BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I am looking to replace my fuel tank breather valve and see that the price is absolutely ridiculous.
Fuel Tank Breather Valve $336 the cheapest.

Are there any other ones that are compatible? (I've been meaning to replace it for a while and it hasn't caused any issues, is it even necessary to replace?) Seems ridiculous to overpay so much for this part that originally was $80 at the dealer.

·
Registered
311 Posts
WHAT THE F***?! I literally just got one for my car few months ago for $95 from FCP! What the hell is up with the $300 price jack? That is beyond ridiculous!

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I ordered a cheaper one from Amazon and Ebay - Amazon already cancelled. Ebay one has been ignoring

·
Registered
358 Posts
Perhaps someone should try this one: 13901433603
It looks a bit smaller, but seems to have the same hose connectors and wiring connector. It might have a little less flow through it since it is smaller, but I doubt that really matter. This valve just needs to open when the computer commands it to when the engine is running to purge the tank vapors.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Also, there is an aftermarket version of this valve available, Standard Motor Vapor Canister Purge Solenoids CP783 for $74. It is a pretty simple device, so the aftermarket part will likely work well.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Damn that is ridiculous. Not sure if you would entertain installing in a used part, but you could always reach out to clemster or Mike to see if they have a used one? Is this under the plenum and is one of those "while you're in there" parts?

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
I was able to find one on ebay from Lithuania, OE Genuine BMW part, $75 shipped. Sure it will take 2 months to get here, LOL, but at least I'll have it at the cost it freakin SHOULD be!

·
Registered
358 Posts
When I was doing some work under my manifold a while back, just as a preventative measure, I sprayed a bit of light oil into my purge valve. Easy to do through the large port without even removing the valve. Figured can't hurt anything and long term can prevent it seizing up. It is on my list to do again the next time I have the manifold off.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Is this under the plenum and is one of those "while you're in there" parts?
I did it a few months ago “while I was in there” for VCGs and all those related items. Glad I did after seeing this, and I think I got it from FCP too if I remember about that in 20 or 30 years when and if it fails :rolleyes:

Everyone says it’s a massive PITA but I found it really easy .. five minute job if that once everything is off. It depends on the condition of the bottom hose I’m guessing.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I was able to find one on ebay from Lithuania, OE Genuine BMW part, $75 shipped. Sure it will take 2 months to get here, LOL, but at least I'll have it at the cost it freakin SHOULD be!
Yeah, I ordered that one as well. They marked it as shipped without a tracking number. Not super hopeful on it actually coming.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Also, there is an aftermarket version of this valve available, Standard Motor Vapor Canister Purge Solenoids CP783 for $74. It is a pretty simple device, so the aftermarket part will likely work well.

How did you find this? I searched everywhere and couldn't find an aftermarket one. Anyone use this one?

·
Registered
358 Posts
I looked it up on Rockauto.com. They were out of stock, but then once I got the actual part number (CP783) I just searched google.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I kicked the can down the road too long on this one, boys. Went online and noticed the price hike. Did any of the alternatives work? Also, can it be cleaned with solvent or is the sticking an electrical failure with the solenoid?

·
Registered
86 Posts
This is the one I removed from my car a couple of years ago. As fitted at the factory back in 2001. The replacement part I fitted as part of an under plenum refresh was 13907830766. The old one worked fine but was replaced in the cause of planned maintenance.

Look at the part number. The full old part number is 13901748875. If you search for that you should find cheaper aftermarket alternatives. Brand new Febi Bilstein ones are available for less than £40 over here in the UK.

The 13907830766 one, which must somehow supersede that older part number, is upwards of £250 here. What I don't know is whether the newer version is in an improvement over the original factory-fitted one. Realoem isn't very helpful when checking backwards/forwards compatibility between the two. However, 13901748875 was definitely the one fitted at the factory and not erroneously fitted by a previous owner. No record (or other tell-tale physical evidence) of any under-plenum work done before my ownership.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts