BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My buddy is building a crazy E61 and asked my to handle the lighting, although I HATE working on these headlights, I couldn't leave a fellow E61 owner hanging. LTMW is handling the air ride, Pandem widebody install, and paint.

Build Specs:
Morimoto MD2S Bi-Xenon projectors (black demon eye)
Morimoto xb LED corner light
Morimoto xb D2S bulbs
Valeo D1S-D2S Ignitors
OEM Hella ballasts
Angel Eye delete
Tinted Fins
Black Housing paint
LED turn signal bulbs
Blacked out tail housings + frosted LED tubes (lens will receive full red-out via LTMW)
Full lens correction + Opti-Lens
New OEM gaskets
Full service headlight removal and installation

Evan

BEFORE

LENS CORRECTION
Before

Step 1

Step 2

Step 3

Step 4

Step 5

Step 6

+ Opti Lens

After Lens Correction

Not much too much room to work with on these dynamic BMW headlights

This may not mean anything to most people but @umichchris will understand the accomplishment of opening and clearing all the oem permaseal...

I drilled some additional holes and mounted the MD2S projector with the oem hardware in the oem mounting locations! Clean! Projector also has a black demon eye.

Morimoto xb LED fogs getting paint-taped prior to mounting

Some quick setting putty to hold them in place

JB Kwik

Oem wiring was in bad shape so I trimmed and protected the exposed wires.

Soldered wiring with a PNP connection for the LED corner light.

OEM fins

After treatment

Corner lights after paint

Fitment came out super clean, really happy about the oem+ appearance

D1S-D2S ignitors mating the oem ballast and MD2S bulbs.

After paint

Prior to installing the lens

Oem output

Output after

All sealed up

Tails

Both

Install:
Before

After

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
you gotta be careful... the MODs will ban/lock your threads when posting work you complete for others...they will want you to be a paid sponsor...something i learned the hard way...which is why i no longer share my crazy builds on this site :/

·
Registered
386 Posts
you gotta be careful... the MODs will ban/lock your threads when posting work you complete for others...they will want you to be a paid sponsor...something i learned the hard way...which is why i no longer share my crazy builds on this site :/
Is that not the whole point of forums like this, to share your builds and help others out?

·
Registered
13,456 Posts
Is that not the whole point of forums like this, to share your builds and help others out?
Not unless you make a business out of doing it.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Eh so if you do it for fun or to help others that's wrong but if you do it to make money that OK.... Well that's a load of **** if you ask me.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yea, I totally get it. If you are capitalizing on the forum to reach an audience that you would otherwise not have I understand how they would want to be compensated that service.
However on the flip-side of that forums are all content driven so if you are scaring away potential sponsors with aggressive fees, it is possible the forum would only be hurting itself in the long run. In some extreme cases I could even see forums buying exclusive rights to a product/service, where the vendor is actually making money off the forum due to the high amount of traffic the vendor is bringing in.

Personally I think I have made it clear in my various posts the I have zero-to-barely any interest in future E6X builds and I hope the mods understand that. Of course if I am out of line hopefully they will bring it to my attention and we can resolve any issues.

I get a lot of enjoyment reading before/after and build threads; I went through the effort of sharing these headlight builds as others may find them interesting. I mean we are all car dorks at heart.

Evan

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
i agree with you broham.

i do a lot of lighting mods...but part time. its def not a money maker but a passion. and im def not gna put 30 man hours into some super cool creative light set-up without charging money for it lol

and if you do multiple projects, you had better protect yourself by making it a business and separate your labor from personal liability bc there are tons of scammers out here. but once you do that and share your work then you've gotta be a forum sponsor...thats the trick of it. so tread lightly but keep doing cool sh!t bro! :)

Yea, I totally get it. If you are capitalizing on the forum to reach an audience that you would otherwise not have I understand how they would want to be compensated that service.
However on the flip-side of that forums are all content driven so if you are scaring away potential sponsors with aggressive fees, it is possible the forum would only be hurting itself in the long run. In some extreme cases I could even see forums buying exclusive rights to a product/service, where the vendor is actually making money off the forum due to the high amount of traffic the vendor is bringing in.

Personally I think I have made it clear in my various posts the I have zero-to-barely any interest in future E6X builds and I hope the mods understand that. Of course if I am out of line hopefully they will bring it to my attention and we can resolve any issues.

I get a lot of enjoyment reading before/after and build threads; I went through the effort of sharing these headlight builds as others may find them interesting. I mean we are all car dorks at heart.

Evan

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
This wagon has been at LTMW forever, since March 2015 to be exact. I am eagerly awaiting for it to be finished and released out into the wild so I (or someone) can take some legitimate photos of the build.

Patiently waiting...
Evan

1 - 11 of 11 Posts