BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took my car out today and suddenly had a fuel starvation problem, pulled over and managed to limp to a parking area, BMW was shut at this time so got a small non-dealer garage to have a look at it. I thought it was a clogged filter or at worst a fuel pump problem, but he said he had checked and plenty of fuel pressure to the engine. so those 2 ruled out. He now feels it is a valve problem and is checking it on saturday. The car was basically coughing and spluttering and after about 30 minutes waiting for the recovery I got in and it ran perfect for about 10 minutes then the fuel starvation recurred. Managed to limp back to the parking area and was recovered to the garage. Any ideas?
WillM5AD

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
willm5ad said:
Took my car out today and suddenly had a fuel starvation problem, pulled over and managed to limp to a parking area, BMW was shut at this time so got a small non-dealer garage to have a look at it. I thought it was a clogged filter or at worst a fuel pump problem, but he said he had checked and plenty of fuel pressure to the engine. so those 2 ruled out. He now feels it is a valve problem and is checking it on saturday. The car was basically coughing and spluttering and after about 30 minutes waiting for the recovery I got in and it ran perfect for about 10 minutes then the fuel starvation recurred. Managed to limp back to the parking area and was recovered to the garage. Any ideas?
WillM5AD
Guess not

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
No real ideas, just guesses and a few questions. Do you get an SES light? Does it act like "limp home mode" where you can stop & restart the car to resolve it for a time? Since it runs good at times, I doubt it's a mechanical problem. I would suspect bad gas or a clogged fuel pickup in the tank. If you get solid fuel pressure while it's running rough, bad spark is the next guess. Check for fowled plugs, etc. A BMW knowledgeable dealer would be best to check fault codes, etc.

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,977 Posts
What rotten luck, Will!

Having ruled out fuel pressure is a good starting point. It could be a broken fuel injector or injector driver circuit.

Any SES-light? Any codes?

David

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
DavidS said:
What rotten luck, Will!

Having ruled out fuel pressure is a good starting point. It could be a broken fuel injector or injector driver circuit.

Any SES-light? Any codes?

David
Sorted - Fuel tank breather valve.
Will

·
Registered
12,393 Posts
willm5ad said:
Sorted - Fuel tank breather valve.
Will
Cool- he was right, it was a valve problem....

A

PS Interesting the way it took a while to develop (10-15 minutes of running)... I'll need to file that symptom away for future reference.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts