BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Aloha. I live in Hawaii and am trying to make the best of the crappy gas down here. No matter where i've gotten gas here, it always seems to be crappy, and I always use premium. I've been recommended by a few folks to get a fuel additive at least every other if not every time I fill up due to humidity. I've been told that water residue can build up in the engine from the intake of humid air and cause problems from moisture build up. Is this true? I plan on changing my oil twice a year and only will drive an estimated 2,000 miles a year. Another problem I have is being in stop and go traffic every time I drive. Does anyone have a recommendation?

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Anybody?

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Here are some endorsements for Sta-Bil taken from their website, it appears it is not only for storage but to keep the current ethanol blended gasolines stabil(I have read reports of that due the afinity ethanol has for water, the mixture creates a gel like substance that fouls fuel systems along with the corroding effects of water).

STA-BIL Brand Ethanol Treatment, Fuel Stabilizer, Small Engine Storage

"STA-BIL Protection: Prevents Ethanol fuel related damage in your gasoline vehicle or small engines. Prevents corrosion, helps remove water, and cleans fuel injectors and carburetors for improved year-round performance."

STA-BIL® 360° Protection Ethanol Fuel Treatment & Stablizer

"Recommended for use AT EVERY FILL UP to ensure continuous protection against the effects of Ethanol blended fuels. Safe for use in ALL gasoline engines, including 2-cycle. Product does not contain alcohol."

MARQUIS YACHTS
"Since incorporating STA-BIL® ...we have not experienced any problems due to fuel degradation"

“…Since incorporating STA-BIL® in our quality control and shipping process we have not experienced any problems attributed to fuel degradation or fuel system complications. We recommend to our dealers and customers to continue using STA-BIL® not only during winter lay-up but as an ongoing fuel additive to maintain their engines and generator’s fuel system.”

Dick Nocenti
Director – Marketing Communications

TIARA YACHTS, INC.
"used STA-BIL® for years with great satisfaction."

"We install STA-BIL® to the fuel system of our gasoline powered boats. Additionally we recommend to ourcustomers the use of STA-BIL® in their boats for every gasoline and ethanol blended fuel fill up. We highlyrecommend use of STA-BIL® as part of normal product storage preparations.
I have personally used STA-BIL® for years with great satisfaction. I have had great performance of the equipment I use STA-BIL® in and have had no adverse effects."

Adam Rolinski
Manager, New Product Development

·
Registered
185 Posts
EFS COMBUST This stuffs liquid magic! Highly recommended!

·
Registered
9 Posts
The problem is caused by ethanol in fuel being Hydroscopic. As the fuels splashed around it absorbs all the moisture in the air. Boaters are having a real problem the ethanol laden fuel. There are two products that will prevent the phase separation, One is Sta-Bil The other is EFS Combust. Sta-Bil is well known and EFS Combust is new. EFS Combust is a performance product that increases Octane to 98 and increased the burn efficiency of fuel, but has a side benefit of preventing the water problem.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I remember using some "additive" or some derivative "stabilizer" in my lawn mower and snow blower one year for seasonal storage. The next season I had to replace both carburetors...gummed them up. Will never use it again.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Aloha, Engineer. (I've moved here from Maui)

I highly recommend using only Chevron or Shell or Exxon 93 octane fuel for your car. You don't need a fuel additive for humidity, but you might want to add one for achieving higher octane, to which your car will respond very well. You might consider adding Toluene, available at Sherwin Williams paint stores in 5 gallon cans. It has an octane of 114. A 10% mixture with your 93 octane will give you ~95 octane. 20% will give you 97, etc.

The "moisture building up in the engine" has to do with the OIL, caused by your short drives, and not getting the engine fully warmed up. This is a valid issue, which you can combat by driving your car around the island once a week, (Speaking of which, what island are you on?) Try to exercise the car when you can....Oahu, Maui, and the big island all have autocross events (SCCA), which will enable you to keep your license and still have a bit of fun . Of course, if you live on Maui, a drive up Haleakala will also serve the purpose!

BG44k and Techron, and Liqui-Moly Jectron are all excellent products. The EFS Combust smells like snake-oil to me -- even their own website disagrees with itself, on mix ratios. And octane is very strictly a percentage ratio, too, like the Toluene equation, above. THAT SAID: I've just ordered a bottle of EFS Combust, and will test it at VIR in my old E34 M5 when I instruct there, next week...... Because it was twenty bucks, a fair bit less than the 5 gallons of toluene I'll also be taking to the track, for side by side comparisons. (Hey, I've been wrong before, maybe I'll learn something about snake oil)

All the best, and with greatest Aloha,
Chris

·
Registered
354 Posts
If you're looking to raise the octane of the fuels your using, I've used BOOSTANE. It raises 15 gallons of 93 to 102 octane.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts