BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
If it looks too good to be true... It's probably a scam!!!

There was a 2004 645 for sale on Roadfly a couple of months ago... for $19k. I teased the guy for a few emails, making him think I was actually interested, knowing **** well that it was a scam. He claimed the car was overseas, and he'd ship it to me once I sent a deposit to his bank in England. Uh... yeah. Right.

That particular car (he sent me the VIN) was actually sitting on a Dealer's lot on the East Coast.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I've traded a few E-Mails with this "owner". His "company" transferred him to London, so he says.

His recommended path is this: Write a cashiers check for the full amount of the car. Fax him a COPY of this cashiers check that he can take to the bank and verify. Once verified, he will have the car shipped to the buyer. The buyer then has 3 days to inspect and accept/reject the car.

I have forwarded his E-Mail and IP address to craigslist. Both his NY and LA posts on craigslist have now been deleted.

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
We should set up a sting and kneecap this guy....

I ran into 5 or 6 scams when I was looking- yahoo autos was the worst.

anyway, I wonder if any law enforcement would bother with a sting.....

·
Registered
3 Posts
M-Fünf said:
I've traded a few E-Mails with this "owner". His "company" transferred him to London, so he says.

His recommended path is this: Write a cashiers check for the full amount of the car. Fax him a COPY of this cashiers check that he can take to the bank and verify. Once verified, he will have the car shipped to the buyer. The buyer then has 3 days to inspect and accept/reject the car.

I have forwarded his E-Mail and IP address to craigslist. Both his NY and LA posts on craigslist have now been deleted.
Hi, pardon my ignorance, but how does he use a copy of a cashier's check to scam anyone? He can't draw funds from a copy, right? I've heard of the scam where they ask you to send funds over the purchase price, promising to send back cash, but this is a new one I can't figure out.

·
Registered
416 Posts
He asked me to send 25% once I have confirmation from the shipping company that the car is on the way. Says its refundable if I don't like car when it arrives. I told him I'd just go pick up the car myself :hihi: and save him the money of shipping it. He since stopped responding.

androidx42 said:
Hi, pardon my ignorance, but how does he use a copy of a cashier's check to scam anyone? He can't draw funds from a copy, right? I've heard of the scam where they ask you to send funds over the purchase price, promising to send back cash, but this is a new one I can't figure out.

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
androidx42 said:
They just re-print the check! It takes weeks for the paper to get back to the issuing bank, but all the numbers are good. Indeed, it may never be caught until you go to turn the real check back in...

·
Registered
3 Posts
ard said:
They just re-print the check! It takes weeks for the paper to get back to the issuing bank, but all the numbers are good. Indeed, it may never be caught until you go to turn the real check back in...
Wow, I had no idea you could do that, thanks for the info--I guess I should just buy from people off these boards, or use a reputable escrow service. I'm really hoping to become an M5 owner in the near future, right now I'm just looking for that perfect opportunity. Thanks again Ard--I'm in the Bay Area, so if you hear anything that looks good, please feel free to contact me.

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
androidx42 said:
Wow, I had no idea you could do that, thanks for the info--I guess I should just buy from people off these boards, or use a reputable escrow service. I'm really hoping to become an M5 owner in the near future, right now I'm just looking for that perfect opportunity. Thanks again Ard--I'm in the Bay Area, so if you hear anything that looks good, please feel free to contact me.
It is really very, very simple!

Talk with the seller.
Agree on a price subject to inspection.
FLY THERE AND LOOK AT THE CAR.
get it inspected.
Hand him a cashiers check or call the bank and wire transfer
Drive it home OR drive it to a car shipper (NOT HIS SHIPPER)

One scam was for a seller to have a shipper in on the scam- buyer would wait until the shipper called and said 'we have it', then they would wire transfer. Money gone.

Same deal with phony escrow companies..

Why not use a BMW dealer as an 'escrow'? They can inspect, and, if you talk to the right people, maybe even slap a cpo on it...

A

PS What are you looking for?

·
Registered
3 Posts
ard said:
PS What are you looking for?
Ideally, a 2001-2002 M5 that has been really taken care of, like most of the posters here do, with no history of problems. Normal mileage is okay, so is higher mileage if there have been no real problems and the price reflects that. I don't really care about options, would probably prefer a stock M5. Exterior colors are flexible, silver, anthracite, black, le mans blue, all good. I think I prefer a single color interior, but that's not a big deal. All in all, I'm looking for a nicely kept and running M5, at a price that makes sense to both me and the seller. I imagine I will be looking for quite some time, but I'm sure it will be worth it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts