BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys!

I'd like to share a project I have been working on for almost a year -- it's a Bluetooth adapter for our cars that integrates as if it were factory equipment, much like the "Intravee". The adapter, known as the BlueBus, also integrates with other vehicles from the E39 era which were equipped with the IBus.

The only thing to note here as that I'm still working on MID integration.

Here's a video explaining the BlueBus: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UO9WvRbNzZg

You will also find more information about the project on the website listed below.

Anyways, I'm getting close to having them manufactured, so if there's any interest for it here, I have a "pre-order" form on the project website: https://www.bluebus.dev

I will not be taking money from anyone until I am ready to send off to manufacture, so keep that in mind, please.

Additionally, if you're capable, the project is fully open source, so you can have the boards built and source all of the components yourself, if you wanted :).

P.S. The main thread where I have been talking about the development of this module is over on M3F: Interest in a fully integrated A2DP Bluetooth solution? - BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X)

Thanks!
-Ted

·
Registered
221 Posts
Sounds interesting, although I have the intravee it does lots of stuff other than music so I’d still be interested in this if it can be wired in as well as the intravee.

I also have OEM Bluetooth for phone calls but do think BT music streaming would be a great addition - can it work alongside the Intravee?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sounds interesting, although I have the intravee it does lots of stuff other than music so I’d still be interested in this if it can be wired in as well as the intravee.

I also have OEM Bluetooth for phone calls but do think BT music streaming would be a great addition - can it work alongside the Intravee?

It cannot work in tandem with the Intravee, unfortunately.

What features do you want from the Intravee? I'm always open to adding new features, though I cannot give you a timeline, since this is a side project :)

·
Registered
221 Posts
It cannot work in tandem with the Intravee, unfortunately.

What features do you want from the Intravee? I'm always open to adding new features, though I cannot give you a timeline, since this is a side project :)

I figured it couldn’t :(

The only thing I’m missing is BT streaming, it might sound odd as the intravee obviously gives me fully integrated music but there are times when it would be handy ie. someone else in the car wants to stream their phone

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I figured it couldn’t :(

The only thing I’m missing is BT streaming, it might sound odd as the intravee obviously gives me fully integrated music but there are times when it would be handy ie. someone else in the car wants to stream their phone

Unfortunately, we both hook into the vehicle using the CD Changer functionality.

I would've just gone for an Intravee myself if it could do BT. It's an awesome product with awesome support. Oh well :/

·
Registered
12 Posts
Looks interesting as long as the soundquality is good, I have tried some other replacement for the cd changer with an aux connection and the quality was pure garbage.

But this looks nice, what else can you do with the Ibus?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Looks interesting as long as the soundquality is good, I have tried some other replacement for the cd changer with an aux connection and the quality was pure garbage.

I've been told that the digital output is "even better" sounding than the CD Changer, in terms of quality.

An M5 owner who used to have the GROM-BT3 says my unit sounds better the GROM using the analog DSP connector (6-pin).

You can always try it out for two weeks and get a refund if you hate it, but I don't think you will :)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I forgot to respond to this 🙂

Right now, not a whole lot. I have plans for this, but I wanted to get the core module done before worrying about nice to haves 🙂.

I plan on allowing the module to sync the time from GPS in Nav equipped cars and I'm probably going to add triple blink.

Thanks!
-Ted

·
Registered
207 Posts
I am definitely interested. Let me know when you have production units available for sale, the cost, as well as how to integrate the factory microphone.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I am definitely interested. Let me know when you have production units available for sale, the cost, as well as how to integrate the factory microphone.
If you want a unit when they're first available, I highly recommend going on the pre order list -- otherwise you're going to be stuck waiting for me to get more manufactured. I'm not a company, so I don't have a bunch of money to throw into inventory 😕.

They'll be under $200 (likely ~$175) when they're available and you'll get full install instructions with it 🙂

Thanks!
-Ted

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Hat's off my friend, I though of a similar project glad to see someone came forth and put the time and effort and is bringing something to market.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hat's off my friend, I though of a similar project glad to see someone came forth and put the time and effort and is bringing something to market.
Thank you! This has been a labor of love -- I've put hundreds of hours into it and have spent almost a year developing and perfecting it.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
This is an absolutely fantastic product and looks to be well implemented.
Would it be possible to run it in AUX mode like an option the PiBus has.
Rosie,

Thanks! This would not be possible with the way the firmware has been developed. From a hardware stand-point, there is no reason it wouldn't work.

I may be able to add functionality to avoid using the CD Changer mode, but I cannot make any guarantees :)

-Ted

1 - 20 of 73 Posts
About this Discussion
72 Replies
25 Participants
DonutRanger
BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums
M5Board is the best forum community for information on the BMW M5 E60 (V-10), E39 (V-8), E34 (straight 6), E28, F90 and F10. Discuss performance, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing