BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Before anything, I must say thank you to both Bill/Sean/Will and all those in the Discovery Auto family as without them, my car could not have been completed.

Secondly, as the driver for most of the trip back from CA to TX (except for a 8 hour stint late at night) I do not have any video/pictures of the car but my buddy from florida does and will be making an edited video to take a look at. Sean has been nice enough to say that he would host such a thing.

Fine already..jesus, you people are pushy...the driving experience.

The first sight of her I could hardly hold back my excitement (ala the picture that was posted). From all the pictures that I saw of mine next to abduallas car, mine always looked a bit thin on the aerodynamic side of things but after seeing it in person and by itself...its flat perfect. I actually got a 2 hour drive home in my m3 while my buddy drove the m5 home from San Antonio back to Corpus. She looks great.

The sound....the closest thing that I can think of is honestly a jet in the front half of the car and a NASCAR in the back. Absolutely amazing and it gets TONS of attention. The whine of the supercharger outside with the exhaust note makes people look. Imagine driving through Beverly Hills with a NASCAR, thats exactly what i did. Extremely funny. Yet for high way cruising below 80, its actually alot quieter than I ever would have imagined. Very livable.

Power...well i must say that i had a slight bit of a problem with the car but nothing that anyone could have known about. The day that i picked up the car on tuesday it was raining the whole day and i ran through one of those larger puddles and from what I can figure sucked a bit of water up to the MAF's. So from about 3500-4300 I had a stumble as the MAFs read improperly and tried to enrichen the mixture too much....but after about 4800-----HOLY GOD. The car is very very streetable below about 3000 but after that it is an absolute monster. The mafs were attempted to be cleaned in LA (thinking it might have just been some dirt on them) but then I had some cold start issues and when i reached Phoenix I had the car put up to the G1 on Chapman BMW's lifts... (Great guys there). Talk about the looks of "F--- ME!" Everyone there was flat out impressed with the car and many of the techs even looked at the quality and commented on how clean and professional it was.

As has been stated by Sean, in one of my late night runs across the desert I came across a 996/997 (couldnt quite tell from the quick look I had) C4S but I guess this person was unaware of what my car held and came up fairly quickly on me, hesitated as if to look and see what it was and then passed on the left hand side. So in doing so, I decided that this was the first challange I had had. So I decided to slowly catch back up and pass him on the left in 6th lugging it by him just so he could hear what he was about to get. He decided to speed up as well. At that point I down shifted to enable him to hear the car spool up, and then went back into 6th and got ahead of him. Once infront of him, I down shifted to 5th and mashed the throttle and blew soot all over his precious porsche while he became a HID colored blip in my rear view mirror. I then slowed down after reaching 150 (it takes no less than 4 seconds from 80---honest! And thats with a mandated Max rev of 6K while the engine breaks in)

So other than some dead mafs that I could not wait to be fixed, and having to drive straight 24 hours back to texas, the car is wonderful.

Ill post more in a few .

·
Registered
4,101 Posts
Congratulations on the completion of your super-M5. I am eagerly awaiting the pictures and video. If it was a C4S, then it had to be a 996. Not even a challenge for your new car!

'Rocket

·
Registered
837 Posts
I cannot wait to see your car it sounds great, once again congrats on your awesome project, looking forward to hearing more about it. How many miles till she's fully broke in? Josh

·
Registered
3,469 Posts
Rob,

Congratulations for the final completion. It has been a long road.

Now you can cover those long road trips in half the time. :)

Great job. Enjoy in good health, both physical and mental.

CP

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
Congratulations! Congratualtions! I look forward to seeing more details and pics. Now you're just going to have to take a bunch of road trips all around the country to show us your car :hihi:

Anita

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
congrates!!!!!
its been along time coming. Now tell me, are these videos you got gonna make me sell the Porsche and ship my car to Discovery???

josh.

·
Registered
12,865 Posts
Glad you finally have her back in your possession. All the time (and some of the pain) of the last year will melt away everytime you mash the go pedal. Only questions is: now, will you change the oil or the tires more often!!! :hihihi: Enjoy your new toy!!! :thumbsup:
Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
784 Posts
For me the big story has been written, for Rob the adventure has just begun.

Meeting Rob for the first time when he flew in to pick up his car was wonderful; he flew in along with two of his very close friends that flew in from different parts of the country for the unveiling. To see his eyes when he saw his gal made all the long days and nights worth while.

Then when he sat in the seat and fired her I could see his leg twitching ……. I even commented on it to him and he said ….your right and smiled.

The last several days I wanted to say something….....maybe a road report….. but this was Rob’s moment and his story to share so I remained silent. I have already had the pleasure of sharing mine.

From the time he drove away we chatted a couple times a day…..sometimes I would call just to let him know I was close and cared, sometimes to familiarize him with functions such as the reading of and understanding the operation of a true wide band O2 sensor…… and yes even when he had spent hours in the rain and decided to stretch her legs and she hiccupped…… however by the time I chatted with him the conversation went something like this “What's up Bill, .......oh yes I had a concern however we are just about to go across the Richmond Bay Bridge........ but wait a minute and let me get a clear spot………then …..… vvvrrrrooooommmmmm……… all feels good Bill, I think that she was just not ready to leave you”….. we both laughed as were his passengers and I speculated with him that he sucked a bit of water or ???? Fact be it known I cleaned the MAF’s shortly before he arrived to pick up the car because one was intermittently acting up. I shared this with Rob as well I also shared that the process is a crap shoot in my opinion so let’s watch it. The next morning he called me and we went through a cold start together, perfect and again they were off………… miles, events, and stories he will tell will remain with him FOREVER……… there is no doubt that he enjoyed picking the gal up……driving through San Francisco, spending time in SoCal ….his experience with the valet attendant…and even racing through Beverly Hills….as he said he made a lot of friends there….. then Rob clarified that he meant that sound of the car caused them all to look at him….he suspected they were hoping he would leave soon………. “The Lord Of Thunder” rolled through just as I promised.

Then I think the next moment that I found most enjoyable was when he was passing through Arizona, he had a cold start problem earlier in the day so I suggested that he stop at the BMW dealer in Scottsdale and see if they hook her up to the GT1 and if need be deal with the MAF sensor.….. I shared that as he approached and he opened the hood......…they would either welcome him in or post a cross made out of their arms….in as much to be saying out of here…….as it was they not only welcomed him in ……..but for the next hour or so he was the “KING OF THE HILL”....the people surrounded him and the gal the entire time he was there. I even chatted with the technician Chris that hooked her up to the GT1…..great guy….he said Bill all system look good, no faults, all adaptations within spec.... a simply wondeful car ..... there is no reason they can not hit the road however if they want to remain for a few hours he would gladly confirm the cold start issue and verify the MAFS. Rob called a bit later to tell me that rather than waiting there for a few hours they were going to continue their trip and let the dealer in his home town take care of, he liked Chris and wished he could work on her however they wanted to keep moving. He then went on thank me and to to tell me how much they all liked the car…… I said that is cool Rob, thanks for sharing but what is most important to me is how you feel……he said that he loved it…. I could feel his smile through the phone….. I know he was happy….. I told him to enjoy the moment……he deserved…it was his project on his car………. I was only the person that he allowed to work with him on the project.

I know that Rob already racked up a couple road kills…… but I will also share that I also know that he remained very sensitive to the methodical nature that I requested he treat her during his trip home……. Now it is time for fresh oil and filter……..and then to begin prowling the neighborhoods looking for unsuspecting folks that never heard of the “Twins”…. Certainly there must be someone out there……he better hurry before the magazine articles come out....

It has truly been enjoyable

Thank you all; particularly you Rob

Shadowman

·
Registered
267 Posts
Well, must be nice to have such an exclusive and beatiful beast....congratulations, and take care of her....cannot wait for pix.

Ed

·
Registered
6,354 Posts
Most of Bahrain know about Abdulla's beast, so he's not gonna challenged by the unsuspecting driver!!!!!

Congrats Rob, wish you all the best and very very happy motoring!

·
Registered
4,412 Posts
Congrats Rob, you have one awesone beast. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
225 Posts
WOW!!!!!!!!!! Congratulations Rob:7: !!!!!!!!1 Awesome....simply awesome!

Robert

·
Registered
4,246 Posts
Congratulations Rob, I can't wait for the pictures and videos. Enjoy the new "super beast"!

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks guys for the commnets.

I just want to say that i am sorry that i was not able to contact those people that I had said that I would, as my time table became very accelerated at times.

Also Bill did a good job of filling in alot of the MAF subject that I have not been able to as of yet. Even though I did return 2 days ago, I spent most of the first day sleeping to recover and then went out till 4am that (sunday) night. Then with Easter Holiday yesterday I put family/life ahead of the car for one more day.

I should at some point very soon be going to the dealer today to speak with my master tech there and walk him through alot of the differences on the car so that we can get the MAF's taken care of as well as the oil change.

The car is now fully broken in engine wise and it can now be taken all the way to the 7800 rpm limit (although 6000 is crazy enough from when i was driving).

If i show up to the dealer today, ill take some pics of the car (but most of you have seen some already) but if the car gets started, ill take some video of that as well.

·
Registered
959 Posts
Which part of TX are you in? I need to check that bad boy out.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Shadowman mentioned the article that will be coming out. What magazine and when??? I can't wait to see the video and wish you could of stayed in the LA area for a few day so all of us locals could take a look at it and hear it in person. Great write up. Keep them coming!!!:M5launch: :thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 33 Posts