BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

Fully Integrated Bluetooth Solution

224K views 1K replies 168 participants last post by  artwerks 
#1 ·
Hey guys!

I'd like to share a project I have been working on for almost a year -- it's a Bluetooth adapter for our cars that integrates as if it were factory equipment, much like the "Intravee". The adapter, known as the BlueBus, also integrates with other vehicles from the E39 era which were equipped with the IBus.

The only thing to note here as that I'm still working on MID integration.

Here's a video explaining the BlueBus: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UO9WvRbNzZg

You will also find more information about the project on the website listed below.

Anyways, I'm getting close to having them manufactured, so if there's any interest for it here, I have a "pre-order" form on the project website: https://www.bluebus.dev

I will not be taking money from anyone until I am ready to send off to manufacture, so keep that in mind, please.

Additionally, if you're capable, the project is fully open source, so you can have the boards built and source all of the components yourself, if you wanted :).

P.S. The main thread where I have been talking about the development of this module is over on M3F: Interest in a fully integrated A2DP Bluetooth solution? - BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X)

Thanks!
-Ted

See less See more
#2 ·
Sounds interesting, although I have the intravee it does lots of stuff other than music so I’d still be interested in this if it can be wired in as well as the intravee.

I also have OEM Bluetooth for phone calls but do think BT music streaming would be a great addition - can it work alongside the Intravee?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#6 ·
Looks interesting as long as the soundquality is good, I have tried some other replacement for the cd changer with an aux connection and the quality was pure garbage.

But this looks nice, what else can you do with the Ibus?

#7 ·
I've been told that the digital output is "even better" sounding than the CD Changer, in terms of quality.

An M5 owner who used to have the GROM-BT3 says my unit sounds better the GROM using the analog DSP connector (6-pin).

You can always try it out for two weeks and get a refund if you hate it, but I don't think you will :)

#10 ·
If you want a unit when they're first available, I highly recommend going on the pre order list -- otherwise you're going to be stuck waiting for me to get more manufactured. I'm not a company, so I don't have a bunch of money to throw into inventory ?.

They'll be under $200 (likely ~$175) when they're available and you'll get full install instructions with it ?

Thanks!
-Ted

#16 ·
Rosie,

Thanks! This would not be possible with the way the firmware has been developed. From a hardware stand-point, there is no reason it wouldn't work.

I may be able to add functionality to avoid using the CD Changer mode, but I cannot make any guarantees :)

-Ted

#24 ·
Hello Ted,

Great work on the BlueBus - it looks like a very polished solution for those with a factory sound system.

For those that have already moved to an aftermarket head unit, would it be possible to order only the Microphone adapter? If so, I’m in!

Thanks!

#27 ·
Hello!

The BlueBus is obviously way better integrated than the GROM units are. Additionally, my unit has upgradable software, so you'll keep getting new features as they're developed.

I have a beta user with an E39 M5 who happened to own the GROM prior to the BlueBus and he states that my unit has better range and the audio quality is way better.

Thanks!
-Ted

#28 ·
Can Metadata be displayed on the factory navigation and MID? Is that why the pre-order form allows both to be selected?

Where does the compatible microphone get mounted? In place of the factory microphone?

Does this require running cable or wire from the rear to the front in order to utilize the factory or compatible microphone? The video mentioned another PCB that required installation in the upper center console to utilize the factory microphone.

Incidentally, I like the five-blink turn signal and it's what I've programmed my X5 for.

Can anyone comment on the factory microphone and whether it's worth it to keep and use instead of a compatible microphone?

#29 · (Edited)
Yes, metadata can be displayed on both. I know some E38s had rear MIDs and factory nav, that's why that option is multiple choice ?

A compatible microphone may work at the factory location, but I imagine it would not work well because it'll be hard for it to pick up your voice. Most aftermarket mics state that they should be installed in the corner of the cluster, which makes sense but is aesthetically unpleasing.

In any case, I'd actually recommend hijacking the OE harness for a non OE mic. That means running two wires up the driver A pillar to the OE mic harness from where ever your mic has been installed. As long as the factory ULF or TCU are not installed, it'll be fine.

All E38 and E39 models that I have come across has the 3 pin white SES connector in the trunk that contains the mic positive and negative signals, so my kit will come with a jumper wire to connect that to the BlueBus.

The PCB mentioned is the OE mic adapter board. It takes the homelink connector and steps down the 12v to provide 5v to the OE microphone. The other side of the board decouples the DC voltage with a capacitor and outputs to the factory harness. You can see more about it here: https://github.com/tedsalmon/BlueBus/wiki/BMic-Adapter-Installation

Note that the board pictured is a prototype.

Are you using an Intravee for the 5-blink? I've been asked repeatedly for this feature, so I'm actively working on implementing it.

What I can say about the factory mic is that it has way better gain than a bog standard mic. It also, allegedly, has superior noise cancelation abilities, but I don't think this matters much as my BT adapter has algorithms employed for this.

Thanks!
-Ted

#30 ·
Added me to the pre-order list.

Assume this is fully fused etc, so worst scenario in case of hw failure is a blown fuse, nothing worse, right?

#31 ·
Correct! There is an on board 1.5A fuse. It's a littleblock SMD fuse holder, so if it were to go over current, it can be easily replaced without soldering. The board uses about 800mA when active, but different scenarios can drive that current a little higher ?

#32 ·
Reactions: josiahg52
#33 ·
Hello,

It seems as though you can use the Up/Down buttons rather than the phone button to mute the S1, so if you were to use the BlueBus for calls, I'd recommend using that combo instead.

With that being said, as long as you're not on a call or have a call ringing through, the phone button won't do anything to the BlueBus. A long press of the phone button will call your phones assistant (Siri / Google), so there's that.

Thanks!
-Ted

#47 ·
The CD43 is IBus capable, but it doesn't support the UI mode where the telephone is allowed to write to the screen as far as I know. This means that you wouldn't be able to see metadata, or configure the device without a computer.

There's also the question of it being pre-wired for the CD Changer, which is not one I know the answer to :).

So, in short: "Yes, but it would be a crappy integration and likely require some extra work on your end to wire it up".

#54 ·
Well, I like what I read here and in the website. Name added to the pre-order. Look forward to the unit.

#56 ·
Thanks! I appreciate the support :)

This is great, added my name to the pre-order list. I would replace my Intravee/Factory BT setup for this. +1 on the triple blink integration, too.
Thanks! Funny thing, I just got a loaner Intravee in the mail today, so I get to play around with it and see how it ticks.

Something I haven't announced just yet: I'm going to have to make another PCB revision to iron out some audio bugs. At the same time, I'm looking to see exactly what I need to do in order to fully emulate the factory hands-free Bluetooth. This will mean an additional connector, but it will be worth it. I'm also going to integrate the "Microphone Adapter" to the main PCB, but I'll leave a second mic input for non-OE mics.

In the near future, I'll offer the microphone boards for those who won't have the BlueBus.

#59 ·
Excited to see a new option on the market for BT connectivity. Trying to find a GROM or Mediabridge has been troublesome so I've just been using an old school cassette adapter for my Iphone. Sound quality is terrible, but it gets the job done for now.

I also really like the inclusion of triple blink.

#60 ·
Just a small update:

If anyone was wondering how to trigger the blinkers, here's how it works:

Code:
D0 08 BF 5B A0 00 04 08 00 90 // LCM States Driver blinker is on
D0 08 BF 5B 40 00 04 08 00 70 // LCM States Passenger blinker is on
3F 0F D0 0C 00 00 FF 50 00 00 00 80 00 80 80 00 C3 // Diagnostics to LCM: Turn on the Driver blinker
3F 0F D0 0C 00 00 FF 80 00 00 00 80 00 80 80 00 13 // Diagnostics to LCM: Turn on the Passenger blinker
D0 03 3F A0 4C // LCM Acknowledges
3F 03 D0 9F 73 // Diagnostics to LCM: Turn off the passenger blinker
There still needs to be some logic wrapped around this functionality. For starters, we need to be able to cancel the sticky blinkers and we need to make sure that we don't trigger the message if the blinkers are on at "full" time.

#62 ·
Hello!

I posted this to M3Forum yesterday as an update:

Sorry for the lack of updates -- life has been super busy lately! In terms of the BlueBus, I am currently working on getting a prototype laid out for the newest revision which adds the following features:

1. Full emulation of the factory TCU from a hardware standpoint
2. A standard 3.5mm audio jack to use with a standard microphone (such as the GROM's).
3. Built-in circuitry to power the OE mic, to do away with the requirement for the "Microphone Adapter".

I expect to have this done by next week.

I'm also working to source Clear Voice Capture licenses for the BC127 Bluetooth module, which is proving harder than I anticipated. My options are an 8 week lead time to have Sierra Wireless build the modules with the license built in, or wading through the murky waters to get the license directly from Qualcomm, which is what I'm currently working on.

Additionally, I'm packing up to move the family from Las Vegas, NV to Southern Ohio in a couple weeks, so that has thrown a wrench in my time-frames. I'm hoping to be ready to take money mid-June and then send the boards off for manufacture. If I don't have to wait for Sierra Wireless to build the modules, then it should be a three week turn around, otherwise I will have to incentivize prospective users to let me old onto their money for 11 weeks or so, then take the money I make there to have more units made.

The 8 week lead time also poses a problem in that I need to pre-pay for the modules, which will be around $7,000 worth.

I'll send an email out to all prospective customers once I have a solid plan for manufacture, which should be in the next couple of weeks.

Thanks!
-Ted

#66 ·
Thanks! The Install should be pretty simple. If you're wanting to add the TCU functionality (hands-free calls regardless of Radio mode), then you'll need to fiddle with a "pick" and some wires to get them de-pinned and moved over to the connector I'll provide. It shouldn't be too hard at all.

Sadly for you, I'm not at all into Audi's :devil