BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It was beautiful in NW NJ yesterday so I did a thorough wash of my 2001 Beast. While drying, I opened the fuel filler door and noticed that water pooled there and there was a small rust and paint bubble at the lower hinge area.:(

Has anybody else experienced this problem, is it covered under the rust warranty and finally if not, is there any way I can stop it?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
105 Posts
Ops ,I have the same rust problem on the same place :(
maybe we should ask our dealers couse warranty for rust should be 7 years (I think):rolleyes:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
iMac said:
Ops ,I have the same rust problem on the same place :(
maybe we should ask our dealers couse warranty for rust should be 7 years (I think):rolleyes:
Mine's in for service today and I asked the question. I got a quizzical look and a "We'll look into that".

I'll know later today.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's taken about two months. At first, the SA said I'd have to have the car examined to see if there had been any paint repair work. I guess they were going to check the paint thickness. She did admit that it's a problem area.

Yesterday, she called and said that BMW would fix it without first inspecting the car. :)

I'm taking it in the first of August so I'll show before and after pictures.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
FredW said:
It's taken about two months. At first, the SA said I'd have to have the car examined to see if there had been any paint repair work. I guess they were going to check the paint thickness. She did admit that it's a problem area.

Yesterday, she called and said that BMW would fix it without first inspecting the car. :)

I'm taking it in the first of August so I'll show before and after pictures.
Got the car back. Here's the pictures.

I guess I didn't upload the pictures. Don't know what I did wrong.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,446 Posts
I was going to ask something related to this.

Is the fuel cap area doesn't have drainage...?
I find this hard to believe on E39 design. I don't remember how it was on E36 3 series (as I used to own E36), but on my 97 Mercedes it has drainage so that it won't pocket water.

I suspected because it pockets water which lead to rust...


Regardz,

J Irwan
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
J Irwan said:
I was going to ask something related to this.

Is the fuel cap area doesn't have drainage...?
I find this hard to believe on E39 design. I don't remember how it was on E36 3 series (as I used to own E36), but on my 97 Mercedes it has drainage so that it won't pocket water.

I suspected because it pockets water which lead to rust...


Regardz,

J Irwan
There is no drain hole. I had an E34 (?) 540i Sport, but had no problems at all. I suspect that the E39 is mostly a northern climate problem
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
FredW said:
Got the car back. Here's the pictures.

I guess I didn't upload the pictures. Don't know what I did wrong.
Thanks to the thread on uploading, I think I got them
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
484 Posts
Davido164 said:
http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=55570

I posted this in June. All fixed under bodywork warranty. Known problem apparently with the E39.

Perhaps my dealer was just eager for the warranty work though!:haha2:
I have the same problem and will be taking her in as soon as I get home.
Thanks for sharing.

Does anyone know if this 7 year warranty is transferrable?
I am the second owner.

Salty.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
43 Posts
Had the same problem with my 9/99 build car that was fixed under warranty. It appears to be a problem on the seam between the body and the filler "casing"

Regards
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Salty said:
I have the same problem and will be taking her in as soon as I get home.
Thanks for sharing.

Does anyone know if this 7 year warranty is transferrable?
I am the second owner.

Salty.
I am the second owner also so I can't see why it wouldn't be.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
484 Posts
FredW said:
I am the second owner also so I can't see why it wouldn't be.
Thanks Fred.

That's quite the list of vehicles.
You must have a big garage! :haha2:

Salty
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
130 Posts
Drain hole

I had / have the same problem and guess what there is a drain hole its under the fuel flap hinge but its been filled inn at the factory with sealing paste !!!!! So thinks i, seems like a good to job clean that there hole out, so picked out the paste, touched up the paint chips left by my hammer and chisel and blow me, all the water drained away, yippee ! success or so i thought ? After a few weeks opened the left boot compartment hatch flap thing and its full of water, odd ? after more investigation turns out to be the fuel flap drain, the water runs into the panel gap between inner and outer body panel around the wheel arch and depending on the angle of the car does the water run forward or backwards? i have removed the inner plastic arch checked for another drain but the body form can be seen as to were the water will flow! So the best advise i can give is

LEAVE THE HOLE BLOCKED UP :wroom:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
223 Posts
I had / have the same problem and guess what there is a drain hole its under the fuel flap hinge but its been filled inn at the factory with sealing paste !!!!! So thinks i, seems like a good to job clean that there hole out, so picked out the paste, touched up the paint chips left by my hammer and chisel and blow me, all the water drained away, yippee ! success or so i thought ? After a few weeks opened the left boot compartment hatch flap thing and its full of water, odd ? after more investigation turns out to be the fuel flap drain, the water runs into the panel gap between inner and outer body panel around the wheel arch and depending on the angle of the car does the water run forward or backwards? i have removed the inner plastic arch checked for another drain but the body form can be seen as to were the water will flow! So the best advise i can give is

LEAVE THE HOLE BLOCKED UP :wroom:
There is no drain hole. Sounds like someone drilled a hole, then found it filled the boot. They then filled it, then you picked out the paste..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
46 Posts
This is what happens when left untreated for 14 years...

The 3 prior owners on my car must have seen this problem but ignored it (part of why I got it so cheap; see photo below!)

:crying:

I'm sure my local body-shop will fix it, and using the tip from "saturnuranus" about using some filler so that it always flows out is what I'll have my body-shop do.
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,632 Posts
Mine had the same issue. My body shop cleaned it up, applied POR15 and repainted they also fixed the corrosion around the license plate lights and the lower corner of the boot lid. If you're going to get the filler fixed check thearea around the license plate lamps as this is a common location for corrosion. IIRC, it was about $600.
 
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Top