BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Maggie's story:<O:p</O:p
<O:p</O:p

Maggie was purchased on the European delivery program by a wealthy land developer and driven to his house in <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com
</st1:country-region>France where she was kept for the first 6 months. Later she was shipped home to his 18,000 square foot home in the Broadmoor to join his stable of 6 other BMW's including a Z8. He is a close friend of the owner of Winslow BMW and quite wealthy.

The car was kept in excellent condition with all service performed at Winslow BMW and all service records available.<O:p</O:p

After I acquired the car last April I immediately changed the spark plugs, valve cover gasket, micro filters, air filters and had the clutch replaced. The valve cover leak is a pretty common problem in these cars. I have also had all fluids replaced in the transmission, differential, power steering and engine oil.<O:p</O:p

The service I had done was performed by Mondino Imports in <st1:City w:st="on">Colorado Springs</st1:City> - they were consistently about 1/3 less than the dealer's quote for service. Whenever you visit the Mondino shop you are treated to Ferraris, lotuses, Maseratis, etc...they know high performance European cars and did excellent work.
</O:p
She was mostly stock when I got her except for an integrated K40 radar detector system. I have added the DICE iPod interface and the factory BMW Bluetooth system...this alone cost me $800...I wasn't planning to sell her at the time.

<O:p</O:pIn the warmer months she would get washed every Saturday morning with regular wax touch ups and baby wipes to keep the engine nice and clean. The first weekend of the month after the wash she would get a complete system check including tread depth, oil level, power steering level, air filter check and cleaning, etc. My kids complain that I spend more time with her than them. BTW - she burns no oil at all during normal use. The only time she used oil was during a Colorado M drive. I added 3/4 of a quart after that and that is all I have had to put in.

<O:p</O:pCurrently she has 62,785 miles on her and the drive puts a smile on your face every damn time. A colleague in my office got so sick of me having all the fun that he bought his own a few months back. We both agree that it adds joy to our lives every day we drive them.

<O:p</O:pI drove her all winter long with a set of winter tires mounted on a separate set of rims which you can have as part of the deal if you are interested. They worked like a champ. This is my daily driver so I can vouch for her ability to handle the snow and ice.

<O:p</O:pI was hoping to keep her until she died of old age which should be somewhere over 200k miles but I have decided to move to <st1:City w:st="on"><ST1:pLondon</st1:City> for work. They tax vehicles based on the engine size here and insurance goes up with horsepower. The roads here are also incredibly narrow and suited only to the funny European micro cars...I had my first accident in 20 years over here this week...it was very minor. With the cost of fuel over here and all the other factors I just made the decision to sell her.

<O:p</O:pShe is a MY2000 and was manufactured 6/2000.<O:p</O:p

I paid $32,000 last year and have since replaced the clutch ($1300), added Bluetooth ($800), DICE interface (~$300), all fluids changed (~$450)...at this point she doesn't need anything except the toys you want to buy her.

I'm asking $29,900.

<O:p</O:pThe only issue she has is the rock chips that go along with life in <st1:State w:st="on">Colorado</st1:State>. She had them when I got her so it was too late to add a clear bra. The next money I spent on her was going to fix that up.

Let me know if you are interested or have any questions.

Cheers,

Knave

·
Banned
156 Posts
too much man. Not to hurt your thread but look at the average price of these things. Look on ebay how much people are asking and how many 2000 M5's sold on ebay for more than 22K with less miles than yours. The kkb value on your car with 62K miles on it in excellent condition (benefit of the doubt) is 27K. Most people wont make away with the price kbb states for an excellent condition car so I waould generally take off about 8%. This car should be listed for 25-26 strong.
Good luck
T

·
Registered
66 Posts
Bad form Haha Bye. Not sure why you would post as you did on this thread. If you are an interested buyer and trying to negotiate the price, you should contact the seller directly. That would be much better than trashing this thread from the sellers perspective. As we all know, the condition of used cars varies greatly and a the cost of repairs can easily run in the thousands.

-Scott

·
Registered
907 Posts
Knave....Well written post by the way...nice read

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Bad form Haha Bye.
Ditto. If I recall correctly, your car is also for sale HHB. How would you like it if I posted to your for sale thread bashing your car and/or price? :eek:oohhh:

Not cool.:grrrrr:

Knave, best of luck over there in G.B. Car sounds good, post pictures!!!

Michael

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks...I'm actually not desperate to sell truth be told. Keeping it with family in the US is an option and I'm still negotiating with the company to pay the cost of running her over there...and I think I'm winning :haha2:

But since selling was an option I wanted to get it on the board as well and hopefully find someone in the local area who would prefer an M5 in the hand to one they have to fly or ship cross country.

And as SLM5 stated, repairs to these things are costly and Maggie is a very low risk proposition with many of the known issues already taken care of (MAFS, gasket, clutch, fluids, etc)...this is worth a little something.

At the end of the day, capitalism rules out though and when the price is right the buyer will come...until then I agree with everyone who wants to keep a positive attitude about the attempts to sell these undervalued classics to be.

Cheers all.

Knave

·
Registered
683 Posts
Best of luck K in both selling Maggie and moving to London. I would keep my ears open if someone is interested in an M5 as I would not hesitate to recommend her knowing personally how much you love her and how well you have taking care of her.

Jim

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
OK. I've decided to get serious about selling. It is listed on Autotrader now for $24.5k. Quite a good deal. Let me know if anyone is interested.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts