BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The SMG in my former e60 2008 M5 was replaced under an extended warranty. I have the complete SMG in a box in my garage. Would be great for a core for someone.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Do you know if there was Any particular parts that were ever replaced or updated in any part of that SMG unit and are likely still in good condition?

i just know dealers always replace a bunch of things while they troubleshoot before they decide to completely replace the entire SMG... or anytime before that.

In case you wanted to part out things like the slave cylinder, Position sensor, hydraulic motor, wire harness, accumulator, etc... :)

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
As far as I know nothing had been replaced until the whole unit was replaced by the warranty company.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
As far as I know it's the entire SMG unit including everything that would come with the replacement unit. The replacement unit was around $6500 from BMW. I can take pictures if you can tell by the pictures

·
Registered
85 Posts
how long ago did you replace your smg unit? thats awful a lot of money for a replacement. I bet if the dealer diagnosed the issue further, they could found the issue is much simpler such as maybe sealing issue as in $30 in part.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The part # of the unit is 21542282998 listed as BMW Clutch Hydraulic Unit with Pressure Accumulator - 21542282998 - Genuine BMW. It does appear to have the pressure sensor. I have both "pieces" and the box it came in.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
how long ago did you replace your smg unit? thats awful a lot of money for a replacement. I bet if the dealer diagnosed the issue further, they could found the issue is much simpler such as maybe sealing issue as in $30 in part.
It was replaced by an aftermarket exclusionary extended warranty by my Indy. It was close to the beginning of last year or late 2018.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Please keep in mind as this unit was replaced, something was faulty. I'm not selling this as a used working SMG, rather anyone that might need it for a core or a rebuild if possible. The entire unit was replaced by my warranty.

·
Registered
85 Posts
it does appear to have the pressure sensor.

how much would you like for the pressure sensor, per se?

and curious how much would you like for the entire unit?

The part # of the unit is 21542282998 listed as BMW Clutch Hydraulic Unit with Pressure Accumulator - 21542282998 - Genuine BMW. It does appear to have the pressure sensor. I have both "pieces" and the box it came in.
View attachment 939297

View attachment 939298 View attachment 939299 View attachment 939300 View attachment 939301 View attachment 939303
ap

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Do you know if there was Any particular parts that were ever replaced or updated in any part of that SMG unit and are likely still in good condition?

i just know dealers always replace a bunch of things while they troubleshoot before they decide to completely replace the entire SMG... or anytime before that.

In case you wanted to part out things like the slave cylinder, Position sensor, hydraulic motor, wire harness, accumulator, etc... :)
I don't know that's true anymore. Maybe depends on who's paying for it. Mine was covered by a very good exclusionary warranty and it seems like I was told they only replace the entire unit in most cases.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Don't want to part it out, rather sell the whole thing to get it out of my garage. Make an offer, I know at one time a few members were looking for cores. Shipping definitely needs to be covered obviously, but I'm not trying to make money, just something that is fair.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Don't want to part it out, rather sell the whole thing to get it out of my garage. Make an offer, I know at one time a few members were looking for cores. Shipping definitely needs to be covered obviously, but I'm not trying to make money, just something that is fair.
I understand. I see this more of a risky purchase with so much of uncertainty as to what the problems might be, while I am fairly certain some parts are still in a good working order unless of course the unit was sunk at the bottom of a river. At this time, I can only offer $200 for the entire unit.

Thank you for understanding

·
Registered
260 Posts
TurboDave

Any info to share on what the codes or driving issues were that led to this warranty replacement. It would help provide info as to the potential state of the full SMG unit and a key item that I would want to know before making an offer.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
TurboDave

Any info to share on what the codes or driving issues were that led to this warranty replacement. It would help provide info as to the potential state of the full SMG unit and a key item that I would want to know before making an offer.
I looked back through my paperwork and it appears that the two codes that showed up were 4F42 and 4F43

·
Registered
85 Posts
I really hate this 4F43 code. 4F43 code means that the SMG unit frequently trying to build pressure in the unit which is not normal. so what happened is the SMG computer module received a signal that the system constantly trying to build pressure which exceed threshold so the SMG computer cited that there might be a external or internal leak in the hydraulic assembly , or failed/failing motor pump or failed accumulator or failed pressure sensor or hydraulic pump failed or perhaps failed hydraulic relay, these of which what can caused the 4F43 code to prompted

This code is basically throwing parts at it to see what actually the problem is with the expectations of o-rings or seal because you can check to see if the o-rings are ok for the all solenoids other than that it's more of throwing parts to see what contributed this issue.

4F43 is a headache code and can be expensive to correct it unless you are lucky picking the correct part the first time around.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I really hate this 4F43 code. 4F43 code means that the SMG unit frequently trying to build pressure in the unit which is not normal. so what happened is the SMG computer module received a signal that the system constantly trying to build pressure which exceed threshold so the SMG computer cited that there might be a external or internal leak in the hydraulic assembly , or failed/failing motor pump or failed accumulator or failed pressure sensor or hydraulic pump failed or perhaps failed hydraulic relay, these of which what can caused the 4F43 code to prompted

This code is basically throwing parts at it to see what actually the problem is with the expectations of o-rings or seal because you can check to see if the o-rings are ok for the all solenoids other than that it's more of throwing parts to see what contributed this issue.

4F43 is a headache code and can be expensive to correct it unless you are lucky picking the correct part the first time around.
I guess that's why the whole unit was replaced instead of chasing the problem with components.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts