BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

61 - 80 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
This is what came out of my filter today. I got the car two months ago and this was high on the "to-do" list. Glad I did it.

·
Registered
243 Posts
just did this and at first the car kept turning off. Reopened it and realized a wire had come loose. Put it back together and now the car wont start. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Read the fault codes, please. Sounds like you are not getting fuel. Are you sure all hoses are connected and connected properly and not kinked?

The electrical wiring only measures fuel level so that would only cause an erroneous fuel level reading. There is a test for that in ISTA/D. It would be an instrument cluster fault as it connects directly to it. And there is a secondary level reading on the other side on the fuel pump so it would not necessarily cause a bad reading on the cluster, but a fault for sure.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Thanks guys. Ended up checking all fuses. They were fine. Had to jump start the car. It was throwing all sorts of low voltage and misfire codes. Troubleshooted the hell out of it. let it sit them jump started it charging the battery in the rear and ports in the front.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Depressurizing fuel line

This fuel filter replacement DIY appears to be similar to fuel pump replacement DIY on my E46 M3. To depressurize the line, I took out the fuel pump relay and cranked the engine till all fuel was used up in the lines. This way I did not have any fuel spillage. Would this help with this DIY too?

I will be replacing my fuel filter tomorrow. How do you all go about in depressurizing the fuel line?

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
This fuel filter replacement DIY appears to be similar to fuel pump replacement DIY on my E46 M3. To depressurize the line, I took out the fuel pump relay and cranked the engine till all fuel was used up in the lines. This way I did not have any fuel spillage. Would this help with this DIY too?
Don't know for sure. When I took off the hose from the filter, I just clamped a cloth around the hose to catch the very little spilling. You will spill more maneuvering the filter out of the hole with al the hose attachments and the level sensor. The filter will have considerable amounts of fuel still in it. Line the access hole with protective plastic or something like that.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Was wondering this too. I dont want to spill any fuel so I want to depressurize the lines. When I do it I will report back.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Can B767capt please contact me? I am working on a great Fuel filter that all will benefit. Just have a question. Too long to type and explain. Please someone PM him. I can't PM until In get to 45 posts....The reason I need him to call is because he opened the fuel filter up. Thanks!

V/R
Bmtroubleyou 254-five 3 five- twenty two 11

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Can B767capt please contact me? I am working on a great Fuel filter that all will benefit. Just have a question. Too long to type and explain. Please someone PM him. I can't PM until In get to 45 posts....The reason I need him to call is because he opened the fuel filter up. Thanks!

V/R
Bmtroubleyou 254-five 3 five- twenty two 11

If you type @B767capt (precede name with @ sign), that board member will get a mention notification.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
I just did this on mine. I did not have any issues with fuel shooting out of the line. Only a very small amount dribbled out. I let the car sit over night and only opened the rear door when I was about to do the job. Obviously not touching the ignition prior. Also make sure you have less then quarter tank of gas.

·
Registered
79 Posts
@767capt I can't reply to your PM (forum rule ). I know it was a while back in reference to your fuel filter taking it apart. I'll ask you here. I am about to do mines; was there another opening on the bottom of the filter besides the exit port on the bottom? Basically, is there another hole that is not the exit port to the FPR as it's integrated into the filter? What I will be doing is place a billet fuel filter with a reasonable good micron. This will allow us to clean the filter as needed. If the exit port bottom portion doesn't have anything for the FPR than it will work. Ill post once i'm done with it. Same type of filter set up I have on my turbo M3. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Hard to say as that was awhile ago and I only did it once. I'm not sure there are more holes there. Google E60 fuel filter and select image and you might get lucky and find what you're looking for.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Did my fuel filter!! Lord! You can not skip
This while doing some maintenance. I ordered some parts to work on the old set up. Ill post a mod once done.

61 - 80 of 90 Posts