BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
856 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The front underside belly protection pan - all plastic - has come loose and is hanging down. I haven't hit anything, nor has my wife. We did just get the car back a couple months ago from a new engine install, which had the whole front underside removed. When they placed the front underside protective pans back on, were they supposed to use thread lock or similar? It looks as though the nust have just come off the frame mounted studs. I'm planning on taking it in to the shop for them to lift and look at it. I'll have to zip-tie it back up for the drive up there - should look great that way.

·
Registered
4,143 Posts
there's a locking srew that holds the shield in place.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Suggest you get it fixed as it could do more damage to other parts like rods \wheel etc if it comes lose at speed, or worse.

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
The panel is held in place by screws - some of which are flimsy. You have securing bolts and quick release bolts. The flimsy ones are generally the quick release bolts which are numbered 3 & 5 in the link below. I know b/c i've taken the panel off myself.

take it to a shop, screw it back into place, or buy screws yourself and screw it back into place

end of story

diagram with part/part numbers:
http://realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=NB93&mospid=48807&btnr=51_5089&hg=51&fg=75

/thread

·
Registered
3,244 Posts
... When they placed the front underside protective pans back on, were they supposed to use thread lock or similar? It looks as though the nust have just come off the frame mounted studs.
The front plastic panel is supported by brackets with threaded studs, 4 nuts hold the panel in place. Several small screws attach the edge of the panel, but the nuts are the primary support. Thread lock is not needed on these nuts. It's much more likely the nuts were left off ouich

Older BMW models had similar panels secured with only screws and had a tendency to blow off. The bracket and nuts make the current design much more secure.

·
Registered
856 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
All very good information guys. I still plan to take it in with zip-ties, but I may look under again for the easy DIY repair just in case. It's mostly an issue of getting it back on as it's all pulled out and down together. I suppose I'll have to take the plastic self-tapping screws out first to get it all back up in place. I also need to elevate the front so I can actually get under there!

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
/\

you are correct Clyde. I clicked on the wrong picture when trying to copy the link on RealOem. The ouich is on me

·
Registered
856 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the help guys. The diagram was helpful for quick reference over the phone with BMW North, so I just had to bring it in quick and they had it squared away in a short time. The 4 nuts were all missing, so suspected they weren't tightened properly. All is well now.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I could find the part numbers for the screws with washer but not he nuts that are the main fastener. can any one name part number for the retaining nut shown??

It should be here but I just can find it.

Attachments

·
Registered
164 Posts
I could find the part numbers for the screws with washer but not he nuts that are the main fastener. can any one name part number for the retaining nut shown??

It should be here but I just can find it.
Can anyone comment on this, I've checked realOEM and I can't find the part number for that nut anywhere. I'm missing a few of those as well as the stud that attaches to the support bar.

·
Registered
1 Posts
For those who are still searching for that nut, the part number is 26117574872. It's called Flange nut with washer & costs $3 bucks. I'm in the process of replacing the front engine shield and the belly pan on my car.
Screen Shot 2020-05-22 at 2.58.48 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-05-22 at 2.58.55 PM.png

1 - 15 of 15 Posts