4K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  davidstut 
#1 ·
Specs:
1991 BMW M5 - Brilliantrot over Light Silver Grey
195k miles
Zero Rust
Southwest car
No accidents

I had been looking for an E34 M5 since before I sold my E34 Touring earlier this year. I bought this accidentally on eBay in mid-Summer and had it shipped to me in the Midwest. It’s been a Nevada car it’s whole life and according to the Carfax, was mostly serviced at BMW of Las Vegas.

The car had some needs when I bought it.

The interior was in good shape, but a hole had been warn through on the driver’s bolster. I am a big-time user of ColourLock products and repaired the seat using their glue, filler and dye. The seat now presents very well.

The shift boot was worn and cracked so I bought new shift boot and e-brake covers from Condor Speed shop. I also bought their tall shift knob - mainly because I liked the look of it.

The original floor mats were shot - and I’m pretty particular about interiors - so I ordered a full Cocomat set - front and rear.

The window tint had peeled a bit in the corners, so I decided to have the windows professionally stripped and re-tinted at 35%. Looks fantastic. This was done just last week, so not all pictures show the current state of the tint.

The car came with naked M-systems so I sourced some covers from Europe. The covers are in outstanding condition (with brand new stainless bolts) and the wheels are decent (present great from 5-feet) but have clearly been refinished in the past.

On the exterior, the car had two glaring flaws. On the right rear C-pillar, the clear had given up. I’ve done some light paint work in the past so I decided to do the repair myself. The repair presents well. Close-up pictures included. Also, the passenger door had a significant dent - almost looked like someone had backed into the door. I had my PDR guy come and work it over - looks infinitely better and certainly doesn’t jump out. It also has some touch up paint covering the same door where the damage was previously.

The paint presents very well - Brilliantrot is a stunning color in person - and you’d be very proud taking this car to C&C. It does appear over time someone got a little aggressive when polishing on the edges, as in spots you see dark showing through. I have the same issue with my ’91 850 in Brilliantrot. I’ll get some pictures of what I’m talking about this weekend.

The SLS suspension had also failed when I took delivery, so I did the SLS-delete using the kit from ECS Tuning and put H&R/Bilsteins on all around.

Because I figured I’d have this a while (it is a bucket-list car for me and my first E34 M5), I bought the Mark D’Sylva chip. I have not yet installed it.

Other minor things - all new door handle gaskets went on this past weekend. The original radio had a burnt out screen, so I bought a refurbished unit and just installed it last week. Works flawlessly. No warning lights on the car at all. OBC pixels are perfect and bright.

On cold starts, I hear what I believe to be the secondary air pump making noise until the car warms up - usually a few minutes. I do not have any history on the car outside of what’s shown on the Carfax and what I’ve done. Link included below.

I’ve only put roughly 100 miles on it since I bought it since it was almost constantly in a state of “doing something to it”.

This one just looks outstanding - especially when sitting next to the other ’91 Brilliantrot car in my fleet. It’s not perfect but it’s a nice driver-quality M5 that the next guy or gal will enjoy.

No trades (unless you catch me in a weak moment and it’s a car + cash deal). Happy to help facilitate shipping if needed - I do it A LOT.

Price is $13,000.

See less See more
#3 ·
Does the AC blow cold ?
Also, does the fan clutch have the appearance of ever being replaced ?

Its been almost 12 yrs since I sold my last e34 M5, a rare 92, actually had a 91 as well. Your listing is somewhat good timing as I've been toying with the idea of revisiting one.

Lastly, can you confirm if the vacuum actuator that opens up the secondaries of the ITB's works ? if you're not sure how to do this... open the hood before starting it and once the key is at position 1 it should actuate the rod coming out of the vacuum canister...twice iirc.

Thanks !
Mike

#4 ·
I only owned it briefly during the summer months and drove it a handful of times, but I do recall the AC working. It was a Nevada car its whole like prior to moving to the midwest in July. Not sure not the fan clutch - I will go by the garage today to take a look at that as well as the vacuum actuator. I had someone else ask about that the other day.

I am doing a PPI for a potential buyer next Tuesday and he will be given the opportunity to buy the car afterwards - but I'm paying for the PPI so any information I get will be available to any other buyers.

Thanks for the response - I'll make sure this thread is kept up to date with any new info I have.

#8 ·
Just a heads up - I moved into the new garage at the house this past weekend and the M5 is parked in its new heated home. It is still for sale if someone is interested. Currently holding on to one car too many at the moment - so passively looking for a new owner.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.