BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

41 - 60 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
I tried to order from there but the item is discontinued and is replace with part #16117373525 which is more expensive and doesn't come with the level sensor. I wonder if you can reuse the old level sensor?
They emailed me and told me it was discontinued and asked if I wanted the new part which is
I just received the package. I opened it up and found the part #16117373525 and 16146750467 inside. I guess the part # 16142283196 is indeed discontinued. But they still charged me $146 for it. I'm assuming I have to reuse the original fuel level sensor

·
Registered
379 Posts
Great post! Thank you!!

·
Registered
55 Posts
I just received the package. I opened it up and found the part #16117373525 and 16146750467 inside. I guess the part # 16142283196 is indeed discontinued. But they still charged me $146 for it. I'm assuming I have to reuse the original fuel level sensor
Were you able to reuse the fuel level sensor?

·
Registered
317 Posts
I took the decision today to change out the fuel filter on my 60k mile E60 M5. I've had a niggling "reduced power" fault occurring which you could only get when in M mode and on full throttle for sustained periods. This has been showing as 27D0 (Fuel pressure adaptation) in DIS.

Removal - here in the UK I couldn't find that tool to remove the lock ring. So, I resorted to a drift and a hammer. What a b**ch it was to remove, very tight indeed! Putting it back on was easy enough however - I decided to add some silicone grease on all faces of the lock ring and it tightened up easy. The lack of any lubrication from the factory probably made it difficult to come off. On removing the fuel hoses, the fuel that came out of the filter was BLACK and gritty (!!). Unfortunately half of this ran into the tank, but luckily I had decided to run it near empty before carrying out the job, so I was able to clean the inside of the tank with clean rags before fitting the new item. Fitting was a bit fiddly as I had to swap over the sender to the new unit. It's straightforward enough once you figure out the whole setup.

On firing up the car, and taking it for a drive, it has instantly felt smoother and more responsive. I haven't given it any proper stick yet to see if the reduced power fault has cleared the fault, but on a quick blast up to 120, there was nothing.... fingers crossed.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Get the fuel filter changed today

Thanks for this great DIY, the entire process went pretty smooth. But it still took me 3 hours though, I read comments that guys only took 40 mins to get it done. That was really quick!!!

As one member did, I ordered the part #16117373525(fuel filter) and #16146750467(o-ring). That did not include the oil level sensor, hence I have to reuse the old sensor. The old sensor worked out just fine after it was hooked up with the new fuel filter.

I only left 25-mile or so gas in the tank before I started the job. Still got fair share of spill and the fuel smell will stay in the cabin for a while:hmmm

Got the engine light and reduced power error after I started the car and drove it off for a few miles. But that error did not come back again after I filled the gas tank and restarted the car 10 mins later.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Dumb question. Do our cars have one or two fuel filters? Online I see one being sold and it says (left side). Does that mean there is a right side too??
Update, nevermind. I see the instructions say driver side only

·
Registered
312 Posts
ImageUploadedByAutoGuide1419442420.139455.jpg
ImageUploadedByAutoGuide1419442455.221982.jpg

Cut open the old filter... Picture tells you everything 150 000km never changed in my opinion...

I am going to change the fuel pump at the same time.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I did this fuel filter change yesterday and want to add a few things that I don't believe have been mentioned:
1. There is enough slack on all the fuel lines for you to get the entire filter out of the opening without disconnecting anything first. I didn't realize this at first and was trying to reach into the tank and disconnect the fuel lines and was having a very hard time with this. Make sure the arm on the fuel level sensor doesn't get tangled in the fuel lines on removal and installation.
2. It seemed to me the best way to remove the fuel lines was to press the connection together slightly then pinch the tabs on the sides to release then pull the connection apart.
3. The metal ring on the bottom of the filter is very sharp and will slice your hands quite easily especially if you don't realize item number 1 and are trying to reach into the tank to remove the fuel lines.
4. I purchased part number 16142283196 (found it at bavauto for about $185) and it came with a new o-ring but no fuel level sensor (it was not very hard to remove the old sensor and put it on the new unit).

I will cut the old filter open when I have a chance and post a picture for those that are curious about what a fuel filter with 146K miles (235 km to the rest of the world) will look like.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Borrow: Fuel filter locking ring removal tool

Anybody have the proper fuel filter locking ring removal tool that I may borrow. I will pay for shipping back and forward.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Mission Accomplished

Mission accomplished in about 1 hour. However, it must agree that it is the most annoying job I ever did on the M5. All these little fragile parts that don't really want to come off easily, especially the level sensor assembly while having my head hanging in the gasoline fumes and my wife complaining about it from upstairs downright sucked. But we got it done, no lights after some priming cycles. Smooth as butter. I actually think the old filter was still in a good condition. But I am not prying it open. That is enough fumes for today. LOL!

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Smoother

So, a quick update: I had 68k on my car at the time of the filter swap. After the filter swap I noticed the car runs subtlety smoother. Completely unexpected as the old filter did not seem that dirty (albeit that I did not open it up) and because it is a so called "lifetime" part. Especially when at cold, I noticed some very slight judder around 3k RPMs but that is gone after this swap. But it is smoother in general across the power band. Very surprising.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Hrmmm, i get a different PN than original posted for 06 M5 Fuel Filter: 16117373514 am I missing something here?

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Hrmmm, i get a different PN than original posted for 06 M5 Fuel Filter: 16117373514 am I missing something here?
I ordered 16117373525 for my MT6 2008. I just checked and indeed it appears to be different for a 2006: 16117373514. It must be a pre-post LCI difference.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Just executed this maintenance...no issues.

Car filter is original with 72,000 miles.

I used the tool listed above...twisted right off...didn't even spill any fuel!

I also hit the Start button 3 times before actually starting the car (removed the key each time) hoping to prime the fuel lines before starting the engine. No warning and fired up.

Also ran it thru the gears to see if I plugged a fuel injector as has been mentioned in other posts...V-10 still purrs!

Nice to save a few dollars...took me a bit to figure out how to pop off the lines though...(squeeze the little tabs!)

Thanks <!-- google_ad_section_start(weight=ignore) -->mdyaman<!-- google_ad_section_end -->.

41 - 60 of 90 Posts