BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Staggered setup for e39 M5. Chrome finish. Front tires have lots of tread left, rears will need to be replaced.

Only problem with the wheels is the chrome finish is bubbling on ONE of the front wheels in a couple locations where the spokes meet the rim. Other wheels are fine. Could use a good thorough cleaning though.

Asking $3000 shipped to anywhere in the US. Feel free to make me an offer.

Attachments

·
Registered
584 Posts
I see you found the tire shine! lol.

did you buy these new? were they chromed at HRE? have you gotten any quotes for repairing the wheel?
thanks!

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I see you found the tire shine! lol.
Aww, come on! They're just wet from spraying down the wheels.

did you buy these new? were they chromed at HRE? have you gotten any quotes for repairing the wheel?
thanks!

These came with my car when I bought it, so no I was not the original purchaser of these.

I don't know for sure that they were chromed at HRE, but have no reason so suspect otherwise.

Although not an official quote, I've heard numerous times somewhere around $250/wheel to re-chrome. Could be slightly more on these, as they are 3-piece - although that could possibly work in your favor here as it's only the hoop section on that wheel that has problems. I think powdercoat might run a bit less if you wanted to go that appraoch too.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Just spoke with couple of rim shop over here. apparently, HRE uses special fastener, and the hardware is very hard to get hands on. I think HRE don't really want anyone else to take their business..... anyways, out of 4 shop I spoke with, only 1 shop have the hardware to take them off, and they do charge a arm and a leg........

But i think this is still a very nice set of rim. maybe just use it as is until all the chrome is gone, then you get yourself a set of polished rim...... :)

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
But i think this is still a very nice set of rim. maybe just use it as is until all the chrome is gone, then you get yourself a set of polished rim...... :)
This is the approach I would take personally. The bubbling isn't noticeable from a few feet away and the only peeling is hidden under where the spokes meet the hoop.

I will work with a buyer though if they wanted to use RimPro (www.rimpro.com) , who happens to be located in my state. They're a very reputable wheel repair shop within the european car community. I can transport the wheels there etc. They list re-chrome starts at $275/wheel and takes 6 weeks because they only use one shop to do the chrome process - and they're located in CA.

So I guess for someone who would only consider perfect wheels, this is an option. You could have the one rim re-chromed, all wheels re-chromed, or any other finish you might want on them.

I think brand new, one of these wheels will run you close to $2000 each - so having an entire set refinished any way you want them would still be cheaper. Having the 1 wheel refinished in chrome would be your cheapest option. This may be something to consider for the many of you out there that don't like chrome wheels.

Oh and wheels are 19x9.5 and 19x8.5 HRE 840R, correct size and offsets for e39 M5. No spacers, rings, adapters needed. Tires are Dunlops, 275/30 rear, 245/35 front. Rears are bald, fronts don't have much tread wear.

I'll answer any other questions people may have and will respond to any offers you might have.

Nate

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
one other thought

Just a thought, but it may be possible to get a finished rim half from HRE or one of their distributors and replace the half with the chrome issues.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sold

Pending Payment

Thanks for everyone's interest and suggestions

1 - 9 of 9 Posts