BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I never seen an M5 with these many option/buttons.?

Does anyone know what are the second buttong with seat icon for ..(the one next to the heated seat) ?

Regardz,

J Irwan

·
Registered
977 Posts
Seat recirculation. It's mentioned in the manual. I assume it's a fan in the seat that turns on and off to move air through it.

J Irwan said:
Hi guys,

Does anyone know what are the second buttong with seat icon for ..(the one next to the heated seat) ?

Regardz,

J Irwan

·
Registered
245 Posts
DrewT said:
actually I think they are active seats, meaning they make minor adjustments over longer drives to keep you more comfortable, the thing next to sport is the rear window shade.
That is correct. I had them on my 02 530, and it uses air bladder on the seat cushion (alternately filling the left or right) to vary the spine angle to help with stiff back.

John

·
Registered
12,393 Posts
AFAIK, the comfort seats were not a USA option... only available in non-USA markets, at least on the m5. The comfort seat option is available on 5 and 7 series.

WHat does the seat in this car look like?

"Comfort seat" is differnet than "sport" interior/seats and "luxury" interior seat

A

·
Registered
977 Posts
Woops. Active Seat, I remember now. My bad. Seat recirculation would have been a better option anyway :/

I also remember reading that the comfort seats have an adjustable side bolster that can be moved forward and back.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ard said:
AFAIK, the comfort seats were not a USA option... only available in non-USA markets, at least on the m5. The comfort seat option is available on 5 and 7 series.

WHat does the seat in this car look like?

"Comfort seat" is differnet than "sport" interior/seats and "luxury" interior seat

A

There you go

Regardz,

J Irwan

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
ard said:
Huh- So do the buttons make the seats circulate and inflate and otherwise wiggle around??
I was just waiting for this thread to start getting silly--thanks ard!!! :hihi: It has such great potential. Just looking at that button gives me all kinds of ideas hiha hiha hiha

Anita

·
Registered
12,393 Posts
Glad to oblige - :)

But I am really curious as I've always understood that those buttons are for seats that are EU only. I fully expected to see different seats in this car.

A

·
Registered
245 Posts
ard said:
Glad to oblige - :)

But I am really curious as I've always understood that those buttons are for seats that are EU only. I fully expected to see different seats in this car.

A
The active seats were not available as option on US 5-series (incl. M5) and comfort seats were not available for M5. I ordered my 530 via the diplomat program and was able to get the active seat even though mine was a US spec. car. Active seat/comfort seats looks like the standard 5-series seats, except for the couple of extra buttons and the articulating upper back support.

·
Registered
89 Posts
My 2000 M5 has Active/Comfort seats but it came from Canada. There are other threads on the topic with differentiating pictures. Active seat basically moves fluid from one side of the seat to the other, rocking you left and right about 1 cycle per minute. Supposedly improves circulation and keeps you more alert on long drives. I never use it, other than to turn it on to make unsuspecting passengers wonder what's going on. The comfort seat part of the equation is very nice though - very comfortable, very adjustable (including a break just below the shoulders that you can change the angle of), though not as side-bolstered and sporty as the standard seats. The comfort seat has a power headrest in place of a powered thigh support extension, and the headrests are more pillow-like than the standard seat.

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
tomlavelle said:
and the headrests are more pillow-like than the standard seat.
I like the idea of a comfortable head rest, for those times when I want to give my head a rest. Well maybe not so comfy that I start snoozing while I'm cruising, but one that's just right. Oh great, now I sound like Goldielocks.

Anita

·
Registered
12,393 Posts
tomlavelle said:
The comfort seat has a power headrest in place of a powered thigh support extension, and the headrests are more pillow-like than the standard seat.
From the picture he attached, it looks like a standard M5 seat with the thigh support... I guess it is an active but non-comfort seat?

J Irwan- is it a Canada car? Where was it originally imported/titled?

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
ard said:
From the picture he attached, it looks like a standard M5 seat with the thigh support... I guess it is an active but non-comfort seat?

J Irwan- is it a Canada car? Where was it originally imported/titled?
I am not sure ,

but here is the link to the auction..
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=4559175737&category=6131&sspagename=WDVW

On another note

BTW finally after all the waiting and searching I am picking mine up tomorrow ....woowwoohooo... :D:D:D:D
I am too excited right now, I know probably I am going to have some problem sleeping to night....
big day tomorrow :D

Regards,

J Irwan

·
Registered
12,393 Posts

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
ard said:
Carfax sucks.

Their report states it is a one owner Florida car.
The mileage check is OK, with a mileage of 5049 on 7/4/02
The one owner acquired the car on 8/22/2002

Hey, how'd it get 5000 miles on it without an owner???
could it be a demo unit..? (just a thought)

Regardz,

J Irwan

·
Registered
146 Posts
As you've found out, they are active seats. For the other buttons, you have DSC, Sport and PDC (which you should know about:haha: ) . The other is for the rear sunshade.

Interestingly, my car came with exactly the same set of buttons on it (same order too). When I complained that the PDC and active seats didn't work, the dealer took out the buttons, replaced with blanks and told me that the systems were not installed ... :sad2: For the PDC, my car is a '99 so rear sensors only (and PDC automatically selected with reverse, you can't manually engage it with the button (as I could on my 7'er). For the seats, they're sports seats so not a possible option.

Long story short - it was (apparently) popular in Europe to have all the buttons fitted just for visual impact. If anyone is buying this car, check first that the options actually exist :3:

Fortunately, none of them bothered me too much; it has all the other options I wanted.

Regards,

Gary.

J Irwan said:
Hi guys,

Regardz,

J Irwan

1 - 20 of 21 Posts