BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, so my M5 is going through a semi restoration of the front and rear suspension and after I broke down the front strut assembly I picked up the wheel bearing and the outer race seemed kinda loose and out it popped. Came out very easy however it will not go back in and seat on the balls again. I played around with the other one and it too popped right off and won;t go back in by hand. Tried a socket and a few light taps with a mallet and nothing. I only have 80k on the
chassis and they are still fine so before I try a press is there something I am missing here?

·
Registered
7,649 Posts
I am struggling to see what your issue is .

When you get your front strut back , simply push the wheel bearing back on , torque up the big nut and off you go .

D

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So the issue is the inner race will not seat back down inside, the one picture is kinda deceiving I guess as it looks like its in. So if I can get it out with minimal hand pressure I should be able to put it back in right? So your saying slide the inner race on the axle, then the rest of the hub and use the big nut to force it back in place inside the ball bearings?

·
Registered
7,649 Posts
When you drop the outer race ( the part immediately below the hub nut ) into the bearings how big is the gap between the inner and outer races ?

Do both races turn freely ?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
not sure about the gap as I am at work, but when it was complete it spun freely and I had no noise when the car was operational. It simply won't seat back down where it came out by hand, but it came out by hand which is odd, I wonder if the metal bearing cage has some tight tolerance and the slope of the race allows it to come out easily but not go back in.

·
Registered
7,649 Posts
They come out easily by hand and also slide back in just the same .

Once both the inner and outer races are back in , a small gap should be visible between them when looking from above .

Both races will turn freely too.

D

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok that makes sense, mine will not go back in by hand at all. Maybe if I froze the race it would?

·
Registered
482 Posts
Never use undue force in an attempt to install the cone as you will just destroy the bearing by putting dents (birnelling) in the bearing balls. Hence the bearing will not live long after that.
Bottom line, the cone fell out and it will go back together without forcing it.

The reason the bearing cone will not fit back in the bearings is: when the cone is pushed in the ball bearing are being force into the bearing race making the circumference for the bearings too small for the cone to be inserted. The object is to get the bearings and bearing separator off the outer race so the inner cone can be inserted.

Typically just rotating the cone while applying gentle pressure by hand will allow the bearing to move up the race and provide clearance for the cone to seat in the bearings.
However if that doesn't work there are also two methods that can assist in re-inserting the cone.
1) Tap the hub on the workbench or on a piece of wood with the bearing side down and without turning the hub over insert the cone from the bottom. This forces the bearings and bearing separator out of the outer race down toward the seal where the bearing circumference is not restricted by the outer bearing race.
2) Prop the hub in the vertical position, place the cone in position and use a plastic tool with an angle foot to pull the bearings and bearing separator out of the race toward the seal. Then by ever so gently rotate and insert the cone while coxing the cone into the bearings using the plastic tool.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts