BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

So here I am a new happy owner of the Alpine White E60 M5 6 speed manual BMW. I bought a car about a month ago, before buying it was debating if I should just supercharge my E39 or buy E60 and later supercharge E60 :). I even had a thread asking if I was getting a good deal or not, long story short I bought it :) and never regretted it (however my E39 is still in the process of having rod bearings replaced, tranny swap etc..) so I have not had a chance of comparing them side to side, however can tell one thing: I love E60 as much as I love my e39.

When I first saw the car seller was in the process custom building stainless still exhaust, he had a car posted for sale and because he could not sell it for about a month, he decided to build custom exhaust for it thinking if he doesn't sell, at least he would enjoy driving it.

I made a short video of exhaust sound, have some pictures of the build process as well as dyno runs before and after.

I love the sound, however sometimes I wish it was a little quieter, I park the car every day in the 6 floor parking garage and I set off at least 5 alarms every day when I pull in, believe me, I am trying to drive as slow as possible, otherwise, I would be setting a lot more alarms. :)

I really had no experience driving it with stock exhaust, seller told me it was very quite and almost silent inside, anyhow below are the links.

Please let me know what you guys think about the sound ;)

Exhaust sound short run:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWSNEv3nUxI

Dyno test:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TabQo-lyumA

PS: car is completely stock except the exhaust.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
Glad to see you got that car! Every time I hear custom exhaust on here I think of shoddy welds and build quality, but wow these caught me off guard. It sounds and looks absolutely amazing. Can you post some more with stationary revs and an acceleration run/fly by? Interesting choices he made on the resonators and mufflers I've never heard of Aero Exhaust before.

Out of curiosity, I wonder if he made these for others how much he would charge?

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Judging by the time put into fitment, material and weld quality he could not make a profit at the current accepted market rate, unless he invests in a jig and charges a premium (commensurate with the quality that is visually evident), it would not be worth his time.

This and how clean the car is still makes it a great buy, a very unique one at that.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys, when original owner was building it, he told me that had no idea how exactly it will sound, but should sound similar to Lambo, and I think it does, but a lot louder. He has his own shop doing custom fabrications, and he said that build a lot of e60 exhausts but never for M5. Total time he spent of this exhaust was aprox. 60 hours, yes quality of his work is top notch, you can see by the welds etc.

I asked him if he would be interested building systems like this for other M5 members (if there will be interest) he said NO, said it is to much time and doesn't worth it for him, so I am guessing it is one of the kind system.

I will make more videos of the sound, will try this weekend, I have to find a place where I can do a video going at least 80 driving by and not getting caught by law enforcement, the are a lot of "activist" who will call a police when they hear "lambo" racing around :crying:

One bizarre thought, I may consider trading this exhaust for a stock one + cash, I do love the sound but since I use the car for every day commute sometimes driving from work I want just enjoy the car and not feel like I am on the race track. Ideally I would like to at least try out stock exhaust and see how I feel about it, most likely if I do get rid of this exhaust I will regret it later though, so not sure and not trying to sell it at this point, just wanted to see what you guys think about it's sound :)

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
Thanks guys, when original owner was building it, he told me that had no idea how exactly it will sound, but should sound similar to Lambo, and I think it does, but a lot louder. He has his own shop doing custom fabrications, and he said that build a lot of e60 exhausts but never for M5. Total time he spent of this exhaust was aprox. 60 hours, yes quality of his work is top notch, you can see by the welds etc.

I asked him if he would be interested building systems like this for other M5 members (if there will be interest) he said NO, said it is to much time and doesn't worth it for him, so I am guessing it is one of the kind system.

I will make more videos of the sound, will try this weekend, I have to find a place where I can do a video going at least 80 driving by and not getting caught by law enforcement, the are a lot of "activist" who will call a police when they hear "lambo" racing around :crying:

One bizarre thought, I may consider trading this exhaust for a stock one + cash, I do love the sound but since I use the car for every day commute sometimes driving from work I want just enjoy the car and not feel like I am on the race track. Ideally I would like to at least try out stock exhaust and see how I feel about it, most likely if I do get rid of this exhaust I will regret it later though, so not sure and not trying to sell it at this point, just wanted to see what you guys think about it's sound :)
I figured it would be a no lol. Give it some additional time since you just got the car before you make the decision of going to a stock exhaust or not.

I'm in for more videos though! :)

·
Registered
3,940 Posts

·
Registered
13,461 Posts
Does not sound bad at all.

·
Read Only
1,256 Posts
Very nice!

I'd however dyno it at the same dyno that was used for the stock measurement. Different dynos vary widely in measurements so your 20hp could be very short or very high.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Very nice!

I'd however dyno it at the same dyno that was used for the stock measurement. Different dynos vary widely in measurements so your 20hp could be very short or very high.
Thanks, I know I didn't dyno myself, previous owner did, I should do it..

1 - 13 of 13 Posts