BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

701 - 720 of 764 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Finally found my car and got an order submitted. Thanks for all your hard work, Ted. These cars are truly the best of both worlds thanks to modern tech integrations like BlueBus.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Just received mine today and the installation was extremely straightforward. Unfortunately I did find that I don't have the microphone from the factory, so will need to get that. I know that the below part numbers are the ones that are listed as working, but is one a clearly better choice? I have a 2003 M5 and do not have the coax cable (yet) to improve the sound quality so I will be adding that as well. With that in mind, does that change anyone's recommendations?
Any of these part numbers: 84318380338, 84318380319 and 84316938762. :)
And one other question for the coax connection into the amp, is the red circled connector below what I need to run connect the coax cable to and then the other end into the BlueBus? I didn't remove the DVD for the navigation so it was hard to see the connectors for the amp, but if this is it, then I am good to go.

Really thrilled to finally have bluetooth after having the car for almost 13 years!

·
Registered
196 Posts
Isn't the coax cable for digital DSP of the older cars?
I thought the analog DSP on the newer cars provided better sound quality. 🤔

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #705
Finally found my car and got an order submitted. Thanks for all your hard work, Ted. These cars are truly the best of both worlds thanks to modern tech integrations like BlueBus.
Thank you for the support!

Just received mine today and the installation was extremely straightforward. Unfortunately I did find that I don't have the microphone from the factory, so will need to get that. I know that the below part numbers are the ones that are listed as working, but is one a clearly better choice? I have a 2003 M5 and do not have the coax cable (yet) to improve the sound quality so I will be adding that as well. With that in mind, does that change anyone's recommendations?

And one other question for the coax connection into the amp, is the red circled connector below what I need to run connect the coax cable to and then the other end into the BlueBus? I didn't remove the DVD for the navigation so it was hard to see the connectors for the amp, but if this is it, then I am good to go.

View attachment 948950

Really thrilled to finally have bluetooth after having the car for almost 13 years!
Yep, that's the coax input to the DSP! I recommend this cable: 415-0008-036 Cinch Connectivity Solutions Johnson | Cable Assemblies | DigiKey

Isn't the coax cable for digital DSP of the older cars?
I thought the analog DSP on the newer cars provided better sound quality. 🤔
In this case, analog is not nearly as good as digital. I highly recommend owners of E39s and E53s who got the analog audio input rather than the digital retrofit the coax cable for improved quality.

The simplest way to explain it is that there is loss in conversion -- you're taking digital audio from the BT stream and converting it to Analog for the DSP Amp, which then converts the analog signal back to digital so it can process it, then it runs it back through a DAC to convert it back to analog so the amplifiers can drive each speaker.

Think about printing a document, then scanning it back to an image, then printing it back out -- the end product will NEVER look as good as it originally did the first time you printed it.

-Ted

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #707
Just FYI everyone: I went to get ready to submit a batch for production and found many of the BlueBus components to be out of stock. While I was able to get alternates in place for the passives, there are several key components which are seemingly difficult to source right now. The biggest is the micro-controller, which cannot be swapped out (it's the core of the device, really):

I ignore non-authorized distributors because god knows what truck that fell off of.

Anyways, I have enough to make 380 units, but after that it looks like I'm SOL until late this year unless Digi-Key gets some stock before Mouser.

There appears to be a huge shortage of components throughout the electronics industry right now. I assume it's because of COVID/COVID Vaccinations, but a distributor told me it was also because there's a huge ramp up in new vehicle manufacturing. :(

-Ted

·
Registered
196 Posts
I haven't tried it yet..

But
BUY the BlueBus people 😂

p.s. just an idea. BlueBus 2 that replaces the Android head units? 🤪

·
Registered
189 Posts
Not once clear voice capture is enabled. I go for whatever is cheapest on Ebay :)

-Ted
Ted - does this mean that by default "clear voice capture" is not enabled? And if not, is that something that should I should enable regardless of which microphone I install?

I remember seeing the post somewhere in the 700+ on how to do that, just have to grab the laptop and do this if that is needed.

Thanks again for doing all of this, got to enjoy driving around listening to Spotify and Waze telling me where to go for the first time!
Jeff

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #713
Ted - does this mean that by default "clear voice capture" is not enabled? And if not, is that something that should I should enable regardless of which microphone I install?

I remember seeing the post somewhere in the 700+ on how to do that, just have to grab the laptop and do this if that is needed.

Thanks again for doing all of this, got to enjoy driving around listening to Spotify and Waze telling me where to go for the first time!
Jeff
Jeff,

For most units, cVc is on by default. This last batch (serials 1192 - 1485) is missing the cVc license, so enabling it would break all telephony features. I did get the licenses earlier this week and I've worked up a GUI tool to install it and enable cVc, but I'm still testing it.

For the technically savvy, you can follow this process: tedsalmon/BlueBus

The run version followed by enter. Note the serial number given.

If your serial number is 1261, 1340, 1354, 1362, 1368, 1371, 1378, 1400, 1424 or 1441 then use this command followed by enter:
Code:
bt license cvc 3A6B BC18 A9BF FC81 0000
Otherwise if your serial number is between 1192 and 1485, use this command followed by enter:

Code:
bt license cvc 3A6B 8168 9B8F FC81 0000
Then follow that up with these commands, each followed by enter:
Code:
bt cvc on
bt mgain c1
Thanks!
-Ted

·
Registered
196 Posts
Hey Ted,

----EDIT----
Problem solved. Another failed component after 21 years!
Ordered Coax from digi-keys. Until then, minor fix using braided tubing and electrical tape. Woohoo Works like a charm.
--------------

Just installed my BlueBus today. Everything works... without the sound.
Mines a 2000 M5, so I only have the digital DSP cable. Any reason why it wouldn't be producing a sound?
Version 1340, Firmware 1.1.17

Cheers,
Gabe

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #717
Hey Ted,

----EDIT----
Problem solved. Another failed component after 21 years!
Ordered Coax from digi-keys. Until then, minor fix using braided tubing and electrical tape. Woohoo Works like a charm.
--------------

Just installed my BlueBus today. Everything works... without the sound.
Mines a 2000 M5, so I only have the digital DSP cable. Any reason why it wouldn't be producing a sound?
Version 1340, Firmware 1.1.17

Cheers,
Gabe
Glad you got it sorted! The OE coax can be finicky sometimes :(. The digi-key coax is definitely the best way to go.
Hey Ted. I ordered a Bluebus in the February batch. Have they shipped yet?
What's your order number? Anyone who ordered before Christmas has already had their unit ship.

Thanks!
-Ted

·
Registered
220 Posts
Hi Ted.
Question, over the last couple of days I’ve been getting random volume changes when streaming through the phone, both from phone music content and Digital Radio.
Any thoughts please?
Thanks.
Neil.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
196 Posts
Jeff,

For most units, cVc is on by default. This last batch (serials 1192 - 1485) is missing the cVc license, so enabling it would break all telephony features. I did get the licenses earlier this week and I've worked up a GUI tool to install it and enable cVc, but I'm still testing it.

For the technically savvy, you can follow this process: tedsalmon/BlueBus

The run version followed by enter. Note the serial number given.

If your serial number is 1261, 1340, 1354, 1362, 1368, 1371, 1378, 1400, 1424 or 1441 then use this command followed by enter:
Code:
bt license cvc 3A6B BC18 A9BF FC81 0000
Otherwise if your serial number is between 1192 and 1485, use this command followed by enter:

Code:
bt license cvc 3A6B 8168 9B8F FC81 0000
Then follow that up with these commands, each followed by enter:
Code:
bt cvc on
bt mgain c1
Thanks!
-Ted
For some reason I couldn't get the bluebus to take the cvc license. The bt license cvc command doesn't seem to be recognized. (Maybe I should try without the spaces in between the license code?)
I also tried to set the device name to BMW 95680, yet I couldn't get the space to be inserted. Do you think \0 would work? 🤔

Cheers,
Gabe

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #720
Hi Ted.
Question, over the last couple of days I’ve been getting random volume changes when streaming through the phone, both from phone music content and Digital Radio.
Any thoughts please?
Thanks.
Neil.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Neil,

I assume you play digital radio through your phone? The BlueBus does nothing to manage the phone volume, and it only manages the vehicle audio when a call comes in. Could you possibly verify the issue goes away with a different phone?

For some reason I couldn't get the bluebus to take the cvc license. The bt license cvc command doesn't seem to be recognized. (Maybe I should try without the spaces in between the license code?)
I also tried to set the device name to BMW 95680, yet I couldn't get the space to be inserted. Do you think \0 would work? 🤔

Cheers,
Gabe
Gabe,

Did you try to copy and paste? version says you're on firmware 1.1.17, right?

As for the device name, you cannot use spaces. This is a bug, but I haven't fixed it because hardly anyone runs into it 😬

-Ted

701 - 720 of 764 Posts