fine, so not sure if I am doing something wrong or not.

Can't say enough how happy am with the BlueBus. So funny that something so small is now my favorite mod to my M5!

Thanks again for such amazing work!

Jeff

·
Registered
196 Posts
Jeff,

For most units, cVc is on by default. This last batch (serials 1192 - 1485) is missing the cVc license, so enabling it would break all telephony features. I did get the licenses earlier this week and I've worked up a GUI tool to install it and enable cVc, but I'm still testing it.

For the technically savvy, you can follow this process: tedsalmon/BlueBus

The run version followed by enter. Note the serial number given.

If your serial number is 1261, 1340, 1354, 1362, 1368, 1371, 1378, 1400, 1424 or 1441 then use this command followed by enter:
Code:
bt license cvc 3A6B BC18 A9BF FC81 0000
Otherwise if your serial number is between 1192 and 1485, use this command followed by enter:

Code:
bt license cvc 3A6B 8168 9B8F FC81 0000
Then follow that up with these commands, each followed by enter:
Code:
bt cvc on
bt mgain c1
Thanks!
-Ted
@jlusby Did you turn on cVc functions on without entering the license? I think that might be why. He mentions how enabling cVc without license will break the telephone.

·
Registered
189 Posts
@jlusby Did you turn on cVc functions on without entering the license? I think that might be why. He mentions how enabling cVc without license will break the telephone.
No, I haven’t turned cVc functions on because of the license not being added. My question is do I need to add the license, turn on cVc in order to have my voice to sound more loud to the person on the other end.

I also have a external mic that I can temporarily connect to see if that helps or not. I assume I can just plug the external mic into the external mic connector and disconnect the factory one that I just installed.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #726
I’ll try that Ted and come back to you.

Is 1.17 out now?

Cheers.

Neil.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes and no, email me if you'd like the update. I will post it once I can compile the changelog.

No, I haven’t turned cVc functions on because of the license not being added. My question is do I need to add the license, turn on cVc in order to have my voice to sound more loud to the person on the other end.

I also have a external mic that I can temporarily connect to see if that helps or not. I assume I can just plug the external mic into the external mic connector and disconnect the factory one that I just installed.
Jeff,

If you have a "green back" microphone, then you'll experience the issue described until you enable cVc. You can try cranking up the microphone gain until cVc is enabled.

Your external microphone won't work without some configuration changes to the BlueBus. Well, it might work, but I think you'll find it's too quiet as well. You would need to issue these commands to allow the BlueBus to work with it:

Code:
bt mgain c8
bt mbias on
bt mpreamp on
Thanks!
-Ted

·
Registered
189 Posts
Jeff,

If you have a "green back" microphone, then you'll experience the issue described until you enable cVc. You can try cranking up the microphone gain until cVc is enabled.

Thanks!
-Ted
Ok, mine is the green back version so I will focus on adding the license and then enabling cVc.
Thanks

·
Registered
189 Posts
So, I have been trying to follow the directions Accessing the Terminal but both of my Windows laptops do not have any "COM" ports. The Windows 8 laptop doesn't have any LPT or COM ports so when going into Windows Device Manager, I don't even see anything for "Ports (COM &LPT)". I tried to manually add that, but it just came back and complained that those aren't really there so I get the yellow triangle showing beside them. The other laptop is Windows 7 and it just has LPT1 under the "Ports (COM & LPT)". At that point, I didn't try to add anything through Device Manager.

So, is there some other way to make this work or do I need to grab one of my kids Macbooks to do this?

And just to confirm I am plugging into the mini USB connector on the BlueBus and that is going to just plug into a USB port on the laptop, correct?

As always appreciate the help as I consider myself fairly computer literate, and wasn't expecting this to be difficult to just get use PuTTY to get to a terminal screen.

Thx - Jeff

·
Registered
196 Posts
So, I have been trying to follow the directions Accessing the Terminal but both of my Windows laptops do not have any "COM" ports. The Windows 8 laptop doesn't have any LPT or COM ports so when going into Windows Device Manager, I don't even see anything for "Ports (COM &LPT)". I tried to manually add that, but it just came back and complained that those aren't really there so I get the yellow triangle showing beside them. The other laptop is Windows 7 and it just has LPT1 under the "Ports (COM & LPT)". At that point, I didn't try to add anything through Device Manager.

So, is there some other way to make this work or do I need to grab one of my kids Macbooks to do this?

And just to confirm I am plugging into the mini USB connector on the BlueBus and that is going to just plug into a USB port on the laptop, correct?

As always appreciate the help as I consider myself fairly computer literate, and wasn't expecting this to be difficult to just get use PuTTY to get to a terminal screen.

Thx - Jeff
What I have noticed was that BlueBus won't connect with your laptop if the car is on. The connections seems to be fine and Windows should auto-install FTDI driver for BlueBus I believe.
Do you see any unrecognized devices at the top of the device manager? If you do, you most likely will have to install the FTDI driver.

Ahmad,

Can you try cracking the case open slightly? It's possible that even though the unit is powering on, the data lines are not fully making contact with the unit. Another possibility, if your computers run Windows, is that the driver isn't being immediately installed. You may need to open Device Manager (Win10: Right Click Start Button > Device Manager) and identify any "Unknown" Devices and have Windows update the driver.

Thanks!
-Ted

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #732

Thx - Jeff
As @kei2927 pointed out, you probably just need to download the driver. Windows 10 is pretty finicky about this lately, I don't know why. Windows 7 didn't sound like it had seen the BlueBus either.

Unfortunately, getting the device to show as a COM port is a prerequisite for any manner of communicating or updating the BlueBus.

Adding on to that, all you probably need is drivers downloaded from here. VCP Drivers - FTDI
Thanks! FWIW, As of Serial Number 1190, BlueBus units are being sent with different cases which have less of an issue with USB cable clearance. Someone who actually knows what they're doing (a customer who happens to be an ME) redesigned the case for me. At the same time, the mounting holes were enlarged to give greater flexibility in terms of mounting options.

Thanks!
-Ted

·
Registered
196 Posts
Oh I just wanted to add something about audio quality of BlueBus.
For those who are not completely satisfied with the audio quality of BlueBus, you might want to check your coax cable.
Although the OE coax worked, as in it produced sound, changing them over to digi-key coax definitely made great changes in audio quality.

Yet, keep in mind that I had a coax connection issue due to the original cable installed on my DSP was pinched and bent.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #734
Oh I just wanted to add something about audio quality of BlueBus.
For those who are not completely satisfied with the audio quality of BlueBus, you might want to check your coax cable.
Although the OE coax worked, as in it produced sound, changing them over to digi-key coax definitely made great changes in audio quality.

Yet, keep in mind that I had a coax connection issue due to the original cable installed on my DSP was pinched and bent.
That's quite interesting. I guess the bend in the cable could've created additional impedance which might have degraded the audio. I would have expected digital glitch noises rather than muffled audio, though :)

-Ted

·
Registered
189 Posts
As @kei2927 pointed out, you probably just need to download the driver. Windows 10 is pretty finicky about this lately, I don't know why. Windows 7 didn't sound like it had seen the BlueBus either.

Unfortunately, getting the device to show as a COM port is a prerequisite for any manner of communicating or updating the BlueBus.

Thanks!
-Ted
Thanks to both kei2927 and Ted for suggestions, but so far no luck on the older windows laptops. Luckily I have access to a MacBook as well and will give that a try. Not very "macliterate", but I just need a terminal window to do what I need :)

Thanks again and I will update after I am able to access the BlueBus and run those commands.
Jeff

·
Registered
196 Posts
That's quite interesting. I guess the bend in the cable could've created additional impedance which might have degraded the audio. I would have expected digital glitch noises rather than muffled audio, though :)

-Ted
Yep, definitely interesting outcome. I'm not so sure how coax really works, but if memory serves right, I believe similar could be said to those old TVs.
Replacing the antenna cable when buying a new old TV would remove jitters and stuff 🤔

·
Registered
189 Posts
Alright, so I have plugged my daughter's MacBook into the BlueBus using mini USB to regular USB that then plugs into the Mac adapter that has 3 ports on it, one being USB, but unfortunately even then I am not getting connected. I was able to copy and paste the "screen" command but then I get a message "Cannot exec '/dev/tty.usbserial*': No such file or directory. Unfortunately she had to take back her MacBook for school, so it will be a few days before I can try this again. Additionally, I did try a 2nd USB cable and it did the exact same thing.

It does seem that the cable is good because when I plug it into the BlueBus it powers it up as I get the green LED to come on.

Any other thoughts on what I am doing incorrectly?

Jeff

·
Registered
196 Posts
Hey Jeff,

Are you trying this with the BlueBus out of the car? I'm 95% positive that BlueBus has to be connected to the car.
Try checking out this video. It demonstrates firmware upgrade, but I'm guessing it might be able to clarify the connection process.

I can't really help with the Mac system. Hope Ted can with that.

Cheers,
Gabe

·
Registered
189 Posts
Hey Jeff,

Are you trying this with the BlueBus out of the car? I'm 95% positive that BlueBus has to be connected to the car.
Try checking out this video. It demonstrates firmware upgrade, but I'm guessing it might be able to clarify the connection process.

I can't really help with the Mac system. Hope Ted can with that.

Cheers,
Gabe
Gabe,
Trust me, this has me puzzled as I have watched the videos for doing the firmware upgrade. I have not removed the BlueBus since I first installed it. I have been doing this without turning the car on so that nothing has any power and when I connect the BlueBus to the laptop it lights up the green LED which is why I feel like it must be connected properly and the cable is making a good connection, but I am wondering if maybe it is just making a solid enough connection that it will power the BlueBus but not enough for the data pins to be connecting.

I am feeling like that relative that knows nothing about computers that calls me for help :(

I do also have a Surface Pro that I could try using to see if that does anything different. Any reason why that wouldn't work or anyone had luck using a newer Surface Pro?

One more question, when I plug the BlueBus into the laptop (Mac or Windows) should it act like any normal devices that you plug into the USB ports and give you some type of message that you have connected new hardware? I have not had that happen on any machine that I have connected yet....

Jeff

721 - 740 of 764 Posts