BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Dinan 3.45 diff for sale. I bought a Dinan M5 and I'm going to go with 3.62 gears from the e46 m3 along with the ess s/c (if you look at the dyno you'll see why I'm going with 3.62 gears) .. This diff is an absolutely awesome mod for the e39 m5. The 3.15 gears are way too long. This was intalled at a Dinan Certified BMW dealership and I have all the paperwork for it.

Attachments

·
Registered
632 Posts
Dinan sells this diff for $1999. At $2600 what is different with your set-up?

Reactions: twiggym5

·
Registered
122 Posts
Hi,
sorry for the off topic in your thread but I must ask you sth.
What,s the difference between the 3.15 and 3.62 diff.
I have a M6 3.62 in my M5 rk s2 but unfortunately I didn't have the chance to check it on the dyno after the mod.
The car is much more powerful on the 3 and 4 gear but i didn't realize it would come out on the dyno.
Regards

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
jsdm5

that's without core charge as rennteknik pointed out

dinan will charge you the full price and once you get the diff from them you are going to have to send your stock diff back to them (and pay for shipping and the thing gets hit with the o/s fee fee from fedex so your talking about 150 shipping and giving them your stock diff and they have the right to reject your diff if anything is wrong).

im selling the diff with no core charge meaning you pay 2600+shipping and you can sell your stock diff for 550-600 dollars.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi,
sorry for the off topic in your thread but I must ask you sth.
What,s the difference between the 3.15 and 3.62 diff.
I have a M6 3.62 in my M5 rk s2 but unfortunately I didn't have the chance to check it on the dyno after the mod.
The car is much more powerful on the 3 and 4 gear but i didn't realize it would come out on the dyno.
Regards
The difference between the stock 3.15 gears and the 3.45 or a 3.62 is the stock gears are longer meaning with the 3.45 and 3.62 diff your going to get to redline faster... on a stock m5 i'd recommend the dinan 3.45 diff because with a 3.62 diff your going to lose out on torque... i want to get the ess s/c and if you look at the dyno on their site for their supercharger you will see the torque is flat through the entire powerband where as the horsepower is up top

I'm not sure what you mean by having a 3.62 diff from an M6 the gears I got are from an E46 m3 which has 3.62 gears
I don't know what an rk s2 is

·
Registered
632 Posts
jsdm5

that's without core charge as rennteknik pointed out

dinan will charge you the full price and once you get the diff from them you are going to have to send your stock diff back to them (and pay for shipping and the thing gets hit with the o/s fee fee from fedex so your talking about 150 shipping and giving them your stock diff and they have the right to reject your diff if anything is wrong).

im selling the diff with no core charge meaning you pay 2600+shipping and you can sell your stock diff for 550-600 dollars.

Okay I see your point here if the diff in your M5 is bad or essentially a no good core. I was just looking at it from a swap out perspective a good 3:15 to a new 3:45 Dinan diff.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Okay I see your point here if the diff in your M5 is bad or essentially a no good core. I was just looking at it from a swap out perspective a good 3:15 to a new 3:45 Dinan diff.
i don't know if your fully grasping it... your getting caught up on if your diff is bad or good...

if you do the swap out perspective of a good 3:15 to a new 3:45 dinan your talking about 2000 + shipping and around 150 to send them your diff after they send you a new dinan 3.45 ... so your looking at around 2300 and thats assuming dinan isnt required to collect sales tax in TX where they have a presence in every state

if you get mine your looking at 2600 which is obo + 150 = 2750 - selling your diff for 550-600 perhaps even more depending on the mileage so 2100-2150.

thats also assuming dinan doesnt knock anything off the full core charge ... also dinan always had this priced at 2699 + 1800 core that's always been their price so I don't know if that's a special they're running... i only realized it after the fact... my price is obo im not firm at 2600

·
Registered
12,890 Posts
on a stock m5 i'd recommend the dinan 3.45 diff because with a 3.62 diff your going to lose out on torque...
I don't want to clutter up your For Sale thread (so take this as a free bump!), but I don't understand the highlighted phrase. The deeper the gears, the more torque multiplication in a given gear. You will get to redline faster in each gear, although your speed at redline will be less in each gear.

GLWS.

Regards,
Jerry

Reactions: herrubermensch

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Jerry

I attached the dyno for the ESS e39 m5 s/c which im interested in getting... if your M5 is stock and your going with a 3.62 yes your going to hit redline faster but look at the dyno for the ess it has the stock baselines too and you can see that up top stock there's a drop off in torque up top. If you look at the ESS S/C the torque curve is flat throughout yet whp skyrockets

Attachments

·
Registered
843 Posts
3.62 and supercharged? Yikes. Also, a diff will not give you more power.

GLWS though, Dinan diffs are very nice.

·
Registered
122 Posts
The difference between the stock 3.15 gears and the 3.45 or a 3.62 is the stock gears are longer meaning with the 3.45 and 3.62 diff your going to get to redline faster... on a stock m5 i'd recommend the dinan 3.45 diff because with a 3.62 diff your going to lose out on torque... i want to get the ess s/c and if you look at the dyno on their site for their supercharger you will see the torque is flat through the entire powerband where as the horsepower is up top

I'm not sure what you mean by having a 3.62 diff from an M6 the gears I got are from an E46 m3 which has 3.62 gears
I don't know what an rk s2 is
I know the rule and difference between the short and long gear ratio but
thanks for the reminder.:blink:
The M6 diff is 3.62 and you can instal it yourself in a garage on an e39
M5.
You just switch the rear lid for the one in M5 e39 and put new bolts to
connect the shaft with the diff.
Then you have a 3.62 in M5 e39 as simple as that.
M5 RK s2 is a s/c set from RK autowerks.

I thought you have charts of the supercharged M5 with 3.15 i 3.62 gears to
compare and see how the change affects power and torque.:3:
Regards

·
Registered
12,890 Posts
I thought you have charts of the supercharged M5 with 3.15 i 3.62 gears to
compare and see how the change affects power and torque.:3:
Regards
The diff has NO IMPACT on power. It will not increase engine torque. Deeper gears WILL increase the leveraged torque at the rear wheels. While every set of rear gears is a compromise, at some point you can have too much rear gear to have any advantage.

Lots of discussions over the years on pros and cons of different gearing. Do some searching, good reading available.

Another free bump!!

Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
ya i never said a diff is going to give more power.... anyways can we kind of get back on the sale of my diff this has kind of sidetracked things i only put my future plans up for the inevitable question why are you getting rid of it

1 - 16 of 16 Posts