BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

41 - 60 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
4,670 Posts
The cluster MID is not thst important to me. I was just curious.

It was years ago, but I think I used Carly for BMW in my X5. Oddly, in the X5, that function resides with the FRM. I do remember there's not a ton of options in that program for the M5, unfortunately.

I don't know if other programs would be able to modify the M5's LCM properly. I only know the Intravee allowed 3-blink.
Josiah,

Are you causing trouble again?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
The cluster MID is not thst important to me. I was just curious.

It was years ago, but I think I used Carly for BMW in my X5. Oddly, in the X5, that function resides with the FRM. I do remember there's not a ton of options in that program for the M5, unfortunately.

I don't know if other programs would be able to modify the M5's LCM properly. I only know the Intravee allowed 3-blink.
I assume the instrument cluster notifies the LCM when the turn signal stalk is toggled, even slightly. With that data, my unit could potentially continue to trigger the turn signal for x amount of blinks.

I will have to do some testing on my E46 and see what kind of messages are sent when the turn signals are activated.

-Ted

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
I assume the instrument cluster notifies the LCM when the turn signal stalk is toggled, even slightly. With that data, my unit could potentially continue to trigger the turn signal for x amount of blinks.

I will have to do some testing on my E46 and see what kind of messages are sent when the turn signals are activated.

-Ted
I'd guess the Intravee works on that principle.

I prefer five but I think most others would just like three so you should look to develop whatever you think is going to be most accepted or desired.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
I'd guess the Intravee works on that principle.

I prefer five but I think most others would just like three so you should look to develop whatever you think is going to be most accepted or desired.
There's no reason it can't be a configurable value :)

I'm big on configurable options, just not to the point of the Intravee where literally everything is configurable, making it hard to use.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Would this also work with the cd43 radio that I have in my e31?
The CD43 is IBus capable, but it doesn't support the UI mode where the telephone is allowed to write to the screen as far as I know. This means that you wouldn't be able to see metadata, or configure the device without a computer.

There's also the question of it being pre-wired for the CD Changer, which is not one I know the answer to :).

So, in short: "Yes, but it would be a crappy integration and likely require some extra work on your end to wire it up".

·
Registered
107 Posts
The CD43 is IBus capable, but it doesn't support the UI mode where the telephone is allowed to write to the screen as far as I know. This means that you wouldn't be able to see metadata, or configure the device without a computer.

There's also the question of it being pre-wired for the CD Changer, which is not one I know the answer to :).

So, in short: "Yes, but it would be a crappy integration and likely require some extra work on your end to wire it up".
Darn it.
I am looking for a plug in solution for the cd43 or the becker indianapolis i have

·
Registered
90 Posts

-Ted

The indicator stalk position isn’t monitored - it’s just a direct input into the LCM.
The Intravee, Modlight & Ibusapp all use the Bus signal for the bulb illumination from the LCM to IKE/KOM.
Same with the flash to pass option.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
The indicator stalk position isn’t monitored - it’s just a direct input into the LCM.
The Intravee, Modlight & Ibusapp all use the Bus signal for the bulb illumination from the LCM to IKE/KOM.
Same with the flash to pass option.
Thanks for the info! I wonder how they can tell a single illumination from many, then. Otherwise, the module is going to be sending the command to flash the turn signals at the same time they're already flashing (when fully depressing the stalk).

I'll have to test this in my car :)

·
Registered
90 Posts
Thanks for the info! I wonder how they can tell a single illumination from many, then. Otherwise, the module is going to be sending the command to flash the turn signals at the same time they're already flashing (when fully depressing the stalk).

I'll have to test this in my car :)

From the Intravee Forum:-

“RichardP

Posted February 9, 2014
There is a minimum time interval between 'sticky' indicators, it's about 2 seconds. So if you indicate and then indicate again quickly then second indication will only last as long as you hold the stalk. This is for a number of reasons, partially to allow cancelling of the sticky blink by indicating in the opposite direction.
The Intravee can't actually detect when you press the stalk, it can only monitor the bulb state so it needs to know that the indicators have gone off and are not still flashing.”

It may by worth looking at the ibus app - it’s written for Android and “coincidentally” has every single
Extra feature that the Intravee has.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
From the Intravee Forum:-

“RichardP

Posted February 9, 2014
There is a minimum time interval between 'sticky' indicators, it's about 2 seconds. So if you indicate and then indicate again quickly then second indication will only last as long as you hold the stalk. This is for a number of reasons, partially to allow cancelling of the sticky blink by indicating in the opposite direction.
The Intravee can't actually detect when you press the stalk, it can only monitor the bulb state so it needs to know that the indicators have gone off and are not still flashing.”

It may by worth looking at the ibus app - it’s written for Android and “coincidentally” has every single
Extra feature that the Intravee has.
Rosie,

Thank you so much, that's extremely helpful! I'll start implementing this functionality on the BlueBus :)

-Ted

·
Registered
98 Posts
This is brilliant! I wish this was available when I had my E53 - I really missed having BT music streaming and could not find a neat solution that also replaced the OEM BT phone function

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
Well, I like what I read here and in the website. Name added to the pre-order. Look forward to the unit.

·
Registered
137 Posts
This is great, added my name to the pre-order list. I would replace my Intravee/Factory BT setup for this. +1 on the triple blink integration, too.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
Well, I like what I read here and in the website. Name added to the pre-order. Look forward to the unit.
Thanks! I appreciate the support :)

This is great, added my name to the pre-order list. I would replace my Intravee/Factory BT setup for this. +1 on the triple blink integration, too.
Thanks! Funny thing, I just got a loaner Intravee in the mail today, so I get to play around with it and see how it ticks.

Something I haven't announced just yet: I'm going to have to make another PCB revision to iron out some audio bugs. At the same time, I'm looking to see exactly what I need to do in order to fully emulate the factory hands-free Bluetooth. This will mean an additional connector, but it will be worth it. I'm also going to integrate the "Microphone Adapter" to the main PCB, but I'll leave a second mic input for non-OE mics.

In the near future, I'll offer the microphone boards for those who won't have the BlueBus.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Thanks! I appreciate the support :)
Thanks! Funny thing, I just got a loaner Intravee in the mail today, so I get to play around with it and see how it ticks.
Cool, I think you'll enjoy tinkering with it. In addition to iPod control, it has a bunch of great features (as I'm sure you've heard), such as letting you customize the commands sent to the Intravee by all the head unit and steering wheel buttons, and a bunch of extra features like the multi-blink, remote power mirror fold/unfold, data readouts, and more that are described here.

The issue with he Intravee is that it uses a dated iPod control protocol which is too rigid for iPhone usage. The Intravee's settings will always overpower the iPhone itself (for example play/pause, random, etc). My phone also tends to reset to the first song in the library about 90% of the time I plug it into the Intravee. Another problem is that the Intravee messes with BMW Scanner readouts, causing it to return a multitude of false errors as long as the Intravee is plugged into the I-bus.

Something I haven't announced just yet: I'm going to have to make another PCB revision to iron out some audio bugs. At the same time, I'm looking to see exactly what I need to do in order to fully emulate the factory hands-free Bluetooth. This will mean an additional connector, but it will be worth it. I'm also going to integrate the "Microphone Adapter" to the main PCB, but I'll leave a second mic input for non-OE mics.
A full emulation of the factory BT that utilizes the green-orange-red LEDs and the radio phone button would be awesome! I like having my factory BT because the radio doesn't need to be on to receive a call, as with other BT adapters. The issue that I have with the factory BT is that it is way too quiet at highway speed; I even tried adjusting the hex volume level settings in the module to no avail.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
Cool, I think you'll enjoy tinkering with it. In addition to iPod control, it has a bunch of great features (as I'm sure you've heard), such as letting you customize the commands sent to the Intravee by all the head unit and steering wheel buttons, and a bunch of extra features like the multi-blink, remote power mirror fold/unfold, data readouts, and more that are described here.

The issue with he Intravee is that it uses a dated iPod control protocol which is too rigid for iPhone usage. The Intravee's settings will always overpower the iPhone itself (for example play/pause, random, etc). My phone also tends to reset to the first song in the library about 90% of the time I plug it into the Intravee. Another problem is that the Intravee messes with BMW Scanner readouts, causing it to return a multitude of false errors as long as the Intravee is plugged into the I-bus.

A full emulation of the factory BT that utilizes the green-orange-red LEDs and the radio phone button would be awesome! I like having my factory BT because the radio doesn't need to be on to receive a call, as with other BT adapters. The issue that I have with the factory BT is that it is way too quiet at highway speed; I even tried adjusting the hex volume level settings in the module to no avail.
It's weird that the Intravee causes problems with BMW Scanner. It doesn't directly respond to diagnostic messages (that I have seen), so I wonder what the root cause is there.

Yes, I agree that the factory BT's ability to take calls while the radio is off / not in Bluetooth mode is a huge plus. I believe all I need to do is shove a mono audio channel over the TELNF+ / TELNF- signals and 12v out through the TELON signal to get it working. Well, there's also the IBus side of things, but that won't be too hard to figure out since I have an Everest TCU :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Excited to see a new option on the market for BT connectivity. Trying to find a GROM or Mediabridge has been troublesome so I've just been using an old school cassette adapter for my Iphone. Sound quality is terrible, but it gets the job done for now.

I also really like the inclusion of triple blink.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
Just a small update:

If anyone was wondering how to trigger the blinkers, here's how it works:

Code:
D0 08 BF 5B A0 00 04 08 00 90 // LCM States Driver blinker is on
D0 08 BF 5B 40 00 04 08 00 70 // LCM States Passenger blinker is on
3F 0F D0 0C 00 00 FF 50 00 00 00 80 00 80 80 00 C3 // Diagnostics to LCM: Turn on the Driver blinker
3F 0F D0 0C 00 00 FF 80 00 00 00 80 00 80 80 00 13 // Diagnostics to LCM: Turn on the Passenger blinker
D0 03 3F A0 4C // LCM Acknowledges
3F 03 D0 9F 73 // Diagnostics to LCM: Turn off the passenger blinker
There still needs to be some logic wrapped around this functionality. For starters, we need to be able to cancel the sticky blinkers and we need to make sure that we don't trigger the message if the blinkers are on at "full" time.

41 - 60 of 73 Posts