BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been on "the list" at my dealer for sometime waiting for this car. my present M5 lease is up 7/06 so the timing is right, but I'm not as excited as I want to be. Where are the 0-60 numbers? an extra 112 hp over my present M5 and the difference to 60 is only 0.1 to 0.2 sec. the car is shorter, should be lighter with carbon fibre, where did the speed go? if they can't get past the numbers the e55amg and rs6 already have I think there will be a problem. I am well aware this car is going to be a better around and track car but I want better 0-60 times in a car touted as the premier M car. Am I off base or do others share my thoughts.

frank

·
Registered
675 Posts
hmmm,isn't it a case of diminishing returns ? Once you get up to a certain performance level the increase in HP and torque needed to improve those figures goes mad,for example a Porsche 996tt with a DMS chip produces up to 150bhp more than the standard car,yet the measured performance gains are limited,i.e you improve the engines power by 40% yet only get a 3-5% increase in performance.

·
Moderator Emeritus
10,698 Posts
Yes diminishing returns and also we have to consider the most important element- tires. I believe we have reached the level where street tires just can't really cope with the full on abilities of these cars. So they can be fun, but you need DSC to be safe and if you want to really maximize all that power, youll need more traction. Just my guestimate.

·
Registered
816 Posts
fgbaloh said:
if they can't get past the numbers the e55amg and rs6 already have I think there will be a problem. I am well aware this car is going to be a better around and track car but I want better 0-60 times in a car touted as the premier M car. Am I off base or do others share my thoughts.

frank
I think of course it will get past the numbers the E55AMG and RS6 already have, in the same league that the M5 does too. If 0-100km/h in about 4.6 secs ain't good enough, then you might like to wait for the CSL version (if there is gonna be one), or buy something else. Your American muscle car the C6 Corvette has been named a few times already.

Tyres are critical. I saw a recent Top Gear review where the tall guy (Clarkson?) test drove the CL 65 AMG (450kW of power). He deliberately turned off the traction and floored it. Guess what? The car didn't move an inch and the rear wheels smoked. That monster is over 2 tonnes. He then turned on traction and accelerated where he said something like why bother with all that power if when traction is turned on, the car accelerates much like any other high performance car.

For big heavy weights, which the M6 is (as a luxury GT), it's awesome. Just my 2 cents this time.

·
Registered
2,997 Posts
one word "torque" It just dont' have it. It's higher reving and way faster once moving though, and thats what it was built for, not a red light racer, more of a track like car.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Jayson said:
one word "torque" It just dont' have it. It's higher reving and way faster once moving though, and thats what it was built for, not a red light racer, more of a track like car.
Not quite, boy how some beliefs refuse to die.

The car is simply traction limited. Also remember that the "official" BMW numbers are conservative. Wasn't the E39 rated at 5.1s when it first came out?

·
Registered
2,997 Posts
Enigma said:
Not quite, boy how some beliefs refuse to die.

The car is simply traction limited. Also remember that the "official" BMW numbers are conservative. Wasn't the E39 rated at 5.1s when it first came out?
It has launch control

I think the E39 was always rated at 4.75to 60 but b4 that it was like 4.9 to 62mph, at least that I saw anyway.

Lets remember .1 is about half a car usally, so it's that slight jump you get sometimes, really not bad. It's gonna be highway killer like the E39 is anyway, least thats my belif.

·
Registered
4,412 Posts
Jayson said:
I think the E39 was always rated at 4.75to 60 but b4 that it was like 4.9 to 62mph, at least that I saw anyway.
The 2002 canadian M brochure publishes a 0-100km/h time of 5.3 sec. It's a good job currency exchange rates don't affect performance. :hihi::hihi:

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Since BMW appears to have already pulled off most of the CSL tricks... I doubt we will see one. At least one that is much lighter, perhaps more power, but that will be mainly computer/exhaust/intake mods.

And since the guy that started the thread is in the US, IF there is a CSL.. it is unlikely it will come here.

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
Jayson said:
The BMW published times for the E39 M5 were 5.1 and 5.3 for 0-60mph and 0-100kph per my recollection. While the E60 will be significantly faster than the E39 in these short sprints, it really flexes its muscles at higher speeds.

Tom

1 - 11 of 11 Posts