BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been advised that I need new 'thrust arm' bushings.

From what I have read, it seems to me that the best bet is to go with the 1995 M5 bushings (which were standard on my Aus version M-Sport), rather than change to 750i or polyurethane alternatives.

My research tells me that the part number for these is 31122226528.

However, I note from past posts that many people have changed some of the hard bits when replacing bushings - like the upper control arm etc.

What advice can people give me about what else I should change/look out for and the part numbers. Is the part number I have found above the correct one?

Thanks in advance.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
840 Posts
We just did the 750 control arm bushings....nothing to the thrust arms though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
757 Posts
Re: front suspension maintenance - Plisken?

M540i LE said:
Plisken - you have been through your front suspension recently - any recommendations?

Cheers
Basically everything was replaced with exception of the Steering Box, however, if I decided to keep the car beyond the Spring, then this too will be replaced.

I had to have a couple of bushes replaced twice, as a direct result of them being torqued preloaded. I also was wrongly advised that I could replace the EDCIII units indevidually, this is apparently not the case and they must be replaced in pairs.

Most probably the things that made the biggest difference was the Top Mounts, they really change the way the steering felt.

I have previously with other cars went the after market/uprated route, but though that being an M5, standard would be enough. Especially since I am using dealers, don't want them to have an excuse like, those aren't standard parts my son.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
840 Posts
Yeah, the 540i just had the top mounts replaced today...and it's much tighter up front...think the old, cracked mounts might have created some unwanted negative camber up front...the S03s on the front are just bald on the inside with plenty of life on the rest of the tire.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Can I have more info on what the top mount is. I have access to various ETK type websites and have hopefully attached some pics. Maybe you could confirm what you mean by the top mount by reference to them.

By the way, what I already have planned is the replacement of the parts numbered '7' and '8' on the first attachment.

Thanks
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
757 Posts
M540i LE said:
Can I have more info on what the top mount is. I have access to various ETK type websites and have hopefully attached some pics. Maybe you could confirm what you mean by the top mount by reference to them.

By the way, what I already have planned is the replacement of the parts numbered '7' and '8' on the first attachment.

Thanks
I'd go for part number 1 on the 2nd image...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Plisken. I appreciate the help.

And best wishes for Christmas. I expect you will be having a cold one up there in Scotland.

Down under, we will be having the traditional roast turkey in shorts and t-shirts, with a swim afterlunch!:2:

Cheers
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
757 Posts
M540i LE said:
Thanks Plisken. I appreciate the help.

And best wishes for Christmas. I expect you will be having a cold one up there in Scotland.

Down under, we will be having the traditional roast turkey in shorts and t-shirts, with a swim afterlunch!:2:

Cheers
It is pretty cold here just now, but check my other thread about having my microfilter replaced, best £64 I've spent on the M so far, snug as a bug...

All the best...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
970 Posts
Hi

We had a thread just recently on thrust arm bushes: http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=49110

I've had both the original M5 bushes and the urethane. Both failed, I'm using the 750i bushes at present and both are holding out, and have enhanced the tautness of the feeling tremondously. I've also had top mounts replaced, but the most noticeable thing I did was tighten the 32mm nut on the steering column. It's taken most of the play out of the steering which I had put down to the steering box being worn?

Hope that helps

Cheers

Brian






M540i LE said:
Thanks Plisken. I appreciate the help.

And best wishes for Christmas. I expect you will be having a cold one up there in Scotland.

Down under, we will be having the traditional roast turkey in shorts and t-shirts, with a swim afterlunch!:2:

Cheers
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Trevor

Do you have the part number for your new top mounts. I am getting conflicting advice as to the appropriate part - I think because the 540i's had 2 alternative set-ups - the standard and one identical to the 1995 M5.

The first number I have is:
31 33 1 139 437

The second:
31 33 2 227 366

I presume mine is the same as the M5, but wanted to check with you, as I am almost certain mine would be the same as yours.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers

Mtechnik540i said:
Yeah, the 540i just had the top mounts replaced today...and it's much tighter up front...think the old, cracked mounts might have created some unwanted negative camber up front...the S03s on the front are just bald on the inside with plenty of life on the rest of the tire.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
840 Posts
M540i LE said:
Trevor

Do you have the part number for your new top mounts. I am getting conflicting advice as to the appropriate part - I think because the 540i's had 2 alternative set-ups - the standard and one identical to the 1995 M5.

The first number I have is:
31 33 1 139 437

The second:
31 33 2 227 366

I presume mine is the same as the M5, but wanted to check with you, as I am almost certain mine would be the same as yours.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers
We've got the 2nd one on ours...

31 33 2 227 366
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
840 Posts
M540i LE said:
Thanks Trevor. That information backs up what I thought to be the case. Same part as the 1995 M5.

Cheers
No problem, happy holidays.
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Top