BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just did both front wheel bearings this weekend and I wanted mention a few things before I forget.

First off, Zeckhausen Racing has a great DIY page. Here is a link to the instructions I followed, complete with torque specs.
E39 Bearings

For parts, you have a couple options.
BMW of Solon(OH) $280
Pelican Parts Genuine BMW(LUK) $240
Pelican Parts - Product Information: 31-22-2-229-360-BOE

Pelican Parts Non OEM?(***) $160
Pelican Parts - Product Information: 31-22-2-229-360-M34

The part description for the (LUK) brand states 2.95lbs. I believe/hope this is a misprint. The (***) brand hub that I was sent weighed 7lbs and the hub I took of the car weighed 7lbs as well.

I did the job with no airtools and it went just fine. The one thing I will say is that your life will be SO much easier if you put some heat to the 4 bolts that attach the hub to the (steering knuckle?). I fought the first one for 15 minutes to get it off. On the other seven I heated the casting around the bolts for a few minutes and that seemed to loosen up the factory thread lock.

If you have never done it, the first side will take you 3 hours, the second side will take you an hour. Have fun and email me if you have any questions.

Paul in Cleveland
[email protected]

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
I went with *** 2 weeks ago and i believe they are the OEM supplier to some BMW parts. Has held up great. Although i paid $214 a piece :cool: . . It took about 4 hrs since i also did it without power tools and that includes the 1hr round trip to the store.

I know someone said you don't have to have the car on the ground to torque the control arms. . . Just use a jack on the knuckle while on the ground(of course when the car lifts off the stands you are fully compressed) tighten away and your good ;).

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

1 - 3 of 3 Posts