BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While in for service, my SA recommended the fuel injector cleaning. Is their cleaning done with some special machine, or is it just pouring a bottle of Techron in my tank and charging me over $200 for the labor to twist and pour?

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here is what the Service Department emailed me:

The fuel injection cleaning is done by hooking up a device directly to the injection rail after disconnecting and turning off the fuel pumps. We then run the engine while the high pressure cleaning chemicals are pumped through the injectors. After that everything is restored to normal and the engine computer is reset. I hope this answers your questions.

Has anyone had this service done? Did you note any mileage, idling or performance improvements?

·
Registered
3,246 Posts
While in for service, my SA recommended the fuel injector cleaning. Is their cleaning done with some special machine, or is it just pouring a bottle of Techron in my tank and charging me over $200 for the labor to twist and pour?
<iframe title="YouTube video player" class="youtube-player" type="text/html" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Pf6KY6rrqYU?rel=0" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="390" width="480"></iframe>
Honda does not recommend fuel injector cleaning (or engine flush or transmission flush).
Ask your SA to show you documentation that BMW recommends fuel injector cleaning :lightbulb:

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
In Ajax's unbiased opinion, your stealership most likely recommended fuel injector cleaning because it is almost pure profit for them-- especially since you did not mention any performance problems. If you are using a quality gasoline like Shell or Chevron, the injectors, intake and exhaust valves, etc. should stay clean for a long time on their own and probably never become an issue.

This is especially true since M6 owners don't tend to keep their vehicles into high mileage anyway, and we drive them hard as they are designed to be driven. Crappy gas like Cesar Chavez Citgo, or Costco with minimal additive packs will ruin engines over time; a quality brand and the cleaning agents in it will start doing their job, gradually, without doing damage to the engine. The above video was definitely an eye opener!

Again, this is only Ajax's unbiased opinion.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Many years ago when I worked in the family tire and auto service business we use to do this service all the time. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
It was amazing how the service helped rough idle and start up. <o:p></o:p>
Fuel injection was just catching on and I bet the injectors and gasoline has come a long way since then and they do not get junked up as they did way back when. Over the last ten years none of my cars have required this service. <o:p></o:p>

1 - 7 of 7 Posts