BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday I replaced my steering center link, tie rods, and idler arm. Before doing the work, I had no wobble at speed, this only started after replacing those parts. When replacing the center link I did remove the pitman arm to make it easier to get the old center link off, but I carefully measured it's position with calipers to ensure I realigned it perfectly when installing the new parts.

I also posted another thread about my alignment specs being off, my front camber and rear camber and toe are messed up, just had an alignment done today. It's possible that the two issues are related but I don't think they are, I've noticed uneven tire wear from side to side over the past few months so I doubt changing those parts messed up my alignment, but something definitely happened that started that wobble.

In January I replaced my thrust arms so I know thats not the issue.

The wobble starts around 47mph and is noticeable up to 80mph and maybe faster but I've yet to go faster than that. I feel it through the steering wheel but it's strong enough to feel through the seat as well. It doesn't happen 100% of the time though, it's intensity varies slightly depending on whether or not I'm turning and seems to get slightly worse with increased speed. It actually seemed to get a little worse after getting an alignment but take that observation with a grain of salt.

The part brands I used are MTC center link, Meyle tie rods, and URO Idler arm. Upon inspection, the new parts all seemed to look good with no noticeable flaws.

Hopefully I can get this and my alignment issue solved, I also posted my alignment issue thread today but the main focus of this thread is the wobble because I believe the issues are not connected. Unless the new steering parts being tighter with less play made an already existing issue noticeable?

I'll be rechecking my wheel lugs torque tomorrow to ensure they're not causing the issue, though I doubt it, best check to be safe.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! I've been working to perfect this car, while my steering feels responsive and tight, the wobble is a problem that urgently needs to be corrected!

·
Registered
109 Posts
Fix your alignment and give the suspension and steering a thorough inspection- check everything for play, including wheel bearings, tie rods, everything you just replaced, etc, and check your rotors for runout. If all is well check that your wheels are true and balanced.

Make sure no one (including yourself) is putting the wheels back on with an impact wrench, that’s a recipe for bending a rotor hat, and you will have to replace the bent rotors (which will cause a wobble).

If the wobble gets worse under breaking, see if it grows when the brakes are hotter- likely that’s a hot spot on a rotor. You can usually see that (looks like a dark stain). Hot spots if new won’t show as improper run out but will later as the rest of the rotor wears and the hot spotted area does not.

Wobbles are not areas of mystery, something has more play than it should or something is unbalanced, the cause can be found with correct diagnosis. No one can do that without actually looking at the car, so all people here can do is list the usual suspects or tell you what caused it on their car, IMHO your time is better spent inspecting the car.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Fix your alignment and give the suspension and steering a thorough inspection- check everything for play, including wheel bearings, tie rods, everything you just replaced, etc, and check your rotors for runout. If all is well check that your wheels are true and balanced.

Make sure no one (including yourself) is putting the wheels back on with an impact wrench, that’s a recipe for bending a rotor hat, and you will have to replace the bent rotors (which will cause a wobble).

If the wobble gets worse under breaking, see if it grows when the brakes are hotter- likely that’s a hot spot on a rotor. You can usually see that (looks like a dark stain). Hot spots if new won’t show as improper run out but will later as the rest of the rotor wears and the hot spotted area does not.

Wobbles are not areas of mystery, something has more play than it should or something is unbalanced, the cause can be found with correct diagnosis. No one can do that without actually looking at the car, so all people here can do is list the usual suspects or tell you what caused it on their car, IMHO your time is better spent inspecting the car.
+1 on the rotors

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Realized I also switched my spacers for a 10mm set I had in my garage for years, hopefully changing them back would solve my issue, will find out tomorrow. I didn't mess with anything else that could possibly cause a wobble other than removing the wheels but I always torque them down to 88lbft in a star pattern.

Otherwise my rotors look good, no apparent hot spots and they're probably around halfway through their life.

·
Registered
9,927 Posts
Did you clean all the mating surfaces before you put things back together? Even a few thou's at the hub become much more at the top of the tire.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Did you clean all the mating surfaces before you put things back together? Even a few thou's at the hub become much more at the top of the tire.
I didn't, I'll give that a shot! Thanks

·
Registered
01 Carbon/Silverstone Exhaust: Jedders-HJS high flow cats-resonator delete-Xpipe-Eisenman cans
2,510 Posts
When you did your thrust arms did you torque the nuts with the suspension loaded?

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
64 Posts
Are you using stock wheels or aftermarket? Did a hubcentric spacer/ring fall off when you were doing the work?

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Are you using stock wheels or aftermarket? Did a hubcentric spacer/ring fall off when you were doing the work?
Apex ARC-8s with 74.1mm center bore, my spacers didn't fall, just used older 10mm spacers which may be causing the issue.

I'll be changing the spacers back to the previous 15mm tomorrow, just need to retrieve my jack from a friend's house. I'm pretty certain the old spacers have some kind of issue causing this and it'll be fixed when I switch them back.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Great news, problem SOLVED!

As I suspected, the spacers I installed were bad so after putting my other set of spacers on the wobble is completely gone and the car drives as it should!

Thanks for the help everyone!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts