BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been reading the great PDF download of the owners manual that was uploaded here and saw that average fuel consumption was stated at around 15-16 pmg. Other members have stated they are getting more like 11-12 mpg. Any imput?

·
Registered
537 Posts
calll me crazy but i suspect that the average M5 board member might be how should i put it.. a bit spiritied in their driving style.

Anyone want to admit they are the "Driving miss daisy" type?

·
Registered
122 Posts
hal2000 said:
calll me crazy but i suspect that the average M5 board member might be how should i put it.. a bit spiritied in their driving style.

Anyone want to admit they are the "Driving miss daisy" type?
Not guilty your honour! :nono:

·
Registered
248 Posts
AbruzziBoy said:
I've been reading the great PDF download of the owners manual that was uploaded here and saw that average fuel consumption was stated at around 15-16 pmg. Other members have stated they are getting more like 11-12 mpg. Any imput?
It would be nice to know before we pick up the car as gas price as exceeded $3/gallon for super unleaded. My current 545i with SMG gives me 22mpg(US) in the city and 31mpg (US) on the Highway. That is awsome mileage....

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
LOL... everytime I hear someone in the States complain about fuel prices I think about what they are paying overseas. The very thought makes me stop complaining immediately.

·
Registered
537 Posts
how many of us have a prius or other hybrid in our stable?

I told a friend that if he is concerned about the environment go hug a tree

·
Registered
248 Posts
vndkshn said:
LOL... everytime I hear someone in the States complain about fuel prices I think about what they are paying overseas. The very thought makes me stop complaining immediately.
Anyone buying at $90k car will not care about fuel efficiency but being cheap is a task I take seriously...:hihi:

P.S. Wait till you get your bill for home heating this year.....:sad1:

·
Registered
342 Posts
Indeed no need for complaints in US, still 6.75$ per Gallon in Netherlands

·
Registered
722 Posts
Buying a Toyota Prius or driving an E60 M5 in p400 mode at 60 mph to lower my gas bill won't remotely compare to the benefit of eventually removing two college age children from my expense ledger. For that matter, consider a comparison between today's "high cost" of gasoline to the cost of ordinary bottled drinking water. Hmmm.

Richard

·
Registered
537 Posts
I always laugh at the hollywood types (leonardo Dicarpio) who campaign against SUV's and proclaim their love for the environment by driving a Prius or other hybrid.

Anyone see the hypocrisy in complaining about SUV's and flying on a private jet which burns $2,500 +fuel and hour?

·
Registered
234 Posts
Im not expecting much as far as gas milage is concerned, as for 545i getting 22 in the city THATS AWSOME....But my current E39 will give me 13-15 in the city....I cant imagine the new M5 with a V-10 will be better.....I would be very happy if I got 13-15 in city but I imagine it would be more like 11-14 mpg.... cherrsagai

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
M5_2010 said:
Anyone buying at $90k car will not care about fuel efficiency but being cheap is a task I take seriously...:hihi:

P.S. Wait till you get your bill for home heating this year.....:sad1:
I'm not singling you out or anything, so please don't take it wrong, I just always keep it in mind before I complain that we have it pretty good in the area of gas prices. Gas prices are on my mind as well, but from a different aspect.

Can I afford $3 a gallon? Sure. Can I justify it? Sad to say, the answer is maybe. I look at how I use my cars in an average week/month situation, and I have to admit that I really don't use the power that much day to day. I have been driving a 96 Neon Sport to work as I finish getting it ready to be a gift to my brother (I feel stupid spending over $6k on the car in the last year! but that is a different story) and find in the power area, I am perfectly fine with its little 4 cylinder (except in terms of sound/buzziness). Of course, this opinion is largely caused by my commute, which when defined as stop and go, is more stop than go. But when I have to fill it with around 12 gallons a week or the cheap stuff, compared to almost 40 of the expensive in all of the other cars...

I am seriously considering getting a VW TDI as a commuter, nice enough car, great mileage. Hopefully the M3 (which I pickup Friday) will be better on gas and solve this "problem" for me. BMW needs to hurry with getting the bi-turbo diesels here.

As for home heating, no kidding, it has gotten bad already. My gas bills for SUMMER are worse than my winter bills from a couple of years ago. I am so glad I am moving to Texas...

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
So inorder to save money on gasoline you want to buy a new car? what about the cost of the car keep in mind now you have to fill 2 cars :1: I think you would be better off putting the expensive gasoline in the M5

·
Registered
703 Posts
I am getting used to pay for gas, I drive my 04 F150 pick up as a daly driver since my other daily is sold, with a 134L (35.6g) tank, about 400 miles when not pulling and 70% highway. I think I will apppreciate the M5 when it comes, same thirst but now with performance and style.

·
Registered
234 Posts
desualt said:
I am getting used to pay for gas, I drive my 04 F150 pick up as a daly driver since my other daily is sold, with a 134L (35.6g) tank, about 400 miles when not pulling and 70% highway. I think I will apppreciate the M5 when it comes, same thirst but now with performance and style.

Its a sad but very true statement, I have a 99 Ford Lightning that I use as my daily driver and this thing loves gas, I use my M5 (E39) on the weekends and it actually give better gas mileage then the Lightning....But a few weeks ago I was driving a friends 03 Audi A4 1.8T for about a week and I felt weird not going to the gas station every other day it gave awsome gas mileage 27-28 city.....Anyway u look at the picture you give up somthing for good mpg...

·
Registered
928 Posts
vndkshn said:
There isn't any point comparing fuel prices to other countries worldwide.
Who wouldn't be pissed about fuel prices doubling in a little more than a year, no matter what country you're living in?

·
Registered
722 Posts
vndkshn said:
...As for home heating, no kidding, it has gotten bad already. My gas bills for SUMMER are worse than my winter bills from a couple of years ago. I am so glad I am moving to Texas...
...where you won't believe your air conditioning bills! :hihi:

Richard

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
EBuyuk said:
So inorder to save money on gasoline you want to buy a new car? what about the cost of the car keep in mind now you have to fill 2 cars :1:
I think you need to rethink that logic... fill 2 cars? What, am I suddenly going to drive twice as much? Or I am going to drive 100 yards down the road in one car, then run back and get in the other? I have a half a dozen cars now... the cars I didn't drive to work this morning.. guess what their fuel consumption was.... Their tanks are full, I haven't filled one of them in over a month, because it hasn't been driven.

So... explain the logic to me please...
toys r' us said:
There isn't any point comparing fuel prices to other countries worldwide.
Who wouldn't be pissed about fuel prices doubling in a little more than a year, no matter what country you're living in?
Sure there is a point... while they have doubled here in the States.. how much have they gone up in other countries? So, my point.. its all relative and we shouldn't complain that much... it could be worse.
rsteele said:
...where you won't believe your air conditioning bills!
Yeah, that is a bit of a concern, but I get killed here, so I don't think it will be that much worse. It gets just as hot (and more humid) here.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Originally Posted by EBuyuk
So inorder to save money on gasoline you want to buy a new car? what about the cost of the car keep in mind now you have to fill 2 cars

"So... explain the logic to me please..."

I believe he's referring to the total costs of maintaining, insuring, and depreciation of 2 cars.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Look I didn't mean to offend you. All I was saying is that by buying a fuel efficient car, you still have to pay for the gasoline you in the car. And also the cost of maintaining, etc. I have many cars as well around the world. I just don't see the cost effectiveness of your consideration.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts