BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Six months ago I purchased a 07/2005 M5 and I have driven it about 8,000 Km, weekends/holidays only, almost no city driving.

I was using mostly P400 but in one of the longer trips, partly over unrestricted highways, I left P500 all the time and had the feeling that I was getting better mileage even with high speed trip legs.

After monitoring for 5 months it's apparent that P500 is about 1 - 1.5 liter per 100 Km better than P400, OBC reads approximately 1 liter less than consumption measured from actual fuel purchase.

Is anybody seeing the same behavior?

·
Registered
735 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
mileage difference

I just drove from NY to Miami and I did a little test. Almost no difference between P400-P500 on the highway. I have a feeling regular street driving would be different.

·
Registered
353 Posts
the only thing i see, no matter how i drive is, that stupid fuel light and "ding". lol
Now that's funny!

The other day somebody asked how's the milage on the M5. I replied that is sucks, and if I find it isn't sucking as much as it should, I may have to adjust my driving style.

Dave

·
Registered
625 Posts
I thought driving in P400 would save gas but based on research in this forum and performing my own, learned it does not. I went to San Francisco from Los Angeles on vacation and did several 60-mile stretches in P400 and P500 averaging 70mph; no difference. Now it's P500 all the time; what a rush.

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
You guys have to understand that in P400 and P500 the only difference is throttle mapping and to an extent, throttle response.

Basically, your car takes X amount of power to go 70mph on the highway. In P400, your foot might be pressing 25% but the throttle bodies only open 20%. In P500 your foot presses 20% and the throttle bodies open 20%. In the end, the throttle bodies open the same amount to produce the same amount of power to keep you going 70mph, so it doesn't matter whether you are in power mode or not.

Reactions: M5knockout

·
Registered
51 Posts
Now that's funny!

The other day somebody asked how's the milage on the M5. I replied that is sucks, and if I find it isn't sucking as much as it should, I may have to adjust my driving style.

Dave
Have to agree -- didn't buy the beast to worry about mileage. Notwithstanding the fact that would have been good if BMW had found a way to fit a bigger tank into it; seems like the only thing that slows it down is a fuel station....

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
I concur that there is no difference in MPGs. However, I rarely drive around town in P500 b/c I'm more likely to rear end someone on a hard take off or just get a speeding ticket. On the fwy, its all P500 all the time...unless I'm commuting and there is traffic. Again, don't want to rear end some honda civic in traffic...hahaha

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
Now that's funny!

Dave

I get that question all the time, and I always say that I don´t know and don´t care...I really don´t.

You should always drive in P500S, best thing there is :goldcup:

·
Registered
150 Posts
Now that's funny!

Dave
LOL........

P500 is the only way to go - and the mileage really does suck

and I love it too

I tie a brick to my right foot to make sure that pedal hits the floor

You can get 21 mpg on the highway - but why on earth would anyone want to..........LOL

·
Registered
733 Posts
P400 may be useful only in snow driving and for break-in and probably to preserve a low engine load, but otherwise it may be redundant.

·
Registered
47 Posts
If someone drives in a "normal" manner it wont matter what mode the car is in. I have spent a good deal of time in my job field with fuel managment as a UH-60 Blackhawk pilot. Since "normal" driving operation is only using a small amount of power which never approaches full open throttle/workload, mpg should not be affected and if it is it should be very minor. Really it all boils down to how aggresive you drive.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I concur that there is no difference in MPGs. However, I rarely drive around town in P500 b/c I'm more likely to rear end someone on a hard take off or just get a speeding ticket. On the fwy, its all P500 all the time...unless I'm commuting and there is traffic. Again, don't want to rear end some honda civic in traffic...hahaha
Same here. I never gave the fuel economy much thought but P500S in traffic is pretty agressive. The M button is so much fun when you don't use it all the time too.

·
Registered
319 Posts
We should drive in M mode all day long . Dont' let it go waste :biggrin:

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
I find that I burn oil faster in P500 as compared to P400. Maybe it's because I unintentionally dlrive faster or harder in P500.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I changed my fuel last week now its getting a bit dryer and tried optimax. Filled the tank and didn't think I would feel any difference. I was wrong.
I can definatly feel the power difference and my mpg has also increased. I did a average mpg reset on the motorway and it jumped to 30 mpg at 60mph. It started to drop over a few miles and settled on 21.9
I have left the average reset alone and after half a tank I am on 19.8mpg. I have not used p500 yet.
Optimax it is for me from now on.!!!!

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
I changed my fuel last week now its getting a bit dryer and tried optimax. Filled the tank and didn't think I would feel any difference. I was wrong.
I can definatly feel the power difference and my mpg has also increased. I did a average mpg reset on the motorway and it jumped to 30 mpg at 60mph. It started to drop over a few miles and settled on 21.9
I have left the average reset alone and after half a tank I am on 19.8mpg. I have not used p500 yet.
Optimax it is for me from now on.!!!!

What´s optimax? Another word for Placebo..?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts