BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Before I throw these up for auction, figured I'd find some interest here. With respect to past sales on used 01+ headlights, I'm looking for $600 OBO + shipping. My eBay ID: krell7423 (150+ feedback; 100% positive).

Driver Side
  • Lens was removed, wet-sanded and polished. High-temp silicon used to re-seat. Does not fog/condensate.
  • Both plastic adjusters replaced with CA Automotive's high quality metal adjusters. Retail price: $60 + shipping.
  • Silver chrome turn indicator bulb ($15 value).
  • D2S bulb not included.
Passenger Side
  • Lens shows some pitting (see pics).
  • Silver chrome turn indicator bulb ($15 value).
  • D2S bulb not included.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks for the interest

Correct - as stated, no ballast or bulbs.

The previously sold units referenced (eBay, etc.) do not include ballasts, either @ a $600 price point. Replacement Philips D2S bulbs may be had for $55 shipped (again, eBay).

With many board members no stranger to broken plastic adjusters, I assumed the rather rare ($60 + shipping from UK) metal replacement adjusters would easily entice.

Willing to entertain offers ...

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
Can that orange corner piece be replaced for a euro clear piece?
I've heard of someone taking the orange piece and wrapping in a clear reflective adhesive film that gives it the appearance of a euro headlight, found at a local parts store.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I've heard of someone taking the orange piece and wrapping in a clear reflective adhesive film that gives it the appearance of a euro headlight, found at a local parts store.
Do you think this would really work? I've been thinking about rebuilding mine with metal adjusters because the drivers side has broke inside...

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
Do you think this would really work? I've been thinking about rebuilding mine with metal adjusters because the drivers side has broke inside...

I didn't see any pictures but the person who did it sounded very happy by achieving identical results as the super-expensive Hella Euro lights but only spending about $10 on the film and a few hours of time on labor. I want to try doing this as well and I have already purchased the film, but have not had the time to do this. I also need to replace my adjusters with metal ones, my driver's side is not functioning. Hopefully it's an easy task.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I didn't see any pictures but the person who did it sounded very happy by achieving identical results as the super-expensive Hella Euro lights but only spending about $10 on the film and a few hours of time on labor. I want to try doing this as well and I have already purchased the film, but have not had the time to do this. I also need to replace my adjusters with metal ones, my driver's side is not functioning. Hopefully it's an easy task.
Can you give me more details on this film? I still can't picture it..

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
It pretty much looks very similar to the clear corner reflectors, only I couldn't find that exact pattern so I went with a different pattern, same effect but it will stand out from all the e39s with the oem euro headlights. I will take a pic of the film and post it here.

·
Banned
64 Posts
It pretty much looks very similar to the clear corner reflectors, only I couldn't find that exact pattern so I went with a different pattern, same effect but it will stand out from all the e39s with the oem euro headlights. I will take a pic of the film and post it here.
ya please post this, i'd like to see it as well

·
Registered
113 Posts

Couldn't you get some type of vinyl and match the color of your car or black or silver?? Hmmm..... Ideas?

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
Couldn't you get some type of vinyl and match the color of your car or black or silver?? Hmmm..... Ideas?
The problem with color matching vinyl is that most vinyl films are not reflective or barely reflective and I considered vinyl as well but I decided against any material that doesn't reflect because I don't want to lose the front reflectors, I think they an important saftey feature not to mention most likely a legal necessity. Here is a guide on how to remove the headlights:
http://www.bmwdiy.info/non-celis-front/index.html
And here is some tips on how to take apart the headlamps, I found this very useful for the clear corners but it can also be used for other projects as well: http://www.jlevisw.com/Bake.pdf
Below are the front and back pics of the film I plan on using, it might not be the best clear corner material but it is the closest match I could find in my local area...

Attachments

Reactions: colbywan

·
Registered
53 Posts
My mom said I can't have these lights : - (

1 - 20 of 27 Posts